Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
From 2/24 office visit to the site (please excuse the phone quality):

The awnings are apparently recreations from the original design (I guess they were only at the corners)

The lobby is surprisingly small as a result of the space Primark and Roche Bros are taking up. The design near the elevators is supposed to reflect some of the exterior design elements as well.

To deal with all storage and loading bay capacity issues, all deliveries will be handled by the other stores.

Who'd have thunk it, Roche Bros is using a lot of subway tile :

Elevator down from Summer St.

I rarely have strong feelings about grocers. But, the one and only time I went to a Roche Bros. I could not wait to get out, and had feelings of nothing but hate as I exited.

I don't know what it was. The layout sucked and was not intuitive. The selection sucked. The prices were awful with so many other options nearby.

I went in with open mind thinking 'I'll give this a shot, never been in one, and I've heard good things'. Left shaking my head.

I have not before or since had any comparable feelings about any grocer. Although, I'm pretty sure I have never been to a Whole Foods, so that could change.

Weird. I grew up near a Roche Bros. and doesn't feel appreciably different than the remodeled Star Markets. Maybe you don't like those either.

I don't like Shaw's but that's mostly because of how dim and yellow everything is, but it doesn't make me too upset. Star is usually fine as well. S&S, no problems until they reorganized the locations of all their racks to make you walk around more. Trucchi's, never had an issue. Johnnies when they were around I liked a lot. Never been in a Big Y. Stop & Save before they became Sudbury Farms or whatever the other branch is, were among my favorites. Market Basket, while mobbed, is fine by me.

It's weird. It was such a strong feeling that it stuck with me. It may have just been the location in Bridgewater that really struck me as awful. I have high hopes for the DTX market. Just jaded by my one trip.

I think I've commented on this before, but while I get that the unfinished look is cool (and I love it), the underside of those fireproof terracotta tiles look like shit. Unlike actual factory buildings where the underside of the floors was meant to be exposed (not seen by the general public, but still), this was never meant to see the light of day. It just looks bad.

Idk what's uglier - the unfinished underslab of the floor slabs or the ACT ceiling in the break room.

Now for some views of the tower. At the time they were pouring floor 15. We were told that even despite all of the snow they were only about one week behind schedule.

Back inside:

I should note, the ceiling height in Roche is pretty short due to it being in the basement. It didn't feel too claustrophobic to me, but who knows what it will be like at lunch or 5pm on a workday.

I'll also note, I never realized that the Summer St. side of the building was concave.

I am usually partial to the unfinished look. This may be the worst execution of it I have ever seen.

Many thanks for posting these pictures Hutchison. It is great to get a peek.

As for an example of a residential with good glass, umm, Trump Chicago?

Yes, that is a nice building. But, I'm not entirely sure I'd go as far as to say the cladding itself is nicer than MT's. We'll have to wait until MT is fully cladded, cleaned up, and even occupied to judge the finished product. Obviously though, Trump overall is a far more impressive tower in the scheme of things.

Most minuscule criticism ever but walking by the red/orange line entrance at corner of Winter & Washington I noticed how small the staircase looks. Maybe it's the same size as the old one but it sure doesn't look it and that's disappointing.

More from 4/5 some looks at the glass. Looked dirty but I'm very optimistic about it.

Last edited:
The reflection of other buildings in the windows is really cool, especially the reflection of One Boston Place!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back