New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Somerville Soccer Stadium

Yeah, I completely agree with pixels. You can't just sacrifice all of that space solely for a stadium with nothing around it. The whole point of an urban stadium is to surround it with urban context, not wide open grassy fields with diagonal paths cut through them that actually render all the space useless. If you remove the paths, at least you can have some community soccer fields or something.

A direct competitor to the Garden for music bookings that wouldn't be feeding into Jacobs' sweet sweet Delaware North concessions empire?

I don't see an indoor arena and an outdoor stadium as competitors, any more than Harborlights is competition for the Garden. Different experiences entirely.

I don't see an indoor arena and an outdoor stadium as competitors, any more than Harborlights is competition for the Garden. Different experiences entirely.

I'd consider equal capacities (or at least more similar than your comparo) to be competition even with the different experience part (which I agree with). But, Harborlights (BoA Pavilion, Blue Hill Bank Pavilion) and the Garden are not similar in capacity. 15-20k at the Garden depending on arrangement vs. 5k at the Pavilion.

A 20-25k seat soccer stadium, with concessions (which are severely lacking at the pavilion) is very comparable to the garden and their concession potential. Difference is sky vs. ceiling. The only place where I consider TD and BHBP to be comparable is both are more of a "night out" that probably involves dinner, where the soccer stadium concert gives more of a summery festival feel.

A soccer stadium in Boston for the Revs would have to be very close both the city and a major subway line. The NY Red Bulls are close to a PATH station, but Harrison, NJ is almost a 30 minute drive from Manhattan, let alone from outer boroughs, Long Island and Westchester. It is very much out of sight and out of mind.
The New York City FC expansion team is backed by both the New York Yankees and Manchester City FC, two organizations that definitely have their act together. I think they can pull it off successfully.
On the other hand, the Kraft's showed vision by investing in an original MLS team, but don't really seem to invest much or take big swings with getting star players or coaches.
I feel if they really wanted to get a stadium in the city, they would have pulled it off by now.

A soccer stadium in Boston for the Revs would have to be very close both the city and a major subway line. The NY Red Bulls are close to a PATH station, but Harrison, NJ is almost a 30 minute drive from Manhattan, let alone from outer boroughs, Long Island and Westchester. It is very much out of sight and out of mind.
The New York City FC expansion team is backed by both the New York Yankees and Manchester City FC, two organizations that definitely have their act together. I think they can pull it off successfully.
On the other hand, the Kraft's showed vision by investing in an original MLS team, but don't really seem to invest much or take big swings with getting star players or coaches.
I feel if they really wanted to get a stadium in the city, they would have pulled it off by now.

We had Taylor Twellman!!

We had Taylor Twellman!!

They also had Clint Dempsey, one of the very few Americans (you can count on a few fingers) that actually validated their career by going to Europe and having some success.

http://www.boston.com/business/news/2014/06/13/jonathan-kraft-discusses-revolution-stadium-prospects/K4UsaMJ2CT7ofS9gFZHNfI/story.html

Interestingly, Kraft didn’t talk about Boston’s urban neighbors, Somerville and Revere. Instead,*he spoke about Boston itself."We're working hard at doing it, but there aren't tracks of land just sitting there. We're a developed, older, more mature city and it's harder to make these things happen," Kraft said. "That being said, we are working hard on it. Unfortunately, I don't think this was something Mayor Menino saw the value in, and it didn't get a lot of attention."I think Mayor Walsh believes in the sport and understands the impact it could have on the city beyond just the sport but what you can do with the use of the city and cultural events. Hopefully we'll see if become a reality in the near future.

Tracks of land?

Athens of America indeed...

I hope I don't derail this thread too much, but why don't the Revolution move to Harvard Stadium? It's smaller, very intimate, in the city and unused 90% of the time. It would give the team a certain old world "Boston" feel by playing in this very old stadium.

Public Transit might be a small issue, but at least no one will have to shell out for a new stadium.

Last edited:

probably not up to mls standards and I for one hate the seats there

Harvard Stadium probably has a bunch of scheduling issues as well.

