MIT Expansion Plans | MIT/Kendall Square | Cambridge

Interesting bus. Very interesting that it goes thru North Point with nothing there... I assume MIT funds it? Wonder why they chose that routing.

It is heavily funded by MIT (MIT ID gets you on for free, the midday service is basically a shuttle between MIT graduate housing and campus), but I think people who work at the biotech companies in University Park also use it.

I've tried to get on a few times in the morning headed to campus from Lechmere and it's been absolutely stuffed, so people do use it.

There are some people who live in North Point already... I think. Anyway you skip out on a pretty significant stop light with that route.

^ Every time I see that bus I wonder how long it will be until it's replaced with a real, proper, Urban Ring. Then I get sad... then the bus tells me to Have a Nice Day, and I feel a little better.

Nice shot of Simmons Hall! Though it has its vocal detractors, I can't help but love it. It's as punk rock as the cover of Never Mind the Bollocks.

Thanks, and I agree. My sensible aesthetic side nags that I shouldn't really care for it, but its logic is so ruthless that I can't help but be assimilated into its world. Resistance is futile.

....the dullardry of most of this campus creates a sort of graveyard-stoic urbanism....

Graveyard-stoic urbanism. I'm remembering that one.

It's too bad MIT builds 5-6 boring boxes for every Simmons Hall.

Yes, yes, I know, not every building can be a landmark. But the dullardry of most of this campus creates a sort of graveyard-stoic urbanism that needs to be remedied somehow.

CZ -- surely you joke - MIT almost never builds mundane boxes -- almost everything is by some fancy architect who wants to prove something

Of course there have been a number of alterations of old industrial properties for new purposes which retained the orginal exteriors with minor modifications

However -- of the new construction:
Some are wild and crazy such as Stata
Some a bit more tame such as McGovern, with its hole for the train
Some are humerous such ass the Weisner with the stange arch and exterior ceramic tile (aka the inside outhouse)

I can't think of any new MIT construction post Vasser St circa 1960's that is just a boring box

Admittedly, it's hard to distinguish MIT-developed buildings from a lot of the Kendall crap that surrounds it, but...what about the Koch Center? What about the whole University Park development?

Admittedly, it's hard to distinguish MIT-developed buildings from a lot of the Kendall crap that surrounds it, but...what about the Koch Center? What about the whole University Park development?

Cz-- University Park is built on MIT owned land -- but the development is not by MIT

MIT owns a lot of the eastern part of Cambridge -- it buys whenever an opportunity presents itself as an investment and a potentia long-term campus development site

In the mean while -- which could be decades -- MIT's version of the BRA leases the sites to developers and has been fairly hands-off as to what gets built -- recently as MIT has built most of the new campus to the back toward Kendall -- the MIT version of the BRA has begun to exercise more "influence" on the architect and style, etc.

PS -- I have a feeling that some of the above will change again as Susan Hockfield announced today her resignation as President of MIT -- though she'll stay-on until the new President is named and takes office -- presumably next Spring

Ashdown House grad housing:

8710476623_8cfeff704b_b.jpg

8710473643_8c96f173e9_b.jpg

8711594846_649dcca194_b.jpg

8710469775_0716efbc98_b.jpg

8710468183_780d54f8d5_b.jpg

Whats with the pedestrian and vehicle gates and the fencing and all that? Looks like shit.

Whats with the pedestrian and vehicle gates and the fencing and all that? Looks like shit.

Keep unwanted people out of that nice courtyard. That's pretty much the way security goes nowadays.

As designers we always try to design such friendly, vibrant open spaces and connections with the street only to have a security fence get put up. Bye bye parti!

Some impressions:

Media Lab is great! Inoffensive yet thoroughly contemporary exterior and the interior is stunning. Essentially it is two cubes that intersect at different floors. Probably one of the best new buildings in the Boston area.

A lot of the other stuff didn't even look new, but MIT's campus is seeming a lot more unified than in the early posts of the thread, however definitely needs some more improvement in West Campus.

