MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

Commuting by redline this week so taking some pics

IMG_8844.JPG
IMG_8846.JPG

IMG_8826.JPG
IMG_8833.JPG
IMG_8840.JPG

IMG_8817.JPG

So do I. Architect is Nader Tehrani, a real designer’s designer. Used to be head of Harvard and MIT architecture schools. He also did this building in the South End in 2007, another dark jagged one.

View attachment 22818

The MacAllen!!!!!!

The Greening of Southie
(10)
7.41 h 12 min2010ALL
Set in the streets of South Boston, THE GREENING OF SOUTHIE is a feature documentary about Boston's first residential green building, The Macallen Building, from the perspective of the men and women who bring it to life. With its wheatboard cabinetry and recycled steel, bamboo floors and living roof, The Macallen Building is a revolutionary model of environmentally friendly design. But building green has its challenges, and the jobsite has its skeptics. And when things on the building star to go

3/26 From the Madonna Shrine

by David Z, on Flickr

There's a perspective you don't see every day. What an interesting vantage point. And we even get one of the radio/TV towers out on 128 in the shot (not sure of this, but drawing a straight line across a map it looks like it would be the WBZ/CBS tower in Needham).

There's a perspective you don't see every day. What an interesting vantage point. And we even get one of the radio/TV towers out on 128 in the shot (not sure of this, but drawing a straight line across a map it looks like it would be the WBZ/CBS tower in Needham).

I added a wider shot to the Cambridge skylines thread and you can see 3 out of the 4 supertall towers. (would have seen them all if I panned more to the left)

The specific viewing location is from the plaza here:

Last edited:
Interesting, just noticed an application filed with the Historical Commission to install a mural in the alleyway between the NoMa tower & the old American Red Cross building (on the side of the Red Cross building), roughly here:
rc_ms-1.png

(via
google maps)

My first thought was "no way" this is getting approved, that's one of the oldest buildings in the area, then I noticed they are proposing first applying a layer of removable sacrificial coating so that the mural can be easily removed. I suppose I like the thought of adding some vibrancy. Here's the application:

Back