This could explain an offhand remark from Mike Ross's Globe column about Boston 2024 lately:

"This we could use. To thrive well after the Olympic Games have left, we require a massive expansion of housing, transit, and general infrastructure. A new soccer stadium on the waterfront wouldn’t hurt either. But unless we invite our friends over, we’re likely to remain on our couches and put it off for another day, watching another city bask in Olympic gold instead."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/...vation-need/vbUUpvu6qdHtVz6H0zcGWL/story.html

Tough to tell if he wrote that because he was privy to team discussions with the city or if he is just spitballing. But aside from Beacon Park I can't think of where a stadium within Boston proper, as Kraft seems to prefer in that interview, would fit.

Any ideas for how this could be situated within the Seaport district? Frankly a stadium here seems like a pretty poor idea to me considering the inadequacies of the Silver Line, but I suppose it could work if it were situated close enough to South Station.

A stadium in the seaport, unless somewhere by harpoon, would he a huge waste of space.

It's tracT of land guys. Tracks are for choo choos, man hunters and tanks.

The field turf at Harvard stadium was not designed for soccer.

A stadium in the seaport, unless somewhere by harpoon, would he a huge waste of space.

Tear down the Pavilion and put it there. The Pavilion is woefully undersized as far as outdoor venues go in any case.

Having said that, building any stadium at all right now is a very bad idea - soccer has only just started to gain the legitimacy it needed to take off in this country - and, because it has become a legitimate sport in other cities, those teams who built "right-sized" MLS stadia are beginning to see them fill up. Meanwhile, perhaps the most legitimate of the MLS franchises - the Seattle Sounders - still plays in a football stadium, but the Sounders are actually capable of selling it out. No, not selling out the sections that are "open" - selling out the entire stadium.

The Sounders will never build a "right-sized" MLS stadium, because they've already shot way past the capacity of a "right-sized" MLS stadium. If and when they get around to building a dedicated stadium, it'll be with the capacity of an NFL or MLB facility. Similarly, as teams who already built "right-sized" stadiums start to see their own popularity soar and their buildings sell out, they're going to come right back to their hosts with hands outstretched. Upgrades are needed, they'll say. We have to add more seating, they'll say. And if they built their pitch in the suburbs, they might start talking about mothballing the stadium entirely for a move downtown.

So, really, there's absolutely no way for Boston to win in this scenario. Either it overbuilds now and establishes an MLS facility that will take 10 or 15 years to yield a worthwhile return on investment even if you assume that the stadium will be used more than 17~21 days per year as a venue for concerts and such, or it "right-sizes" the stadium and we're right back here in 2029 arguing over the merits of pouring a substantial amount of money into renovations, or it turns out that soccer hasn't taken off in Boston because of reasons that aren't fixed by moving the team downtown, and then building the soccer pitch turns out to be a waste no matter what size it is.

And, frankly, there are cities in New England that have far more need of outdoor venue space than Boston. Cities like Providence or Worcester would be able to use a stadium regularly and to a meaningful percentage of its capacity, soccer be damned. If we're going to seriously build a stadium for the "New England" Revolution, building it literally anywhere else in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, or southern NH is a safer bet than Boston, and I promise you that the dozen guys who would throw a fit about "moving" the team to Providence will get over it.

PS:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3327389,-71.057804,350m/data=!3m1!1e3

In Andrew Square there is this completely underutilized track of land that may be big enough for a small stadium. This would put the stadium on the red line with access to the SE expressway. It'll help tie Dorchester and Southie together...It would be nice to have a neighborhood team too!

Just in case I haven't already riled up enough sports fans reading this thread, this would be an excellent location for New Fenway Park once the city and the Red Sox are forced to confront the harsh reality that - structural integrity be damned - Fenway Park can't survive another 47 years of active use and placing it on the Register of Historic Places has likely precluded any sort of significant further renovations or upgrades. It's time to pull out of Fenway, and preserve what we can of it as a museum.

You can always build a stadium with expectations and plans for future expansion in place.
Of course, this will require larger tract of land and unlikely to work in Assembly or Seaport.

Back