Mixed Use Complex | 345 Harrison Ave | South End

The cut through the building is a great way to reduce the feeling of megablock-ness.

The cut through the building is a great way to reduce the feeling of megablock-ness.

It also aligns with a through street in the Ink Block. The effect is great from Albany Street (between the Sienna and the new AC Hotel). Sorry, no pic.

I really like this project - it looks well executed. It is nothing revolutionary or bold, but does the job and doesn't look cheap.

My one issue is that it seems like there are a lot of different colors and patterns all over this building. Sorry, I don't know the lingo.

It is probably to break up what would be a Borg-like monolith it all one style, but I find it a bit overwhelming and a lot to take in at once - sort of like the Via in the Seaport or
holidays with my in-laws.

Who would have thought 10 years ago that the site of the Herald Traveler, beginning with Ink Block, would transform itself into a brand spanking new neighborhood with literally thousands of new housing units (including those UC or proposed), as well as a hotel, a supermarket, a CVS, retail and numerous restaurants. Also amazing is the speed of it all, how this area was on some sort of permitting and construction fast track while other city developments seem to get bogged down in neighborhood and permitting drama. In any case, it's a beautiful transformation over a relatively short period of time.

Even better, there are still thousands of units worth of surface parking and industrial lots ready to be redeveloped, and additional projects at all stages of the pipeline. Who knows, once they all get built maybe we'll get real transit to Dudley and decking over the Pike.

Who would have thought 10 years ago that the site of the Herald Traveler, beginning with Ink Block, would transform itself into a brand spanking new neighborhood with literally thousands of new housing units (including those UC or proposed), as well as a hotel, a supermarket, a CVS, retail and numerous restaurants. Also amazing is the speed of it all, how this area was on some sort of permitting and construction fast track while other city developments seem to get bogged down in neighborhood and permitting drama. In any case, it's a beautiful transformation over a relatively short period of time.

You are seeing the result of serious, well negotiated master planning (Harrison Albany Corridor Plan), which allows decent density, and then holds developers (and abutters) to the letter of the zoning allowed. As opposed to the let's make a deal attitude so common in Boston.

Everything being built or proposed here is "as of rights" per zoning -- no variances (extremely rare in Boston).

So we have this, that glass tower going up next to the pike, then the shared living tower going up on the other side against the pike. What else do we have going up after these? I hope it keeps expanding out further n further.

So we have this, that glass tower going up next to the pike, then the shared living tower going up on the other side against the pike. What else do we have going up after these? I hope it keeps expanding out further n further.

380 Harrison (U/C with BeeLine taking per-usual excellent photos)
112 Shawmut project (3 buildings approved by PDA, first breaking ground this year)
321 Harrison office building (supposedly breaking ground this year)
Co-Living building at Ink Block (breaking ground next year)

So in the NY Streets area alone (not counting rest of South End) 661 units U/C or breaking ground soon.

The value the New York Streets + Harrison/Albany corridor will be adding to Boston in the next 5 years is unsung.

What happened to 80 Berkeley? I think I remember it getting approved a few years ago and then nothing.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...nd-building/0TJ1zFnTW3VQuReaQk5GKJ/story.html

south-end__1377232253_3835.gif

Yea 217 Albany is the address of the co living building I just had to look and found out. So 217 Albany, 321 harrison, and 380 harrison were the 3 that I was talking about so beyond those we have 112 shawmut and then is there anything else after that?

Edit: Just looked how could I forget that we have that monstrous Harrison Albany block development with 4 buildings and 974 apartments. That development is an entire street.... so yea a shit ton coming.

These are all pretty high quality and bring a ton of housing to Boston. This area is really coming along. From Shawmut to Albany it will be nice having the south end built up right up to the pike gash.[/QUOT]

Don't forget Wareham Street

The-Factory-at-46-Wareham

What happened to 80 Berkeley? I think I remember it getting approved a few years ago and then nothing.

Yea thats right, Im not sure either but I would bet its still coming at some point. That will be nice itll pull the new development west and add another building between shawmut and washington.

I really need to see this in person. I want to like this but I have a hard time visualizing this just from pictures.

i think it's fine. Just wish..... you know.

Beeline; Thank you very much for these great shots.

Back