MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

Mostly liking it. Was by there the other day. A bit concerned the first level of the facade looks way darker than the golden hued renders. The sunlight does sometimes seems to make it appear more golden, depending on the angle, but on the cloudy days it just appears much much darker than the renders.

Might contrast well with the other buildings. Just concerned that the size and darkness of the facade might be too much in real life.

...A bit concerned the first level of the facade looks way darker than the golden hued renders. The sunlight does sometimes seems to make it appear more golden, depending on the angle, but on the cloudy days it just appears much much darker than the renders.

Might contrast well with the other buildings. Just concerned that the size and darkness of the facade might be too much in real life.

It looks like the material gets lighter as the tower climbs so you're only seeing the darkest hue at the bottom.

WTF???

CyVu-NzUsAETzC3.jpg

Plus the first 2 floors have black mech screens where windows will be above that.

It looks like the material gets lighter as the tower climbs so you're only seeing the darkest hue at the bottom.

Still ... On the renders it looks darker at lower levels but not as black as it is looking in real life:

wuawxxq0iczn4bgawltm

Maybe it was a change. Still I guess it is really just the first level which now seems to be black between the gold vanes and then the upper levels will have windows where the dark panels are on that first level. Maybe I will like it better when a few more levels go up.

So worse then? Cool

Yeah, it sucks. I don't know why, when we have a completely unaffordable neighborhood where all for-profit institutions are building luxury housing, MIT decides that their contribution will be more of, what is effectively, luxury housing. I asked one of the people on the MIT team about this a while back at one of their information / community input things. He dithered between trying to tell me it wasn't luxury housing, explaining it was the only way to make a profit, and just generally not knowing what he was talking about. Those things were a sham anyway - they were never listening to the community, just trying to make it appear as though theywere.

You mean the facade/architecture... yes, I like the older render. Newer bumpy design is an regrettable change.

More than regrettable, it's a piece of shit, a slabby version of that turd on Mass and Main. If you are gonna say "fuck you" by building another luxury tower at least give us something to look at rather than say "double fuck you" in the form of another value engineered piece of crap designed for no reason other than to extract profit. Is MIT really that hard up for cash?

Yeah, it sucks. I don't know why, when we have a completely unaffordable neighborhood where all for-profit institutions are building luxury housing, MIT decides that their contribution will be more of, what is effectively, luxury housing. I asked one of the people on the MIT team about this a while back at one of their information / community input things. He dithered between trying to tell me it wasn't luxury housing, explaining it was the only way to make a profit, and just generally not knowing what he was talking about. Those things were a sham anyway - they were never listening to the community, just trying to make it appear as though theywere.

Dying to hear what his argument was. "Well it's not luxury it's just market rate which just happens to be 4k/month for a studio! Like aw shucks, if there is profit to be made we gotta do it, ya know, capitalism and all, it's not like MIT as an institution has any agency or power or influence or money or anything resembling the creative capacity for unique and intelligent thought! We're just slaves to the system like the rest of you all!"

Yeah, it sucks...... they were never listening to the community, just trying to make it appear as though theywere.

More than regrettable, it's a piece of shit, a slabby version of that turd on Mass and Main. If you are gonna say "fuck you" by building another luxury tower at least give us something to look at rather than say "double fuck you...."
it's not like MIT as an institution has any agency or power or influence or money or anything resembling the creative capacity for unique and intelligent thought! We're just slaves to the system like the rest of you all!"

BU and MIT are off the charts for flaunting the ugliest epic garbage around. There was a poster who gave a hero's effort to poetically 'hype' MIT's architectural aplomb, and significance to Cambridge/Boston.

*one January day in 2017, Whigh posted his last, and dropped from the face of aB
never to be heard from again. His departure was eerily abrupt.

Back