New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

Also, there is no reason that a stadium here cannot be compatible with UMass residential uses. Case Western U in Cleveland (Div. 3) built a residential complex ringing its football field. Not an exact analog but there is no reason that the stadium has to be surrounded by empty space or parking lots. A combo of retail/soccer pubs/pro shop with dorms hard up against the bleachers (Camden Yards, Ford Field) would be absolutely unique in pro sports. The Revs won't lose any revenue with some college kids watching from their windows and it could add some real excitement to the atmosphere.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5135325,-81.6034013,19z/data=!3m1!1e3

I think Kraft is going to want to own most of the site to maximize the return on investment. Following the Foxborogh model, it won't just be about playing Soccer games.

^ That would honestly be great for this part of dorchester. Theres a couple shops but dot ave or any of the corners are nothing compared to any of the squares in cambridge or the fenway area as far as shopping/dining/drinking. If he did it the right way for an urban setting this could be great. Build the stadium and surround it with a ton of shops like gillette and this instantly becomes a new go to spot in dorchester. Especially with the college right there and the dorms coming soon.

I see nothing but positives here. Its right on the water, its in the safest part of dorchester, next to a college, right off dot ave, close to southie, close to the jfk red line stop...etc. This would be a great addition as there really isn't any go-to spot in dorchester, everything is mostly spread out throughout the neighborhood. Theres not a single go-to destination to go to where everything is in one spot. Don't fucking say south bay center either haha, thats a fucking strip mall. Set this up like the part of patriots place right at the stadium with all new spots, paver walkways, awnings, outdoor patios....etc. and we have a winner.

The images I'm looking for aren't on google so this will suffice, but Im not exactly saying build this.

Sort of like this (patriots place)
Patriot-Place6519.jpg

But more like this (assembly square)
Assembly-Row-Point-Park.jpg

Basically you could learn from assembly square and patritos place and combine them to create a great new square in Dorchester with great transit access, in a safe area, with a good amount of diversity and also college students. I could see this along with the dorms making Umass a way more desirable school to attend for the future instead of just a get in get out commuter school. Dare I say call it Harbor Square? Columbia Square? Vernon Square? Either way it would be a hit. Bring it all the way up to the waterfront with docks and waterfront dining, maybe a liberty wharf type of deal and you have a winner.

Last edited:

I think Kraft is going to want to own most of the site to maximize the return on investment. Following the Foxborogh model, it won't just be about playing Soccer games.

UMass has publicly said they want dorms. It is a good spot for the. UMass owns the land and they can't sell it to Kraft without an open bid. They will have to lease it so the idea of Kraft alone managing the whole package is tough. I would not expect a Patriots Place model.

UMass could put out an RFR for private dorm developers and for retail developers along with the stadium. No reason Kraft could not create a good proposal but I expect that educational uses/dorm will have to be an element because it is is a public space with public purpose.

Umass is building dorms. Well a 3rd party is building them to house umass students. Dont quote me but I think the number was 1000 students.

Sure, I think it would have to be mixed use including student housing. No reason not to do ground level retail and restaurants.

But I don't see Kraft doing a deal where he brings in thousands of people and doesn't get some share of the retail/restaurant and entertainment like he does at Foxborogh.

Might as well just build another smaller grass field stadium at Foxborogh if he is just getting to get ticket sales in Boston.

Last edited:

Sorry for the bump...

Not an update, but a good op/ed from late last month about the mess that is Kosciuszko Circle.

I know that she was a schill for the Boston Olympics, and that most people think that she's the devil. With that said, Shirley is spot on here.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...stadium-not/t6ksqfv10sAYSpOq6pT6qJ/story.html

I had to dust it off, but I knew it would come in handy one day: Boston 2024’s Olympics plan.

Our dream to host the Summer Games may be long dead, but now Bob Kraft is talking about building a soccer stadium in Dorchester on land owned by the University of Massachusetts, where the local Olympics organizers had envisioned a $2.87 billion athletes’ village.

Both Kraft and UMass seem into the idea, but where talks could break down is over who will pick up the tab to fix adjacent Kosciuszko Circle, the notoriously treacherous rotary. The bill: at least $120 million.

That’s the analysis from Boston 2024, which studied the area last year as part of its failed pursuit of host city gold.

Kraft has been on the hunt for a soccer-only venue for his New England Revolution team and is now looking at that same Columbia Point site, where the Bayside Expo Center once stood. UMass bought the property out of foreclosure in 2010 and planned to expand the UMass Boston campus there.

But to make that site a viable option, Boston 2024 concluded that Kosciuszko Circle would need to go away. The group estimated that replacing the state-owned rotary with an intersection and traffic light would cost $120 million, at the low end. Add bypass roads and the tab climbs to as much as $220 million.

