Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
The vibrant urban life of DTX?

As JohnKeith said in post #3769 in this thread:

"Exactly what the F are those people sitting in the stands in image 2 supposed to be looking at? The Payless across the street?"

Yeah, it's "Times Square-esque" in the fact that it has a riser and exists in the United States of America.

Now, would you say that the vista extends more or less than 50 feet?

I've been on those Times Square bleachers. It's a spectacular view into Times Square.

Can you tell me what the view will be from THESE bleachers?

I'd have to say at best it'll probably be a nice place to sit and have lunch. Grab some Sam LaGrassa's and enjoy some time outside the office.

I think the remark on the glass panels being filthy is probably a major part of (if not the entire reason) why some people think they look "meh" to date. They're gross. There's also no sense in cleaning them until work on the exterior is complete. There are clean spots (namely on the Washington St. side) and I think they look great.

Anyway, the crane is visible from Charles MHG. I almost cropped it, but this gives a better sense of what you see when standing on the platform:
MT%20Charles%20MGH_zpsqjbydipx.jpg

*edit*
Perspective is fun. 45 Province Appears fairly tall relative to much taller buildings like One Financial and the Fed. MT is really going to "SOAR!!!!" from this angle.

As JohnKeith said in post #3769 in this thread:

"Exactly what the F are those people sitting in the stands in image 2 supposed to be looking at? The Payless across the street?"

Yeah, it's "Times Square-esque" in the fact that it has a riser and exists in the United States of America.

Now, would you say that the vista extends more or less than 50 feet?

So because the bleachers are Times Square-esque, they must have the proper view or be worthless?

So because the bleachers are Times Square-esque, they must have the proper view or be worthless?

Nope. Not saying it's worthless. I think it is great that the city is getting a much needed public sitting area - - let's do more!

But, c'mon, "Times Square-esque" is kind of funny.

Yes, both scenarios are bleachers and they are both in cities.

One has a sweeping and iconic view. One looks 50 feet ahead at a parking garage and a Payless shoestore.

I guess I watched my son's baseball game this weekend on some "Times Square-esque' seating. :D

Last edited:
One of the crazier things I've read in this thread. This building has retail that runs all the way around Filene's down the street and into the base of the tower. Add in a stone plaza out front with trees, lighting, benches, and a times square esque set of bleachers and this is nothing like the Hancock. The skinny side of the tower is whats pointing toward washington st. So you walk past the Filenes building, the podium in-between, and that corner of Millennium tower all with retail in them and end at the bleachers.

boston_millennium-tower-boston_6.jpg

vs

150313_hancock_017a.jpg

Not to mention the ground floor of the hancock actually isn't that bad because nonstop retail in every single building would be repetetive and the hancock has amazing mirrored images on its facade in the daytime.

That side entrance used to be where visitors could go to take the elevators up to the top floor's obs deck when it was open before 09-11. :cool:

I'd have to say at best it'll probably be a nice place to sit and have lunch. Grab some Sam LaGrassa's and enjoy some time outside the office.

Best pastrami in town. Chow down while listening to the trashcan drummer or the Andean "Good, the Bad and the Ugly" band.

Maybe install a big screen TV on a pole and tune it to Red Sox/Patriots games.

Nope. Not saying it's worthless. I think it is great that the city is getting a much needed public sitting area - - let's do more!

But, c'mon, "Times Square-esque" is kind of funny.

Yes, both scenarios are bleachers and they are both in cities.

One has a sweeping and iconic view. One looks 50 feet ahead at a parking garage and a Payless shoestore.

I guess I watched my son's baseball game this weekend on some "Times Square-esque' seating. :D

Oh yeah, I agree the shoe-horned name is weird...

We have nothing close to a times square in Boston but this will suffice as a place to sit downtown and people watch, grab a bite to eat, read a book, after walking around in DTX.

So the obvious question, which I already know the answer, is does anyone really want a Time Sq?

So the obvious question, which I already know the answer, is does anyone really want a Time Sq?

I wouldn't mind more lights at night...I think it creates a sense of place which I think boston lacks.

Times square is one of the worst places on earth. Can we please stop idolizing it?

I wouldn't mind more lights at night...I think it creates a sense of place which I think boston lacks.

I hate the restrictions on neon and lights in this city... neon might look tacky one every single commercial establishment, but i agree that it lends a sense of place and action. the old kevin lynch photos have great neon all over old boston, and it's a shame just how boring and quiet things have gotten around here... all those new signs with the wan backlighting that the city grudgingly allows are so tepid. cant we ever have any excitement in boston?

Best pastrami in town. Chow down while listening to the trashcan drummer or the Andean "Good, the Bad and the Ugly" band.

Maybe install a big screen TV on a pole and tune it to Red Sox/Patriots games.

Toby, if you havent had it, go to Michael's Deli in Coolidge Corner. But Sam D'G's is excellent.

Yeah. No one likes Times Square except wide-eyed tourists.

I hate the restrictions on neon and lights in this city... neon might look tacky one every single commercial establishment, but i agree that it lends a sense of place and action. the old kevin lynch photos have great neon all over old boston, and it's a shame just how boring and quiet things have gotten around here... all those new signs with the wan backlighting that the city grudgingly allows are so tepid. cant we ever have any excitement in boston?

Every time I come home from Tokyo, night time Boston feels about as alive and exciting as some far-flung Tokyo burb no one here has ever heard of. Granted, I don't expect Boston to compare with the world's largest metropolis - one which perfected neon signage - but I would love to see more night lighting, both at street level and on buildings.

Boston has no Union Square, Dundas Square, Shibuya Crossing, Kings Cross (Sydney's, that is), Marina Bay, Causeway Bay, etc. Why is that?

No native New Yorker likes Time Square, but plenty of native Torontonians love Dundas, plenty of native San Franciscans love Union Square, plenty of native Singaporeans love Marina Bay and every Honky I've ever met loves Causeway Bay.

Toby, if you havent had it, go to Michael's Deli in Coolidge Corner. But Sam D'G's is excellent.

Thanks! I'll check it out when I go over to see the "Blade Runner" director's cut at CCT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back