Pity the poor designer tasked with making that chain link fence look "cool".

MIT expansion plans - nano

Director of Campus Planning, Engineering & Construction Richard L. Amster, confirmed that Building 12 could be demolished as early as this summer, pending approval by the City of Cambridge. The removal of the building will make way for the Nano-Materials, Structures, and Systems Lab (nMaSS), which is projected to be completed in 2018.

http://tech.mit.edu/V133/N58/building12.html

Announcement about MIT.nano, with video
http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/new-building-will-be-hub-for-nanoscale-research-0429

New building will be a hub for nanoscale research
“MIT.nano,” to be built in the heart of campus, will house advanced cleanroom, imaging, and prototyping facilities.
Watch Video
David L. Chandler | MIT News Office
April 29, 2014

Starting in 2018, researchers from across MIT will be able to take advantage of comprehensive facilities for nanoscale research in a new building to be constructed at the very heart of the Cambridge campus.
The 200,000-square-foot building, called “MIT.nano,” will house state-of-the-art cleanroom, imaging, and prototyping facilities supporting research with nanoscale materials and processes — in fields including energy, health, life sciences, quantum sciences, electronics, and manufacturing. An estimated 2,000 MIT researchers may ultimately make use of the building, says electrical engineering professor Vladimir Bulović, faculty lead on the MIT.nano project and associate dean for innovation in the School of Engineering.
“MIT.nano will sit at the heart of our campus, and it will be central to fulfilling MIT’s mission in research, education, and impact,” says MIT President L. Rafael Reif. “The capabilities it provides and the interdisciplinary community it inspires will keep MIT at the forefront of discovery and innovation, and give us the power to solve urgent global challenges. By following the lead of faculty and student interest, MIT has a long tradition of placing bold bets on strategic future technologies, and we expect MIT.nano to pay off in the same way, for MIT and for the world.”
MIT.nano will house two interconnected floors of cleanroom laboratories containing fabrication spaces and materials growth laboratories, greatly expanding the Institute’s capacity for research involving components that are measured in billionths of a meter — a scale at which cleanliness is paramount, as even a single speck of dust vastly exceeds the nanoscale. The building will also include the “quietest” space on campus — a floor optimized for low vibration and minimal electromagnetic interference, dedicated to advanced imaging technologies — and a floor of teaching laboratory space. Finally, the facility will feature an innovative teaching and research space, known as a Computer-Aided Visualization Environment (CAVE), allowing high-resolution views of nanoscale features.
“The tools of nanotechnology will play a critical part in how many engineering disciplines solve the problems of the 21st century, and MIT.nano will shape the Institute’s role in these advances,” says Ian A. Waitz, dean of the School of Engineering and the Jerome C. Hunsaker Professor of Aeronautics and Astronautics. “This project represents one of the largest commitments to research in MIT’s history. MIT.nano will carry the last two decades of research into new realms of application and discovery.”
“Usually we talk about how science enables new technology, but discovery is a two-way street,” adds Maria Zuber, MIT’s vice president for research and the E.A. Griswold Professor of Geophysics. “In MIT.nano, technology will advance basic science through the extraordinary observations that will be possible in this state-of-the-art facility.”

Very cool. I'm interested to see how nanotech takes off in the area. I've seen a few rankings which have Boston @ #1 in the country in this regard, obviously battling it out with the SF Bay. I hope taking this sort of initiative will allow MIT and the region as a whole to bring this technology to the next level.

Good thing I'm planning to graduate before construction noise would make my building 26 office nigh unbearable...

I don't believe this but my clueless-to-architecture girlfriend just informed me that MIT has made the recommendation to tear down...Bexley Hall?!?!?! I do NOT like this report: http://newsoffice.mit.edu/2013/bexley-hall-recommendation-1017

You all know Bexley Hall...it's THAT building at the corner of Memorial Drive and Mass Ave.

0c19.jpg

I get that the building is old and needs a lot of work but thinking about some lame glass box here makes me mad. I will do what I can to fight this.

Back