Under the Boston 2024 plan, the state would have picked up the cost.

Just as Governor Charlie Baker was reluctant to weigh in on whether he backed Boston’s Olympic bid, his administration is coy about its commitment to help bring a stadium to Dorchester.

“MassDOT is always willing to assist partners, like the City of Boston, to explore potential economic development initiatives, but the department has not conducted studies on this topic as it appears to be in the early stages,” according to a statement from Jacque Goddard, spokeswoman for the Massachusetts Department of Transportation.

The idea of a stadium at Columbia Point has been kicking around for at least a year. I am told that during the Olympics planning, Boston 2024 looked at putting the temporary stadium next to the village. Imagine: Athletes could just walk to the opening and closing ceremonies!

The venue could then be converted to a soccer stadium afterward, but that concept got scrapped because there wasn’t enough land to build both athlete housing and a stadium.

So what are the chances that Kraft, the billionaire owner of two pro sports teams, would take care of the infrastructure costs himself?

Let’s take a look at what happened with Gillette Stadium. Back in the late 1990s, Kraft, who also owns the New England Patriots, wanted to replace the Foxborough stadium where his football team played.

He looked in South Boston, but the community rebuffed him. Kraft then got a sweetheart deal from Connecticut and signed an agreement to relocate the team to Hartford.

But Massachusetts wasn’t ready to let go. Business leaders and politicians worked feverishly on a counteroffer. In the end, Kraft would build his own stadium, and the state would shoulder $70 million in infrastructure improvements, with the sports owner paying back the expense at a rate of $1.4 million a year.

I’m not holding my breath that Kraft will do the same in Boston. Here’s why:

He owns the land that Gillette sits on. A potential deal with UMass would likely come in the form of a long-term lease, and I can’t see Kraft ponying up big bucks to fix a rotary that would enhance the value of a property he doesn’t own.

The Revolution currently play at Gillette, but Kraft wants to build the team its own stadium, one that would seat about 20,000 to 25,000 soccer fans. The cost is estimated at about $200 million.

So should the state pay to fix K Circle? Of course, it should.

With the growth of UMass Boston and other projects in the pipeline, that area can’t blossom without transportation improvements, from fixing K Circle to upgrading the JFK/UMass Red Line Station.

A 2011 Boston Redevelopment Authority master plan of Columbia Point highlighted the circle’s constraints on development potential and called for a comprehensive traffic study, which has not been launched.

“The circle itself is not meeting today’s demand, and it’s absolutely not going to meet tomorrow’s demand,” said Richard Davey, the former CEO of Boston 2024 and a former state transportation secretary, under Deval Patrick.

“It’s a question of priorities,” he added. “There are so many fixes that have to be made. It’s not as if K Circle is a structurally deficient bridge or a 45-year-old Red Line car.”

True, the state transportation budget is already bulging with costly projects such as the Green Line extension and South Coast Rail.

But it’s time for the state to fix K Circle, regardless of whether Kraft can score with a new stadium.

Shirley Leung is a Globe columnist. She can be reached at shirley.leung@globe.com. Follow her on Twitter @leung.

Correction: She's just a schilling who talks out of her a$$.

Correction: She's just a schilling who talks out of her a$$.
I know. I get why people don't like her, but she's not Jezebel. Nor does she write for them. (I actually like to read Jezebel, but I'm yammering at this point).

Anyways, I have a friend who is a well-known journalist here in Boston. He told me that she never actually lived in Boston (she lives in Milton). Because she used to write in her op/ed columns that she would want towers and the Olympics (literally) in her backyard.

Not an actual update, but it is a new article talking about backstory a bit more.

On the previous article, I don't see why they would put a lot of money into K-Circle when a garage before K-Circle (for less than half the cost of converting to some sort of convoluted intersection with flyovers) could divert traffic before cars even get to the rotary and provide a needed parking garage to divert people onto public transportation.

New article on Bayside stadium proposal with mildly encouraging comments from Mayor Walsh: http://www.boston.com/news/soccer/2016/08/11/walsh-says-a-dorchester-soccer-stadium-would-require-traffic-fixes-first

At this point, anything Walsh touches or endorses is poison. If it has Walsh's support, then it probably is going to garner even more backlash than if he took no stance on it at all.

“I think it has to be a public solution. I think it could be a little bit of both [publicly and privately funded], but ultimately it has to be a public solution there,” he said.

Also why would the City fix K Circle first with "some" public money before Kraft builds? Why wouldn't the City make Kraft fix the circle? Why is he so eager to spend public funds?

