Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
i've been following this thread/subject, but i apologize if i somehow missed something: why are the stairs fenced off right now and when will that be remedied? seems pointless/stupid.

The fence them off at night- 5pm sharp, in fact. I'm sure Millennium wants to avoid liability, but... ugh.

^We'll they they need to do something with the raise curbs? I was looking up at the stairs and tripped ,I'll be the 1st to admit at 6'4 and size 14 feet I'm a big klutz but someone's gonna get hurt!

I actually think it is ok since even NYC closes the High Line each night and literally kicks people out.

5pm is an insult to the American people.

Exhibit A of why these public private spaces are hot garbage.

I do notice the T sign is lit up. Ive never seen a T sign lit up. Are they all supposed to be lit up but nobody ever changes the light bulbs?

The stairs won't close at 5pm in the warmer/lighter months, will they? If so, that's outrageous.

They're not closing the stairs because of ice, they're closing them because they don't want the homeless to have a place to sleep. Not going to change in the summer, certainly, though the closing time may move later with sunset.

Now that it turns out they refuse to either close the roof or open the stairs, I'm a bit less impressed with this tower than I used to be. Add in the SF debacle and I'm a LOT less impressed with the developer.

I'm all for closing the stairs after hours. Would you rather they close them at night, when nobody is using them anyway. Or would you rather go up there during the day with your lunch, only to realize that it reeks of pee...And not dog pee either.

5pm is not after hours

DTX is dead after 5 PM in the winter* & the people that are there are not stopping to sit on decorative stairs in the dark & freezing cold. I have no doubt those stairs will be open until maybe 9 PM at the peak of the summer next year.

Tell me, would you want to sit on those steps earlier this evening at like 5 in the dark, freezing cold, whipping wind?

*Source: I work in DTX.

Sounds like the perfect conditions to smoke a blunt and go unnoticed.

DTX is dead after 5 PM in the winter* & the people that are there are not stopping to sit on decorative stairs in the dark & freezing cold. I have no doubt those stairs will be open until maybe 9 PM at the peak of the summer next year.

Tell me, would you want to sit on those steps earlier this evening at like 5 in the dark, freezing cold, whipping wind?

*Source: I work in DTX.

It's not weather.

Hundreds of thousands of people flock to the bleacher in Times Square every year. I've personally been there the last 8 years on frigid, windy December nights and it is packed and popular.

But your post right THERE is exactly the Boston Attitude that keeps much (not all) of Boston where it is at night. Like a convent dorm.

Times Square doesn't close off its bleacher at night during the cold months and doesn't tell people to "Shoo! Go away!".

It's a "Chicken vs. The Egg" argument. Are there no pedestrians and life in DTX at night because people don't want to go there after dark or is it because of the barriers put up by those in charge who think like the post above? There is no way to find out until we actually can see a period where DTX at night is marketed and un-barriered (I know, not an adjective) like a Times Square.

On the other hand, I simply don't get this bleacher. While it is a spectacular idea, the location and siting is all wrong. The bleacher in Times Square has a spectacular postcard view of Times Square. It has a raison d'etre. This is directly below a residential building where the denizens clearly do not want big noisy crowds outside their luxury apartments and looks squarely into Payless Shoes 30 yards away.

The bleacher concept would work far better on the Greenway amongst all the hotels/fountain/light blades/carousel/food trucks, etc. I hope the poor siting decision of this doesn't kill the concept in Boston for better locations.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back