Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both renders, especially the first one. The base doesn't look like that (real one is darker, shades down & the pavers are grey) & the way light is reflected is indicative of a render.

two types of failure:

1) designing a stage and seating that are not legible / attractive to the users
2) designing an intervention in a complex urban space and trying to mandate who will use it for what purpose and when

two types of failure:

1) designing a stage and seating that are not legible / attractive to the users
2) designing an intervention in a complex urban space and trying to mandate who will use it for what purpose and when

It reminds me of when a university campus designs a grassy quadrangle between academic buildings - you know, the kind with criss-crossing paved paths amidst the trees and lawn. Over time, it usually becomes clear that the paths are not in the optimal trajectories, as you can see brown worn footpaths on the grass on the preferred routes. Those who don't get it put up "stay off the lawn" signs...but those who do get it adjust the trajectories of the paths to meet the real, natural needs of the people.

If there's someone who cares in the loop on this one, maybe we'll see an adjustment? Part of me thinks the bleachers are pointed where they are simply due to the convenience of needing to double as the roof of the head house. This, then, becomes an example of when a developer throws in a convenient "sweetener" option in their proposal to look good before the approval board, yet has really put forth no true design effort. I don't know the back story though; this is just speculation.

It reminds me of when a university campus designs a grassy quadrangle between academic buildings - you know, the kind with criss-crossing paved paths amidst the trees and lawn. Over time, it usually becomes clear that the paths are not in the optimal trajectories, as you can see brown worn footpaths on the grass on the preferred routes. Those who don't get it put up "stay off the lawn" signs...but those who do get it adjust the trajectories of the paths to meet the real, natural needs of the people.

If there's someone who cares in the loop on this one, maybe we'll see an adjustment? Part of me thinks the bleachers are pointed where they are simply due to the convenience of needing to double as the roof of the head house. This, then, becomes an example of when a developer throws in a convenient "sweetener" option in their proposal to look good before the approval board, yet has really put forth no true design effort. I don't know the back story though; this is just speculation.

BigPicture -- you are quite right about what lies beneath -- its the roof of the T entrance

The real question is why the stairs to Nowhere?? -- if not for seating then what? -- Well perhaps an impromptu stage?

It might be a place to do some light entertainment that can be seen by a crowd located on the street and sidewalks -- however in that case they should have made it a couple of platforms connected by stairs -- perhaps that can be done temporarily with risers and construction staging

we will just have to see how it evolves and whether it becomes a DTX if not Boston icon

BigPicture -- you are quite right about what lies beneath -- its the roof of the T entrance

The real question is why the stairs to Nowhere?? -- if not for seating then what? -- Well perhaps an impromptu stage?

It might be a place to do some light entertainment that can be seen by a crowd located on the street and sidewalks -- however in that case they should have made it a couple of platforms connected by stairs -- perhaps that can be done temporarily with risers and construction staging

we will just have to see how it evolves and whether it becomes a DTX if not Boston icon

sigh ... it roof to a head house that does more than just be a roof. Why not. Public places are interesting when there is diversity of space to occupy. Why not have a place to sit and read the Herald while watching the parade go by. Every once and a while maybe it will act as seating for a performance .. but otherwise its just a place to be.

cca

Not that anything here is cheap or affordable but there are a handful of units that actually would seem like a good deal at list price ... 2707, 3107, 3708 to name a few.

Perhaps people aren't as into city views as I am.

Nice catch with the clouds^ today> didn't have the time to wait for the installation

Looks right out of the last page of "Unbuilding". if you don't know it ... check it out.

cca

One could get most of the way through the 2nd year of architecture school by reading Unbuilding, and Underground (and maybe Ching). $9.99 a piece.

cca

One could get most of the way through the 2nd year of architecture school by reading Unbuilding, and Underground (and maybe Ching). $9.99 a piece.

cca

CCA -- hope you have room in your book bag for
The Perfect House: A Journey with Renaissance Master Andrea Palladio
Paperback – September 9, 2003
by Witold Rybczynski

CCA -- hope you have room in your book bag for

Too heavy. Plus you only have to read 1/4 of it to understand the other 3 parts.

cca

2CHimage.jpg

David Macaulay.... Those books were some of my childhood favorites.

They were a revelation. Regarding "Castle," I seem to recall in particular an illustration with a gentleman having assumed the position, poised to defecate down the castle's privy chamber into its cistern system... sorry to perpetuate the derailment and indulge the gratuitous scat chat; I just couldn't help it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back