Mixed Use Complex | 345 Harrison Ave | South End

A chaotic mess for sure, but I don't love it like you kind of do. To me, it looks like a much more extreme example of franken-building architecture than the Seaport Square buildings. I can picture the decision makers literally picking whatever available materials and colors are left from a bin and applying to these buildings. Jarring. But we'll see.

To quote Mr. Show with Bob and David, this thing is a "blustery hooplah"

One one hand, I wish it'd be simpler, but on the other hand the only part that is simple -- the flat black brick -- is really gross in how cardboard-y it looks, so I don't know. It's not awful, but it's self-consciously trying way too hard.

This is the definition of kitchen sink architecture. The only thing it doesnt have is a spire, or rotating restaurant on the top floor.

From the website, the largest unit is about 1646 sqft asking for $7,789/mo. (before any "special" offers). That's about the mortgage, tax, and insurance pmt on a $1.7M home, assuming the most generic down payment %, term, and rate. Whew. At that point, you might as well buy a place, unless you know you are transient.

I really just do not understand who the target market is for these type of apartments... You can buy a heck of a house or unit for over a million. Hell even if you're transient why not just buy and then sell it two years down the road or whatever.

Theres gonna be plenty of great shots now that Apple and google both updated the skyline to its recent iteration. I was wondering when they were going to on apple the skyline was like 5 years old and basically a waste of time to look at. Now its amazing. Hopefully its not a once every 5 years thing, because once 1 Dalton is finished Im gonna want to be able to see that too. Were building so fast that if they dont update it at least once a year it becomes dated fast. Until like a year ago apple was still showing only 1mpd on fan pier that was annoying.

Damn! Great pics! Love just about everything bout this building!

A good amenity for the neighborhood, but the whole thing suffers from the flatness of the facades. Balconies and bay windows can't hide the flimsy look of most of the wall panels.

A little bit awkward ...no? I mean ... maybe awkward is a cute way? I cant tell. Love it if you love it. I will be a day to day choice for me.

cca

For me, it depends on the side. I dont like the Washington St side barely at all. I like the Harrison st side quite a bit.The Traveler st. side is alright, and I like the opposite side a lot

For me, it depends on the side. I dont like the Washington St side barely at all. I like the Harrison st side quite a bit.The Traveler st. side is alright, and I like the opposite side a lot

Exactly why I love this building, around every corner there's something different and interesting. The colors, angles, textures, overhangs, underpasses, if there's something you don't quite like, walk a bit, take a corner, enter a courtyard. The gray brick isn't my favorite but right around the corner is a different flash of color. Never boring, always changing depending on your position relative to the building. I wouldn't want this type of style everywhere but it sure does add lots of interest to an area.

All I can see is 1/2 McAllen building and 1/2 1 Canal

It's a bit "cubey," and screams BOSTON.

Not saying it should have gone to the ~320' FAA and 28 stories stuffed on....

Change nothing but the height of 2 or 3 of the buildings, and i'd be much more excited about the New York Streets. Another case of zoning political correctness run amok, when we should have given the developers much more freedom to deliver a far more desirable variance of height.

By doing so, you grant greater freedom to people who can bleeping walk live closer to Downtown. A little here a little there, endless under-building, and the cracks start to show, why we can't achieve economic stability, build enough affordable units... and why the Boston metro is still setting up to become more dysfunctional and possibly, eventually, be left in the dust...

i wouldn't post it if i didn't think it. And if i'm honest, i do think it. It's already beginning to show itself; We can't make even minimal improvements to the MBTA in reasonable time frames, can't do the NSRL, or dig a Blue Line tube under Back Bay toward BU & West Station.... There are good reasons why we can't do badass shit like this. It's because we still haven't gotten over the trauma of the Big Dig by taking rational and bold steps to end under-building.

Elon Musk to build 125 m.p.h. underground transit line in Chicago

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ine-chicago/Ub7RfDC024QqEfKx5WmwSJ/story.html

Don't believe the hype.

First of all, all that's happened is that Boring has been given the opportunity to negotiate further with the city, for 12 months.

http://www.businessinsider.com/elon...ate-with-chicago-for-loop-train-system-2018-6

Second, they're proposing a fleet of surplus Tesla Model X SUVs in a conventional bored tunnel. Like the silver line BRT but with SUVs instead of buses. Can't say I'm envious of Chicago for that 'innovation'...

He gets credit for his electric cars and sending shit into space, but on the mass transit front he seems like a complete clown.

Anyone else getting vibes of Tufts Medical Center / Floating Hospital from the recent photos or is it just me? For whatever reason, that’s what I perceive even though I know they look plenty different. If someone were to tell me that this is a hospital vs. apartment superblock, I’d believe it.

Back