MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

1/6/2022
I've been following this forum topic for a while now so I figured I would share some of my pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_20220106_152718.jpg
    IMG_20220106_152718.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_20220106_152706.jpg
    IMG_20220106_152706.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20220106_144046.jpg
    IMG_20220106_144046.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20220106_144102.jpg
    IMG_20220106_144102.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 112
1/6/2022
I've been following this forum topic for a while now so I figured I would share some of my pictures.
Pro tip, you can use the image feature instead of using the attached files option. Makes it easier to view pics within the post.

Nice pics. Is that power plant still in use? Would love to see that parcel get redeveloped.

Not only is it still in use, but its operator (and clients) want to consolidate even more of the Boston steam generation load at that plant.

Globe article:

associated aB thread discussing steam generation in Boston generally, including impact on this Kendall plant:

^Main gist of above: Vicinity, the plant operator, considering expanding capacity at Kendall Cogeneration Plant to account for potential redevelopment of the Boston (Kneeland St.) parcel. And a possible key driver of "why do we need so much steam" is the massive MGH expansion about to happen right across the river, who is a potential big client who's only growing their demand.

A more constructive path forward might be asking: "how can we make that Kendall plant look less like shit?" In seriousness, if they switch to electric boilers, as is proposed, there's a chance that some of the external infrastructure and large stacks could come down. Community input could help shape an aesthetic aspect to a plant re-fit (if they're going to spend 9-figures on a plant re-fit anyway, they might be open to it in conjunction).

Oh, and to add further insult to injury, the relocation of the natural gas transfer station from 3rd St. (at the site of the new 585 Third Lab/Performance Venue development) is landing here next to the steam plant. In sum, even the most technologically glitzy neighborhoods need an ass end. It's just a shame this one's is not far from its face : )

Last edited:
I mean, it's a cogen steam plant. As power plants go, that's already on the nicer/more modern end. You can certainly tell from the lack of soot on everything that it isn't coal or oil fired. It sounds like they'll still need the smokestacks though, since the gas burning part of the plant would still be needed for peak load? So the building would be [electricity -> steam] most of the time, but if the electric grid was getting hammered it becomes [gas -> electricity + steam]?

I mean, it's a cogen steam plant. As power plants go, that's already on the nicer/more modern end. You can certainly tell from the lack of soot on everything that it isn't coal or oil fired. It sounds like they'll still need the smokestacks though, since the gas burning part of the plant would still be needed for peak load? So the building would be [electricity -> steam] most of the time, but if the electric grid was getting hammered it becomes [gas -> electricity + steam]?

I think that's right, from what I've read. Only question I was raising is could they perhaps remove one of the stacks, downscale the external tank, and/or any other exterior improvement (some large murals!!) based on this new configuration if they're going to be updating the plant anyway. Maybe they can't because they still need a certain gas burning capacity, not sure.

Btw, I hear ya re: "on the nicer/more modern end" of power plants, but everything matters in context. This is prime riverfront property. If this were someplace else, I agree it could be pretty irrelevant to talk about aesthetic improvements.

Back