MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

Mix from today and yesterday -
Landscaping going all around these projects:

Mkg8.jpg

Mkg33.jpg

Mkg6.jpg

Mkg9.jpg

Mkg1.jpg

Looks like that lawn is going to be what the old Green Garage park was, before the new 3CC blocked out the sun.

Regarding questions of when Eastgate is coming down:
The lock-out date for the start of demolition was May 24. WMBR (MIT's student run radio station at 88.1 FM, which used the tall tower on top of Eastgate for its broadcast antenna) moved its equipment out on May 22, and is now transmitting from Site 4.
I don't know when there will be any external evidence of demolition starting, but it should be Real Soon Now.

A signature, perhaps? From afar, it looks like a mistake or vandalism haha.

It's part of a two-piece art installation wherein each signature was developed by "AI" based off a few hundred signatures. To answer your question, it's ironically nobody's name or signature, but "everybody's" signature at the same time. More on it here: https://listart.mit.edu/agnieszka-kurant-end-signature-2020-21

The artist then goes to explain social movements and people (social capital) can play a more significant role than financial capital in the 21st century, which is hard to connect with a simple signature on the ceiling of a building developed as the result of a multi-billion dollar fund that's single-handedly altering the form of Kendall Sq, one of the fastest growing economic hubs of the past decade, and developed in coordination with MIT's main money maker department. To each their own.

It's just a temporary year-long art installation, for now, and it's getting people talking/turning heads, obviously...

I welcome a little bit of flashy art here.

If it's actually temporary then fine, whatever. I agree the execution is bad though.

Not the best looking roof tops on the newer buildings from this angle (not that the building seem to care much).

Back