Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walked by this one tonight, a few times actually. Looks like they are about finished forming the 13th floor and part of the core is up to 14. I noticed 3 distinct changes from last week.

1. They were in the process of hoisting the crane so that should look taller next week.

2. It's the first time I have seen a section of the crane actually attached to the building, answering a question I asked earlier.

3. There is new cladding on the side of the tower facing the Burnham building, noticeable from Hawley Street.

Oh yeah almost forgot. This is unrelated to MT but don't know where else to put it. The glass top of One Post Office Square was lit up tonight, pretty strange looking and obviously a surprise. It was changing colors, mostly said Boston with some symbol next to it, and also had a Hebrew message come up at one point. It was all very offbeat, and actually altered the feel of the place (somewhat barely). I wonder if this is going to be the new normal, and if any other buildings might follow suit in the future?

Last edited:
Regarding One Post Office Square/nightlighting in general, I hope so. The city could stand a boost to our nighttime presence.

Thanks for the updates!

I saw the top ( one po sq) lit up from the Allston tolls tonight,looked great on the skyline,ok back to this thread :)

I feel like a child asking his parents for something but someone ANYONE updates on this project and I'd lovvveeee to see that night light at 1 POS. Post office square that is.

Not that I'm complaining about the glass, but is there a reason why some towers seem to put up the glass/cladding as they go up, and others wait until the tower is topped out?

Not that I'm complaining about the glass, but is there a reason why some towers seem to put up the glass/cladding as they go up, and others wait until the tower is topped out?

I think in this case they want to get the lower retail section of the tower as built out as possible ASAP so that they can attract a tenant. It also helps sell the tower to condo owners as well.

I think in a lot of cases it has to do with space for staging. Typically, all of your glass let's say is going to show up at the same time. Whether on site, or at a warehouse. If at a warehouse, you want to do it all as quick as possible to not pay for warehouse space of material you're not using for months.

In the case of this building, I think the podium got skin quick so they could heat it and make it construction office space, because there is not room for trailers in the area. The overall size and height of the podium floors allow for safe stowage of materials on site that would otherwise be kept off site like copper that is a high theft item. The more they can have on site instead of needing to truck into the area is key at a site like this due to traffic and the fact that the roads are shut to traffic.

Load up lots of materials on site, and truck them in on a more spread out controlled schedule.

Limit the trucks daily to the ones you can't avoid, such as the ones with concrete.

What we need is a webcam and some duck tape -- mount a small, unobtrusive camera to the top of the stairs structure on the 10th floor of the parking garage -- this would be one of the most popular web cams in Boston area -- any takers out there?

I think that someone in the AB universe works right near MT. Correct?

My office is on Franklin right next to it, but I can't see the tower from it because of the party wall of the adjacent building. Darn density. =(

My office is on Franklin right next to it, but I can't see the tower from it because of the party wall of the adjacent building. Darn density. =(

Ehhhh, probably for the best. Otherwise, how could you expect to get any work done for the next couple years?!

I think that someone in the AB universe works right near MT. Correct?

I work across Hawley St from it. total slacker on taking pics though, what can i say. I am glad they've gotten up past my floor, it was DAMNED distracting there for a while. At least it was never directly in my view, i had to actually go walk to a corner conference room to look. Otherwise I'd probably be at the curb by now.

There is now 1 more floor of cladding in this view, the first residential. Saw it lit up at night, and that floor looks tiny compared to the ones below it! I wonder when they will clad more on that side than just the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back