MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

Looks like those who hated the brown gradation are in luck. Seems to be an overall silver now.

I like the building, I like much more what's looking to happen at the street level as shown in the middle two renders!

^ middle two renders aren't the Main Street side; those are the backside of the building / interior courtyard portion of the Kendal Sq. gateway project. The first and last renders show the street side. But I agree, it's a nice aspect of the project.

^^ as far as the gradation goes, it's tough to tell for sure. The last shot is a nighttime shot that obscures the brownness. My guess is that the gradation goes from silver-ish to brown-ish in attempt to integrate with the historic brick building below.

Looks like those who hated the brown gradation are in luck. Seems to be an overall silver now.

Not really. In the first rendering the brown graduation is clearly shown.

WTF???

CyVu-NzUsAETzC3.jpg

Shift in palette, shift in column width, shift in linear symmetry, random splatter of spandrels = visual chaos.

I'm guessing that 1st photo shows what is now the former design (above). The spaces between the windows have 3 vertical sections (each made of 3 vertical panels) that look to have been replaced by spaces of only one vertical section made of multiple horizontal panels with a random silver gradation.

I'm guessing that 1st photo shows what is now the former design (above). The spaces between the windows have 3 vertical sections (each made of 3 vertical panels) that look to have been replaced by spaces of only one vertical section made of multiple horizontal panels with a random silver gradation.

Ah, interesting catch. My primary source was the MIT Capital Projects site, which was updated recently with the set of photos:
http://capitalprojects.mit.edu/projects/kendall-square-site-4

You can see the site seems to have a mix of renderings...

They were low-res, so I searched for the architects' (NADAA's) renderings, which came up on various pages.
Their page is here:
http://www.nadaaa.com/academic/

This project is featured in the top-right thumbnail, highlighting the horizontal panels...however the link is dead once you click it.

This is more of a goose chase than I have time for, but I am very curious what the final facade is going to look like. Maybe they'll put up a sampler soon.

Anyone familiar with how are they building 'the Beacon' in Cleveland?

are they drilling through, and treating the garage as if it were bedrock?

http://www.nadaaa.com/portfolio/the-beacon/?id=162

seems there's a few garages here that could get done in this way.

i'll have to admit, i like the MIT tower mostly because it looks like yet another deck-of-cards shaped thing, not only helping it appear shorter,

but allowing us to be even more less deprived of huge deck-of-cards shaped towers.

Anyone have an idea for what the timeline is to start demolition of Eastgate Tower?

Just noticed that the old brick American Red Cross Building in Kendall, next to one of the new development sites, is fully gutted out...with a sign on the door saying that they are moving to Medford...

All Red Cross signage has been removed from the building.

Is this related to the Kendall Gateway project?

So many cantilevers will be here at full buildout. Someone really wanted a gravity defying look. Love it but understand how it could make some uneasy.

So many cantilevers will be here at full buildout. Someone really wanted a gravity defying look. Love it but understand how it could make some uneasy.

I nominate “Cantilever” as Ab’s first trigger word! 😉

Also a bit of architectural license. This artist rendering has the Kendall station entrance way farther back form the street than it actually is, which is over-emphasizing that particular cantilever.

Looks to me that BLDUP has posted some renders of the 28-story tower that we'd not yet shared on this site.

31293132126_0ac8726b1e_b.jpg

31329227095_2d8dfde356_b.jpg

31185263032_692dc39f52_b.jpg

31185258462_d44d8e9932_b.jpg

30521832493_7f30fa9651_b.jpg

30521845483_69213886b4_b.jpg

^^If I'm not mistaken, they're doing some serious concrete cutting to lower the first floor of the legacy white building to ground level and extending the windows down to the street.

...below is for context:

31329224305_a8c75e86d0_b.jpg

Last edited:

Back