Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why this person is a journalist. He writes about things he doesn't understand because if he knew how the urban economy works, then he would know that you can't plop down a Section 8 or middle class apartment skyscraper in the middle of downtown. He gets it right that the city should also go for middle income apartments, though, but again that is dictated by location, location, location.

1) Happy Birthday, KentXie!

2) The answer to creating more middle income apartments is an economic one: saturate the market with new housing supply to keep up with demand. How do you saturate the market? Policy makers need to make it less cumbersome to build here; heavily invest in infrastructure now that will yield benefits in the long-term rather than be a bandaid for the next few years; and streamline the large projects review process so it takes weeks... not years.

1) Happy Birthday, KentXie!

2) The answer to creating more middle income apartments is an economic one: saturate the market with new housing supply to keep up with demand. How do you saturate the market? Policy makers need to make it less cumbersome to build here; heavily invest in infrastructure now that will yield benefits in the long-term rather than be a bandaid for the next few years; and streamline the large projects review process so it takes weeks... not years.

Thanks and agreed.

But who gives a shit that rich people will live in a kick ass building downtown? Where else would they live? And what's the difference if it were a office building and Bain leased the entire space? This whole "we've lost our soul" is dramatic, if not bonkers and demonstrates a naked agenda (to further the author's hard-left sensibilities). But the again, it's Boston Magazine, which is to say it is dog shit. Must be tough to be an editor there and reel in the author's first cut to this. Either that or it's just a really easy job.

21644582386_56ca79bb66_b.jpg

21659233242_fe857032a3_b.jpg

21483807379_8150ae28ac_b.jpg

Haven't seen the glass going up for a week or more. Could just be perception from Southie.

This is in the realm of my rarely-used description for buildings: "delicious"!

Last edited:
Haven't seen the glass going up for a week or more. Could just be perception from Southie.

I watched them wrap some glass through Wednesday of this week, but nothing more afterward (at least not visible from my perspective).

A series from this past week -

Tuesday, 9/22 from Essex St.:

21722558591_1b79909b28_z.jpg

Wednesday, 9/23 from Charles St.:

21701778632_ff42f05610_c.jpg

Thursday, 9/24 from Surface Rd.:

21526476499_684ca11eca_c.jpg

Friday, 9/25 pulling out of South Station on the CR:

21713314995_ba985c3932_c.jpg

Just looking at those pix -- Makes me envious of Chef Mina's cooking that I will not be able to enjoy while "virtually tailgating"

from Masspike /128 dam light pole! the old and the new from South bay last week

It really is a nice tower. How'd we get something so nice build here in the 21st century?

Found this site a while back but forgot about it until recently - to my regret. Boston is booming. Thought I'd offer some progress shots from 100 Federal:

5/5
image_zps0zicjbet.jpeg

6/2
image_zps7wdldskf.jpeg

6/19
image_zpsafuvu42x.jpeg

6/29
image_zpsgcviclax.jpeg

7/27
image_zpsafuvu42x.jpeg

8/7
image_zpsp6qkzqw2.jpeg