Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shoppers Park from TJ Maxx today:

1Cl5e9B.jpg

Bleh, so based on what's going on here, it looks like the stairs themselves aren't getting rehabbed and project scope is limited to superficial reconstruction of the head house? What a waste...

Had we not spent so many years with Filene's Pit and rushed construction, we could've pushed for at least a rehab of part of the Winter Street concourse and abutting parts of the Downtown Crossing concourse a la the (failed) Hilton Passageway transit benefit or the approved transit hall in One Vanderbilt... alas...

I thought that the tower had only one crane. Now it has two?

No picture to share, but the framing for the mechanical screen is currently going up. As I was imagining it basically slopes up right from the southwestern corner in plan. The lowest point of the "crown" will be at the uppermost concrete floor plate as seen in the recent pictures above. Did see a couple construction people up there, which helped give a sense of scale. I'm guessing the screened portion adds 40' to the top, which would make sense given what I previously posted about the temporary standpipe sign marking the roof height at 645'. Since the second floor from the top is the highest occupied, the figure of 625' makes sense for there.

Last edited:
Since the second floor from the top is the highest occupied, the figure of 625' makes sense for there.

Why does the top floor have a balcony then...?

Why does the top floor have a balcony then...?

Just to give the crown some depth.

I think we're just referring to things differently. The top "floor" doesn't have a balcony. The highest occupied level is where the balcony (really a terrace) is, above which is another level. The oft-cited building height of 625' is to the top of the highest occupied floor. In this case, there is another level framed out in concrete above, which is apparently for mechanicals that must be indoors; I believe the top of that level is 645', and then however many feet for the screen they're currently erecting.

Stupid question. I know that concrete is an excellent sound insulator but wouldn't the penthouse occupants still be able to feel/hear all that equipment right above their heads?

Stupid question. I know that concrete is an excellent sound insulator but wouldn't the penthouse occupants still be able to feel/hear all that equipment right above their heads?

No - precautions would be taken to prevent that. Most equipment would be placed on isolation pads to prevent the transfer of vibration. I would also expect that the soundproofing would be top notch in this building through out. Especially for the prices Millennium is expecting.

I can only see this from the distance at the moment but it looks like they have the steel up for the higher side of the crown. (remember, it slopes from BOTH Hawley St towards Washington St as well as from Summer St side towards Franklin St side, so the current pics only show the shorter part towards Summer St)

If my eyes do not deceive me, I am pretty happy with the result.

I saw it today. I think the highest piece of steel is up for the crown- it comes up right under the crane cab, and it's going to look beautiful. Pictures later, if no one beats me to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back