MXD II (Google Kendall) | 325 Main St. | Kendall Square | Cambridge

From a distance, all these buildings (seaport, too), with all the same cube-like dimension, all wedged together, look like a bunch of businessmen packing into a Tokyo subway at rush hour.

DSC_0016.jpeg
DSC_0033.jpeg

This glass looks amazing. It almost has a green tint to it which you dont really see that much.

I dont hate it. I feel like Kendal is shifting into an evil space invasion aesthetic with those new MIT buildings. And as a glass box at least its an evil space invasion glass box that matches the theme.

Thanks for the photos, Beeline. Regarding the headhouse in the last two pictures: I know there are other new ones being built, but this one looks very underwhelming/disappointing, the yellow lights on the drab gray concrete slabs, etc., feels more like a parking garage entrance. Apologies in advance for my vague sense of geography here, but will this headhouse be one of the lesser used (compared to the others being built)?

Thanks for the photos, Beeline. Regarding the headhouse in the last two pictures: I know there are other new ones being built, but this one looks very underwhelming/disappointing, the yellow lights on the drab gray concrete slabs, etc., feels more like a parking garage entrance. Apologies in advance for my vague sense of geography here, but will this headhouse be one of the lesser used (compared to the others being built)?

Hey rjacobs, that's just a temporary headhouse that will be in place while they demo the old one and build the new one.

End-state design is shown here:

^Speaking of the Kendall T headhouses, I just came across this old gem courtesy of WBUR. This early 1980s photo shows 'Cambridge Center' being constructed. The PoMo red line headhouses that are now being demolished were about to arrive in the timeframe of this photo. The area with all of the trucks and trailers near the middle of the photo is right where this 325 Main St. building is being built today.

Construction_CambridgeCenter_Image29-1000x784.jpg

From: https://www.wbur.org/radioboston/2018/06/05/kendall-square-biotech

So the these headhouses had a life of about 38 years by my rough estimation. Crazy how the Kendall station was opened up to daylight with the trains ostensibly running below. This timeframe must have been when the present station platform design came into being, with the pink-ish floor tiles and all the MIT-related photo tiles adorning the station walls below.

The T generally considers stations to have a 35 year lifespan, so it’s not too surprising that they’re being renewed.

I remember taking the Red Line infrequently as a kid, but watching out for the open sunroof at Kendall during the expansion.

Back