kb3.png

Kb4.png

Kb5.png

Kb6.png

Kb6a.jpg

Kb7.png

Kb8.png

Last edited:
Looks like we're about to get a course on "How To Take Down a 30 Story Tower Without Explosives".

If I'm not mistaken, this is an historic top-3 demolition in the Boston area (by height) along with Hotel Madison and the Traveller's building. And I think it's probably the tallest in greater Boston ever to be demo'd without explosives.

Last edited:
Am I (not) seeing things, or has the radio tower atop Eastgate been taken down?

Well, if not already, it'll come down sooner or later... DZH's pics from 5 days ago show it still on there..

Am I (not) seeing things, or has the radio tower atop Eastgate been taken down?

Radio tower has been moved to the top of the new graduate dorm at site 4

see here:

Well, if not already, it'll come down sooner or later... DZH's pics from 5 days ago show it still on there..

That's because they transitioned to a physical new antenna; old one being retired

From link above:
MIT generously agreed to cover all costs associated with moving our station, and with the support we’ve gotten from listeners like you in our annual fundraisers, we were able to plan for upgrades too, taking the opportunity to purchase new equipment that will last us for years to come. I worked with the MIT project team to plan our tower and equipment room facilities into the building, so that what we needed was built right in. And last fall, after completing a skyscraper in the middle of the COVID-19 pandemic, the building opened for residents, and I began to build out our new transmitter and antenna setup with the (mostly remote) support of the WMBR tech team.

In June, E55 will start to be disassembled to make way for the new development in the next phase of the Kendall Square Initiative. We are wrapping up our installation in the new Site 4 building and will make a mad dash to take the last of our equipment out of E55 before the building is decommissioned. In the intervening weeks, testing of the new site will cause some disruption in our broadcast, which will affect our stream as well.

^check out that very interesting blog post. They threw the switch from Eastgate to the new Site 4 tower on May 22nd of this year.

Last edited:
I knew the tower was going to come down; I was just curious as to the timing of it w.r.t. the rest of the Eastgate demolition. As stefal said, DZH's pictures from 9/11 show the tower still there, but BeeLine's pictures from earlier today (seem to?) show it gone, though if there's any angle that could hide it, it would be that one.

(Full disclosure: I'm a member of the board of trustees at WMBR, though not involved in day-to-day station operations. Having spent time in the old transmitter room and even on the roof of Eastgate, I find the demolition process interesting, even if a little sad.)

I knew the tower was going to come down; I was just curious as to the timing of it w.r.t. the rest of the Eastgate demolition. As stefal said, DZH's pictures from 9/11 show the tower still there, but BeeLine's pictures from earlier today (seem to?) show it gone, though if there's any angle that could hide it, it would be that one.

(Full disclosure: I'm a member of the board of trustees at WMBR, though not involved in day-to-day station operations. Having spent time in the old transmitter room and even on the roof of Eastgate, I find the demolition process interesting, even if a little sad.)

For sure, there's definitely some sadness. I'm certainly not as connected to the situation as you, but nonetheless. Even just the whole Eastgate demo will leave quite a void in my mental map of the area.

Regarding the old E55 antenna, it's definitely still there (as of the moment). I walked outbound over the Longfellow this evening and it was in front of me. If you want to pay your respects, I'd suggest not waiting too long.

Nothing in particular, just some miscellany.

A 9/11 candle for Danny Lewin.
DSC_0038.jpeg

A chandelier made of bicycle frames in the Proto mail room
DSC_0045.jpeg

The Legal Seafoods fish sculpture
DSC_0052.jpeg

MIT bookstore almost open
DSC_0075.jpeg
DSC_0077.jpeg

A clock with a rotating face
DSC_0085.jpeg
DSC_0083.jpeg

One more of Eastgate, very much like a shroud.
DSC_0128.jpeg

Back