Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best photo of the day. Credit Lou Jones.

CPInkUBWEAAsxa2.jpg:large

I don't know if they used a filter, and the trees starting to change definitely helped, but this one looks like an old-time postcard.

At the rate the glass has been going up, it'll probably be what, less than a month before this assumes something close to its final look?

so i imagine the mechanicals will go up from this level and be surrounded by steel and this was the top of the occupied, CIP space. Correct?

At the rate the glass has been going up, it'll probably be what, less than a month before this assumes something close to its final look?

I think you're a little overly optimistic here. It has 10+ floors worth of glass to go, plus they need to form the mechanical top and clad that as well. I would guess it should look somewhat close to final by Thanksgiving. Then they just need to "zip" up the gaps where the construction elevators are.

From Boylston St in front of Verb last Friday:
zusHV55h.jpg

I'm just imagining the spine of 4 spires lined up from this view when 1 Dalton/Four Seasons Tower tops out...

I don't know if they used a filter, and the trees starting to change definitely helped, but this one looks like an old-time postcard.

Best photo of the day. Credit Lou Jones.

CPInkUBWEAAsxa2.jpg:large
This is a real keeper

it will be in the Hall of Fame archive of the mind with the guy out on the beam retrieving the tree on the top of One Beacon St. -- back in the day when the Globe still had some clout

Isn't there supposed to be a rooftop or enclosed swimming pool on top of the tower?
I think I read about it somewhere a while ago. :cool:

First of all, beautiful pics DZH. You really managed to capture how fantastic the tower looks in real life, and how it dominates from pretty much everywhere.

Secondly, holy crap does Boylston need to loose a lane and gain a ton of street trees. It's absolutely barren compared to the test of the back bay streets. It feels this way in real life too, but this shot exemplifies it perfectly.

Mostly just link bait but ...

The Millennium Tower Is Boston’s Future—And Certainly Not Mine

For the vast majority of those who live here, the third-tallest building in Boston will be a nagging reminder of what’s hopelessly out of reach.

By Kyle Clauss | Boston Magazine

Walking across the Longfellow Bridge from Central Square to Back Bay at night, the brightest structure on either side of the Charles River is the nearly completed Millennium Tower, though it is doubtful the building’s evening glow will be as ostentatious once its industrial work lights are plucked from its beams. At 60 stories and 685 feet, it will be the tallest residential building in Boston’s largely unremarkable skyline and third-tallest overall, behind “The Skyscraper Formally Known as the Hancock Tower” and the Pru.

Born under the auspices of the late Tom Menino and built by one-time Olympic ringleader John Fish’s Suffolk Construction, the Millennium Tower has been heralded as the “most important residential building in Boston since the Ritz-Carlton,” a name evoking comparable excess. As of last week’s topping-off ceremony, 90 percent of its units were sold following a series of deals worth hundreds of millions. To market the $37.5 million penthouse crowning the luxury high-rise, developers sent a drone up 685 feet, to help potential buyers wrap their well-coiffed noggins around just how spectacular their view of Boston would be.

Those inhabiting the Millennium Tower home will enjoy a litany of amenities: Chef Michael Mina’s new, closed-to-the-public restaurant, as well as a private dining service overseen by the James Beard Award-winning chef, including “cooking classes, video demonstrations from Mina, and a private screening room, where the chefs will prepare special ‘tailgate’ menus on game days”; a tailored personal training program; round-the-clock concierge; and of course, valet parking.

There was a time when the erection of a skyscraper was a reason for intense civic pride. It meant the city was growing, business was booming, and everything pulsed to Gershwin’s Rhapsody in Blue. It was a symbol, wrought from steel and glass, of prosperity and strength. The structure would be a new landmark—something new to emblazon on postcards and T-shirts, to include in your directions to ambling tourists, to see from a distance, forehead pressed against a bus window and think, “I’m back home.” If a city’s skyline is a metonym for its identity, any new addition must advance its character without subverting it.

The Millennium Tower, in this sense, is a failure.

... continues ...

Yeah we totally should have just built a Boston version of Cabrini Green there instead. Just so we can all feel better about our personal financial situation.

This is why this person is a journalist. He writes about things he doesn't understand because if he knew how the urban economy works, then he would know that you can't plop down a Section 8 or middle class apartment skyscraper in the middle of downtown. He gets it right that the city should also go for middle income apartments, though, but again that is dictated by location, location, location.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back