Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This apparently caused a scare in NYC in 2012:

Crooked Columns in Union Square Building Construction Are No Mistake
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...ew-School-Building-Design-Plan-172216071.html

But it's no mistake, according to the dean at Parsons' New School for Design, which is part of The New School. Instead, it's an engineering achievement.
"It's the most efficient way to carry all of the different structural loads of the building from the top of the foundation," said Joel Towers.

Finally got my first look at this thing in person yesterday. Was expecting it to extend a little closer to Franklin street, I guess just from looking at all the pictures on this thread. So its footprint is a little bit smaller than I was expecting. Very excited for this thing to be moving along however.

They just raised the core closest to the Hawley St. side and the top of that core now sits approx. 20 feet from the cab of the shorter crane.

Was down there today, taking a few pics of the construction progress after my doctor's appointment. :cool:

I like Photobucket because you can keep albums organized, but you can also use tinypic.com to upload them 1 by 1.

Can't speak for the other host sites, but Photobucket has been slowly but surely removing functionality from the site. Now the absolute biggest pics you can put up there are 1024x768! They suck!

Flickr. Pics as big as you want. Only slightly less functional after they made it "better", still superior to photobucket.

Can't speak for the other host sites, but Photobucket has been slowly but surely removing functionality from the site. Now the absolute biggest pics you can put up there are 1024x768! They suck!

Actually thanks for that info. I've been wondering why photos I've uploaded to Photobucket lately have been pretty low res.

There is also Image Shack, which I've already joined.

The problem is trying to get the pics to this & other forums!

imgur is the best. Upload the pics and it gives you the link with the img tags already attached.

Summer st T entrance is now open

https://twitter.com/DTownBostonBID/status/519142570732294144

BzRdateIAAAWWTD.jpg

At the top of each of the round columns on the street-level floor facing Washington, there is an irregular black blotch. They don't look to be random and certainly don't make sense to me. Can someone explain why they're there?

Thats the new sinage standard... I hate it.

I can see where they're coming from. I have often been in situations where I wanted to know where the T station was but preferred to be surprised by which lines stopped there. It keeps things interesting.

It's even worse in that neighborhood because there are so many stations right on top of each other and a lot of them have distant entrances quite close to other stations. Also, what about visitors from other countries? If they can't read English, wouldn't they like the bold line colors to navigate by?

At the top of each of the round columns on the street-level floor facing Washington, there is an irregular black blotch. They don't look to be random and certainly don't make sense to me. Can someone explain why they're there?

I'm not a concrete expert but I would guess this is some sort of test site. Possibly they drilled and patched and the black is a sealant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back