New "Anti-Shadow" Laws Proposed for Boston

I just think it is a vocal minority. If/when the bill comes to vote you can expect heavy lobbying from the unions across the state. One of the unions I emailed asked me if i was leading the charge and if i hired a lobbyist yet, so that has to be good news.

At this point though, it almost seems like getting the word out about this bill would only lend support to the other side.

Maybe we should get an endorsement from an environmental group such as the Sierra club boston chapter? At least a quote of opposition to the bill that could go on the fliers.

http://www.sierraclubmass.org/groups/gbg/gbg.html

I stopped thinking that anything could change around here a long time ago.

I cannot believe this city is filled with such people who want it to stay the way it is. I'm looking into where to do my residency, and I must say, Boston might not be the top of my list anymore. Great hospitals here, but I just am not "in love" with the city any more.

Well, I guess in the end it comes down to the hospital, not the location, but I'm angry at you, Boston.

If this passes, i hope some developer proposes a 700ft tower and puts spotlights at the top to prevent shadows.

The shadow of your smile
When you have gone
Will color all my dreams
And light the dawn

I was wondering if there is a way I can upload a pdf file onto the forum. Made a flier and was wondering if anyone wants to see how it looks and give some constructive criticism.

tWinkalTwinkal
littl SHADOE
u IS UGLEY
timetoGO
Marti und Shirly
got ur Measure
CRUSHGREEDY UNIONS'
Commie pleasur

Last edited:
I was wondering if there is a way I can upload a pdf file onto the forum. Made a flier and was wondering if anyone wants to see how it looks and give some constructive criticism.

Can you save it as an image file, then just upload to a file sharing site?

Another thing i was thinking was that this is a statewide bill. The only concerned constituents that support this bill are most likely from the immediate Boston area. I doubt anyone past newton really cares. The Union's reach is statewide. They can have their members from across the state writing against this bill.

I'm really not worried about this passing, even if it passes the house, it still has to pass the senate and then signed by Deval. That doesn't me we should sit back and stop doing nothing.

It's the winter time that makes all the difference in such a narrow minded proposal. Would anyone notice a long shadow at 4:00PM that lasts for a few minutes in December?

I spoke with rep michlewicz about this yesterday...I told him my thoughts on the bill and he told me not to worry, as despite the fact that he supports the initiative he doesn't think it will ever see the light of day...take that for what it's worth

Last edited:
The Union's reach is statewide.
The construction unions don't have a ton of say outside of 495. Of course, there aren't alot of big buildings outside of 495 anyway . . .

This bill is truly just smoke & mirrors. For the developers that actually pay off the politicians will get anything they want built in the city of Boston for the developers that don't pay off the politicians they announce this bill on your back. ANTI Shadow law.

Do you believe these people waste our time and energy to talk about stupidity. The city of Boston needs some job growth and expansion instead we get old school stagnation.

Times will never change in this city only when forced upon.

This letter was forwarded to me. It raises some good points that I hadn't yet considered. The "Back Bay Association" is a business organization so it's points of view doesn't matter to some as its opinions are considered 'biased', but I believe many of the members are also residents of the Back Bay.

December 16, 2009

Senator Anthony Petrucelli
Joint Committee on the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture
Room 413B
The State House
Boston, MA 02133
RE: Bill no. 853

Dear Senator Petrucelli,

I am writing on behalf of the Back Bay Association, an organization of more than 400 members. The mission of the organization is to improve, promote and protect business in the Back Bay.

I was in attendance at yesterday?s hearing, but had to leave before having the opportunity to comment. I was surprised that there has not been an analysis conducted about the impacts of this proposed bill, which seems very far-reaching. Its implications must be fully explored.

Writing on behalf of the Back Bay business community, we encourage the Commonwealth to fully explore the impacts of this Act. The following data must be studied and explored:

? Scoping/mapping study. The Commonwealth must fully understand the exact locations of every property that would be impacted by this legislation. Property owners must be notified, especially those with development/zoning rights that would be impacted by this change.

