MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

Snapped a few photos inside the lobby of 238 Main, seems like some light construction work's still going on on the bottom floors.

IMG_8471.JPG
IMG_8470.jpg
IMG_8472.JPG

Ok, so it's a little presumptuous for me to post this here. I could have opted for "The New Retail Thread"...

...The tweet linked within the above blog post indicates Flat Top Johnny's is returning to Kendall Sq. and does not give an address. But the photo therein appears to be of the new building at 238 Main ("Site 3")

So this COULD mean that FTJ's is going to be a ground floor tenant in the heart of Kendall, which would be awesome.

Credit to @#bancars for posting this file to another thread, but check out slide 7 within the MITIMCo update about the Volpe site (link here). That slide lists out five "coming soon" retail openings within the new MIT buildings in this development - including Flat Top Johnnie's re-opening within 238 Main St.

A couple of updates on retail activation on the NOMA side of this development:

Construction fencing is back up around one side of the One65 Main tower. Concurrently, there's a note in Cambridge Day about a restaurant called "Mestizo" planning to move into One65 Main, so perhaps this is for that purpose:
mkg-nma-33-1.jpg

https://www.cambridgeday.com/2023/0...w-park-for-kendall-square-and-alewife-zoning/
A restaurant called Mestizo seeks licensing for 165 Main St., Kendall Square, where it will have 4,217 square feet inside and outside at the base of the MIT-owned “One65 Main” luxury apartment building

Meanwhile, Locke Bar, which was previously announced as a tenant next door appears to be pretty much done with their fit-out:
mkg-nma-33-2.jpg

https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/2023/05/locke-bar-restaurant-to-open-in.html

A couple of updates on retail activation on the NOMA side of this development:

Construction fencing is back up around one side of the One65 Main tower. Concurrently, there's a note in Cambridge Day about a restaurant called "Mestizo" planning to move into One65 Main, so perhaps this is for that purpose:
View attachment 38168
https://www.cambridgeday.com/2023/0...w-park-for-kendall-square-and-alewife-zoning/

Meanwhile, Locke Bar, which was previously announced as a tenant next door appears to be pretty much done with their fit-out:
View attachment 38169
https://bostonrestaurants.blogspot.com/2023/05/locke-bar-restaurant-to-open-in.html

Excited to try both of these! And it looks like Mestizo is trying for 1 AM closing time? Kendall could probably use some more late-night spots, but I'm curious as to whether there's enough demand in the Canal District area.

1684805337049.png

Excited to try both of these! And it looks like Mestizo is trying for 1 AM closing time? Kendall could probably use some more late-night spots, but I'm curious as to whether there's enough demand in the Canal District area.

I share the curiosity. But, interestingly, the one next door requested 1am closing Mon-Wed and 2am closing Thurs-Sat on their application to the licensing commission. So there seems to be some attempt to reshape this area. Maybe that will actually be better than one place going at it alone?

Neat story about how the canopy for the newly rebuilt Kendall inbound MBTA head house was fabricated by a boatbuilding firm in Maine:

The Kendall inbound head house is now completely done. They'd been rebuilding/re-bricking the plaza area after demo'ing the temporary head house, but that seems to all be completed and all is now open to the public. Also, looks like the new coffee shop that's about to open at right will have some cafe tables that extend out into the plaza, evidenced by the boxed in area with planters (7/13).

ksib-hh-3.jpg

I’m a little surprised they didn’t install a redundant elevator when they rebuilt the head house.

What is the purpose of the canopy structure? It doesn’t seem to provide protection from the elements given that the T head houses exit outside of the covered area.

Back