Moderna Science Center | 325 Binney Street | Kendall Square

Tower crane going up today:

AxL1.jpg

AxL2.jpg

This does seem like an awful waste of space for what amounts to only 4-6 stories worth of lab. Think about how many residents they could fit on a plot like this! I would have said take half the plot for a 10 story lab, and the other half for a 40 story condo tower. Is land really still so cheap in Kendall that these massive landscrapers still make sense here? I thought this was among the most in-demand neighborhoods in the country?

This does seem like an awful waste of space for what amounts to only 4-6 stories worth of lab. Think about how many residents they could fit on a plot like this! I would have said take half the plot for a 10 story lab, and the other half for a 40 story condo tower. Is land really still so cheap in Kendall that these massive landscrapers still make sense here? I thought this was among the most in-demand neighborhoods in the country?

Recent planning board actions have made clear that the future is mixed-use (with residential) in the Kendall area. Not sure why this one got through as-is, but I suspect that leniency occurred here because it was a former industrial site. The 51 Main St. (Broad Canal) proposal got kicked back with the request to add a residential component to balance the office/lab square footage.

^ @BeeLine , kudos, that last shot finally captured it

I was about to say the same thing when I saw that - - - I made a comment a few weeks back on how Bee , and others, were doing all humanly possible to capture the immense size of this thing but that it was probably impossible to do it merely on a pic - - - and then he took that as a challenge and proved me wrong. Tip o' the hat - Impressive!

The nature of emerging biotechnologies dictates landscrapers. Ginkgo Bioworks on Black Falcon Pier is a good example. Ginkgo is running production lines comprised of dozens or hundreds of individual bioreactors to produce a bioproduct that is sold to major companies who then use the Ginkgo bioproduct for scaled-up production. Ginkgo might produce 300 liters of bioproduct that is subsequently used by a manufacturer to produce 50,000 liters of bioproduct. And the potential is for there to be tens of thousands of bioproduct lines, perhaps hundreds of thousands.

See, for example:
https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/729956

So is this where they'll be manufacturing vaccine cards? :LOL:

Back