? Planning. The state must study the impact of this act on future opportunities for employment and housing. Since Back Bay and the South End are historically protected, minimal development will occur in those locations. This legislation would limit the last Back Bay area where development could be possible, and possibly could limit the City?s ability to accommodate future populations. How would future growth be accommodated, and where?

? The MBTA Orange and Green lines provide service to the Back Bay, and the Commuter Rail and Amtrak are here. As we learn more about the environment and green building, it has been proven that density should be built near transportation infrastructure, to protect the environment. The impact of this legislation on mass transit must be fully understood.

? The Commonwealth should fully explore the tax implications of this act. This would limit taxable square footage for Boston, and limit the number of employees that could work in Back Bay.

? This should be explored. For example, recently there was a public process for a building proposed at the Prudential Center. Any floors more than eleven stories added shadow to the Commonwealth Avenue Mall on December 21st at the corner of Commonwealth and Fairfield for about one half hour in the morning. This legislation would have prevented the development of an additional six stories, which was approved. Six stories will add a total of $1 Million dollars in property taxes per year and jobs for 600 individuals. This type of impact must be understood and the pros and cons for the entire state balanced.

? This act could potentially limit development plans that are currently in review or planned, including the Berklee Master Plan, Copley Place, Stuart Street planning efforts, and Air Rights parcels, just to name a few. Have projects that are being proposed been reviewed by the Committee to understand the application of this bill on development plans?

? What are the Commonwealth?s future plans for Air Rights development? The State must explore the financial implications of this bill on state air rights holdings.

? There has been extensive public process regarding development in Back Bay and the Fenway. While there is currently not a zero tolerance for shadow in the areas covered by this act, shadow impacts are fully reviewed and studied. We do not believe any development in the past ten years that has been approved by the Boston Redevelopment Authority causes (or will cause) excessive shadow on any of the parks mentioned in the bill.

As we aim to strike a balance, the impacts of reduced jobs, taxes and housing must be balanced with the concern of too much shadow, and in the case of this bill, no shadow. The business community is in total support of the parks outlined in this legislation and believe they should be protected.

We believe this legislation needs more information before we can support, or oppose it.
Sincerely,

Meg Mainzer-Cohen
President
Back Bay Association

You all watched 'American Idol' tonight, right? So, the preliminary auditions took place at Foxboro in August then the final auditions took place in Boston in October in front of the regular cast of judges. They apparently taped the final auditions in the old Bay Tower Room, based on the views out the windows behind them (and based on where the contestants came out from - the Sheraton World Headquarters building at the corners of Congress and State streets).

You could see the Custom House and the Harbor Towers and the Boston Harbor, in the distance.

Of course, all three buildings, including the twin Harbor Towers and the historic, landmark Custom House, would be illegal to build under the legislation proposed by Reps. Walz and Rushing.

While walking through the Boston Common yesterday, I noticed that all of the big old trees were casting shadows!!!!!! In fact, the grass near these trees was quite sparse. We need to cut down all these trees, clear cut them, so that those dreaded shadows don't damage the Common any longer.

This a VERRY ORIGINAL BUT BAD idea you are having. This trees give up the OXYCOGEN with bad air getting eatin. And so. If you PLANT the trees it eat up NASTY gas from MAss Pike Extenion. AND. This are the good shodows. And some of thes are HISTORY TREES like Deutsche elm and tree you can name MALL after. And trees where PATRIOTS lynched people too. (You are not THE Tom Brady of Boston I can tell here.)

This a VERRY ORIGINAL BUT BAD idea you are having. This trees give up the OXYCOGEN with bad air getting eatin. And so. If you PLANT the trees it eat up NASTY gas from MAss Pike Extenion. AND. This are the good shodows. And some of thes are HISTORY TREES like Deutsche elm and tree you can name MALL after. And trees where PATRIOTS lynched people too. (You are not THE Tom Brady of Boston I can tell here.)

High-rises put people and business inside the city limit, allowing people to work closer to home and lowering their dependency on cars to get to their jobs. This cut pollution not only from the Mass Pike, but the entire city. These are GOOD shadows too!

Back