MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

I believe it's the mechanical screen. Here's a closeup.

Of the 9 or 10 floors that make up the cube, 3 are screen. Isn't that an unusually high ratio? It's kind of a weird look.

Is the top supposed to be grey? If so, why?

I'm stumped as to why MIT would cheap out on this one part of the building when they've gone for high quality everywhere else, and the cost of a semi-transparent/faux glass wall is rather minimal in the grand scheme of Kendall East..

EDIT: didn't see Beeline's pic on the next page, and while it doesn't look like a cheap mechanical screen, from afar, the aesthetics would be much improved with a similar facade as the lower section.

Awesome! The renders left a lot up to interpretation I feel so I cant wait to see what this looks like in real life.

Heres the full set from the site. It was originally all glass, but ended up changing since. The materials/quality and texture of the precast are really going to make or break this tower in real life. More double height windows.. everyones favorite I know. Thankfully the proportions definitely help it not look squat for its height.

Site1_BroadCanalWayView-kayaks.jpg

Site1_NightView.jpg

Site1_market_2017_1205.jpg

Site1_Corner-WalkwaysView.jpg

2017_1205%20Site%201-loading.jpg

Link

Last edited:
Of the 9 or 10 floors that make up the cube, 3 are screen. Isn't that an unusually high ratio? It's kind of a weird look.
It looks like the mechanicsl screen will be on three sides of the building. It looks like the east face will be glass all the way to the top of the building.
IMG_1030 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

north east corner by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

south east corner by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1009 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_1010 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

*adds to ever-growing list of minor design decisions that will infuriate me every time I look at it*

I wonder how much it cost to engineer in that massive cantilever instead of just adding a few more floors with a slightly smaller floorplate.
Not a huge fan of how glassy and devoid the north facade behind the Kendall Building is. Sort of looming as is.

I'm assuming those vertical rods on the windows are going to light up at night to give off the falling rain/candle vibe? There is a building off of the DC Beltway that does just that - - it's quite stunning during the PM.

Never take a render's word for it, especially with respect to lighting, but this is the only render we have of the building in low-light that would indicate if any lighting will be involved on the fins, which would be a really nice touch. I'll leave it up for interpretation by others as to if there's lighting on them or if it is just poorly rendered...
1598659478084.png

I think we'd see some form of hardware or lighting already installed, no?

Yea, looks like no crown lighting, but the overhang seems to be lit from below.

This is the building in McLean, VA that I was referring to in my above post #811: I'm praying that this is what we are talking about here because the colors change and it really is an amazing effect - especially when viewed from an intermediate distance.

1598882501264.png

1598882646220.png

Last edited:

Back