New "Anti-Shadow" Laws Proposed for Boston

Oh, you can always use a fake email address, of course. Just try to use something so I can see who is actually responding. If not your real email address, something like "xxx@archboston.org" with your screen name?

Show your lack of support for this bill!

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NB5DVVS

Who created this and is there a more appropriate one? Are you f*cking me is not really the name you want for a petition and people will take it less seriously. I was thinking about posting this on facebook so my friends can sign but not with a title like that.

Also can it include the details of the law instead of a rant?

It takes five minutes to put together a survey. If you feel the need, you can certainly create your own.

I agree that the survey is immature and inappropriate if serious results are wanted.

I had the same thought when I clicked through to the survery page. This is a serious matter and the language used discredits the signers.

relax people. this has no chance of passing. Last time around I emailed like 4-5 unions and they have it under their control (lobby).

We shouldn't just rely on the Union Factions to fight this against the bill and the faction that supports it. We should be our own faction outright adding to the fight against it. How else can we ever hope to see change if all we do is wait for news and react to things instead of interacting with it along with the other players (as small we maybe, but we cannot think like that).

We shouldn't just rely on the Union Factions to fight this against the bill and the faction that supports it. We should be our own faction outright adding to the fight against it. How else can we ever hope to see change if all we do is wait for news and react to things instead of interacting with it along with the other players (as small we maybe, but we cannot think like that).

I agree, but there has been talk like that almost since this boards creation, and nothing has ever materialized.

The fact is that the average citizen probably couldn't care less for this bill, and union members outrank supporters of this bill 10-1.

I agree that right now, the unions hold sway (in Boston, Massachusetts). But what happens when they don't, anymore? The average citizen should care about this bill. The ripple effect of essentially ending construction in Boston will be huge. Civic engagement is important, in my case involving a few letters written to officials.

I guess all building should be negative vertical. By that I mean underground. Let's have massive underground cities where there is no sun and no need to argue over shadows...it will be like the wasteland of San Angeles in Demolition Man, and those who are bothered by this above ground urban lifestyle can become scraps.

And, yet, you all just sit there and do nothing. I'm surprised you have enough energy to lift your fingers to type.

Alright, alright, I updated it from 'Are you fucking kidding me".

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NB5DVVS

Done.

Here's the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/the...ill-h01169-anti-shadow-law-over-certain-parks

Please let me know if you are having trouble signing the petition. I don't really know how it works outside of being the creator.

Let me know if you want me to make some changes on the petition. Please send this to your friends and family. Use facebook, twitter, etc to get the message across. I will do so as soon as I come back home from work.

Also, what do I do with the petition after it reaches a decent amount?

It urges me to use an actual address. Is it necessary for it to be my real, honest address?

What does it ask? As the creator, I cannot see the requirements for signing the petition. However, I did use my real address to create the petition. I personally believe that it is fine as long as you are honest about which city you live in and not your address.

Edit: You probably need to use IE for the petition to look right. Now I can see requirements for submission. Also, an e-mail was sent directly the Reps.

Last edited:
Does anyone know any unions that would be interested in signing this petition? If it would be great if an email is provided so I can email them.

Just so folks have a perspective on what it's like out in the neighborhoods, I was at a community meeting on Monday night that turned into a shouting match over the proposed construction of a four-story, eight unit apartment building on a vacant lot in an area that is currently zoned for industrial use. The height, FAR, and shadows were all mentioned.

Now I want to start a petition asking the BRA to set a standard for how much new shadow should be allowed to be cast over parks and barring the use of the shadow excuse for buildings under a certain height/story limit.

Back