Moderna Science Center | 325 Binney Street | Kendall Square

Nice street wall

kendall (20).JPG

It looks like they're fusing The Kensington onto a lab. I hate that sea green color on buildings. It was looking really good up until this point.

I think Moderna will need another building, or two, or maybe three.

An experimental cancer treatment developed by Moderna and its pharma partner Merck significantly reduced death and cancer progression in people with high-risk skin cancer, the companies announced Tuesday.

Moderna used the same technology behind its messenger RNA vaccines for COVID-19 to develop personalized cancer vaccines that train a patient’s immune system to spot unique genetic mutations in their tumors and destroy any cancer cells matching that molecular mugshot.

“We make a new personalized vaccine for every individual in the study,”
[Emphasis mine.]
In an intermediate stage study of 157 people with skin cancer, Moderna’s cancer vaccine reduced the relative risk of cancer recurrence or death by 44 percent when paired with Merck’s cancer immunotherapy Keytruda, compared with people who got Keytruda alone. The patients were followed for an average of two years.

The American Cancer Society's estimates for melanoma in the United States for 2022 are: About 99,780 new melanomas will be diagnosed (about 57,180 in men and 42,600 in women). About 7,650 people are expected to die of melanoma (about 5,080 men and 2,570 women)

When one starts developing personalized vaccines for a cancer, and vaccination becomes the standard of care, the future need for lab space and personnel could become exponential. The melanoma vaccines were produced in Norwood.

Mods, I put this here rather than in a new labs / offices thread. Move if you want.

I think this building would have been a handsome addition on the white and English tan elements, alone. The glass "geode" wasn't necessary and disrupts the elegant simplicity of the main grid and its ability to play with light.

I agree with your assessment if one were to assess the present state of the facade, but I am pretty sure that the final state will look much different when they install the sunshading elements. It certainly seems those are still part of the plan, given all of the protruding metal tabs all over the glass curtainwall in the above photos.

325b_fcd-1.jpg

Those, plus the underside of the overhangs, will tie everything back to the tan color
(image: 10/9/20 "application graphics" within: https://www.cambridgema.gov/specialpermits/pb367)

I agree with your assessment if one were to assess the present state of the facade, but I am pretty sure that the final state will look much different when they install the sunshading elements. It certainly seems those are still part of the plan, given all of the protruding metal tabs all over the glass curtainwall in the above photos.

View attachment 35821

Those, plus the underside of the overhangs, will tie everything back to the tan color
(image: 10/9/20 "application graphics" within: https://www.cambridgema.gov/specialpermits/pb367)

Yup this is correct, the mockups show that this is still happening.
236971591_681154366611401_7826297745908304404_n.jpg

Binney+Mockup+2.jpg

Careful taking pictures here! Jim from Alexandria Real Estate Security approached me asking what I was taking pictures of. I thought about asking him if he owned the sidewalks from which I was taking pics…but I kept cool and told him all about our vibrant archboston community. ;)

IMG_0085.jpeg
IMG_0090.jpeg
IMG_0093.jpeg

Back