Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
People are always saying these luxury condos are going to sit empty. I see this building lit up from top to bottom every night.

Yeah the "sit empty" thing never made much sense; it's just lousy political argument. Sure the Grakens of the world might not be at one of their 10 houses on any given night, but for 90%+ of these condos, even if it's an absentee Chinese owner, they're going to rent the damn thing out...that's the whole point. It becomes an income property for the investor. At the end of the day, we want a vibrant city...and whether Millenium tower is 100% owner-occupied or not, or partially renter-occupied doesn't matter in the least for that.

Yeah the "sit empty" thing never made much sense; it's just lousy political argument. Sure the Grakens of the world might not be at one of their 10 houses on any given night, but for 90%+ of these condos, even if it's an absentee Chinese owner, they're going to rent the damn thing out...that's the whole point. It becomes an income property for the investor. At the end of the day, we want a vibrant city...and whether Millenium tower is 100% owner-occupied or not, or partially renter-occupied doesn't matter in the least for that.

Even a 50% occupied building with an overly fancy sushi restaurant (probably the most cynical view one could take on MT) is still infinitely better than a hole in the ground.

I'm so glad they are keeping Franklin St closed to traffic. They haven't announced whether this is permanent, but I know the city was strongly considering it. When it was open before construction, it was supposed to be cabs and buses only. But we all know how well people obeyed that restriction. The buses were rerouted because of construction. (And I must say I do like not having the buses going through there anymore. I'm sure it makes the bus trip a bit faster too since it now turns left from Devonshire onto Milk St instead of doing the extra loop through the ped zone.)

The stairs atop the Orange Line entrance are open. I climbed up and grabbed the following panorama:

kCmlrfol.jpg

Full size image here: http://imgur.com/kCmlrfo

Wtf is on that building directly to the right of MT? I remember they were renovating one of those buildings I hope thats not what we ended up with. Besides that this came out amazing, thanks for the shot.

Wtf is on that building directly to the right of MT? I remember they were renovating one of those buildings I hope thats not what we ended up with. Besides that this came out amazing, thanks for the shot.

Do you mean the building with the grey stone in front? That's where the Barnes & Noble used to be--the stone had the logo on it. The owner sought too much rent, Barnes moved out, and now it lies fallow. It's been that way for a decade.

This city really needs a blight tax. Hopefully it gets moving soon now that it doesn't face a construction hole.

Do you mean the building with the grey stone in front? That's where the Barnes & Noble used to be--the stone had the logo on it. The owner sought too much rent, Barnes moved out, and now it lies fallow. It's been that way for a decade.

Oh okay I somehow have never noticed.

I have high hopes for this plaza. At first glance, it seems like it is an inviting public space that will be engaging for shoppers and pedestrians. Though architecturally night-and-day different, I am hoping for an effect similar to the Spanish Steps in Rome, where everyone is always sitting down to eat their lunch, chat, and enjoy the outdoors...the steps seem to cry out: sit down, enjoy...

I agree I feel as a city were good at finding spots to just chill out and relax, no doubt in my mind these will be popular.

Im going to miss our "twin" effect the back bay has with the older sister and younger more more attractive one when 1 dalton is built, but Ill get over it.

I was up on the 53rd floor earlier this evening... views are spectacular. Some comments:

1. Elevator system in the building is fast as fuck.
2. Elevator system in the building is a shit show. BFD was bailing out one of the elevators in the restaurant (Pabu) which got stuck with like eight people in it.
3. I found the layout of the 53rd floor unit to be... eh, not to my tastes, but for $7.2 million it can be yours! The bedroom setup just is nonsensical. The living, dining, kitchen space with a good decorator could be amazing.

I didn't take pictures of the unit. Got a couple of the spectacular night time view. Maybe i'll post them later.

Millenium spokesman seemed pretty bullish on Winthrop Sq. project FWIW. Also said that for the 400 units in Millenium Tower they had 2,200 interested parties of which more than half were actually serious.

Edit: The restaurant on Floor 2 (not the private resident only place) is named Pabu. No super thorough review on the place even though I ate the food because it was a special tasting event and not a GA menu. Atmosphere is great... the bar seems like it will be super cozy. I enjoyed the various sushi rolls and whatnot that I sampled all night though it wasn't the best I've had by a long shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back