At this point, anything Walsh touches or endorses is poison. If it has Walsh's support, then it probably is going to garner even more backlash than if he took no stance on it at all.

I don't think people were that upset about the cargo shorts.

I don't think people were that upset about the cargo shorts.

Everyone knows I hate the Herald, but they ran a good story today about Walsh trying to secretly resurrect Indy Car after it died: http://www.bostonherald.com/news/co...d_walsh_admits_he_attempted_to_save_indy_race

Note: Post Indy Car specific comments in the Indy Car thread please.

Seriously, at this point with the Olympics, Indy Car & now the Stadium, I think he could get primaried.

Also why would the City fix K Circle first with "some" public money before Kraft builds? Why wouldn't the City make Kraft fix the circle? Why is he so eager to spend public funds?

K Circle needs fixing regardless of a stadium happening. In a perfect world it would be happening in tandem with the reconstruction of Morrissey Boulevard. Some striping of lanes and improved signage would improve K Circle immensely, but it really needs an entire re-design to solve the underlying issues and to make it safe for cyclists and pedestrians.

Because at the end of the day the Krafts are not the owners of the land and have no incentive TODAY to fork their own money for a fix.

Before i moved to dorchester the framingham rotary was torn up and turned into a regular intersction. It immediately cut traffic in half. It sometimes could take 30 minutes to go 500ft down the street depending on how many trains there were. I work near alewife and when I would drive it took me about 35 mins to get to alewife (30 miles), then another 20 to go a half mile through both rotaries to work. Now I live near this rotary and although it seems to be nowhere near as bad as either of those are or were, I feel like regardless of the stadium this needs to be fixed. It would be nice to get Kraft in to pay some of it, but regardless it is something that has to be done either way. Its a pretty complicated situation that doesnt appear to have an easy solution, but thats why im not an engineer...although some of the decisions I have seen made in this city lead me to believe you dont have to be a genius.

Before i moved to dorchester the framingham rotary was torn up and turned into a regular intersction. It immediately cut traffic in half. It sometimes could take 30 minutes to go 500ft down the street depending on how many trains there were. I work near alewife and when I would drive it took me about 35 mins to get to alewife (30 miles), then another 20 to go a half mile through both rotaries to work. Now I live near this rotary and although it seems to be nowhere near as bad as either of those are or were, I feel like regardless of the stadium this needs to be fixed. It would be nice to get Kraft in to pay some of it, but regardless it is something that has to be done either way. Its a pretty complicated situation that doesnt appear to have an easy solution, but thats why im not an engineer...although some of the decisions I have seen made in this city lead me to believe you dont have to be a genius.

Stick -- because of the interaction with I-93 fixing K-Circle is the Commonwealth's responsibility

Could the revs be coming to Fenway? At this point, it kinda makes sense. It's the best that the Kraft group can hope for with his team finding a home in Boston.
http://www.bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2016/08/red_sox_owners_pitch_fenway_renovations?utm_campaign=bostonherald_trending_stories&utm_source=bostonherald&utm_medium=trending_stories

The plans for a regulation FIFA pitch raise the question of whether Fenway’s owners could be open to hosting New England Revolution soccer games. The Kraft Group-owned Major League Soccer team is in a similar situation to the New York City Football Club, also an MLS team. Both are looking for new stadiums in their respective cities, and both have had problems finding a suitable place to break ground and build.

NYCFC currently plays at Yankee Stadium — the team is partly owned by New York Yankees owner Yankee Global Enterprises — while the Revolution play home games at the Kraft Group’s Gillette Stadium in Foxboro.

The Revs are looking at the Boston market, and conceivably home games at a newly expanded Fenway would give the team an opportunity to introduce itself to the very market it seeks to join.

Red Sox spokeswoman Zineb Curran declined to elaborate on the team’s plans filed with the city, telling the Herald, “It would be premature to discuss publicly any proposed changes to the ballpark at this early stage, as we are still reviewing options internally and awaiting review and analysis from various city organizations, including the Landmarks Commission.”

A Kraft Group spokesman said he couldn’t reach the Kraft family for comment.

The Sox also want to add 124 new dugout seats for fans — 110 in the infield and 14 in the outfield — by replacing the existing field wall and extending the dugouts, camera pits and seating by one row toward the field, according to documents filed with 
the commission.

The Red Sox’s planned right-field grandstand bar would replace grandstand seats in the top six to seven rows of Sections 5 to 7 and a portion of Section 4. It would include bar rails and stools, with seating for 92 people on a new concrete platform. The changes would result in a net loss of 367 grandstand seats, according to a Red Sox diagram.

“The seats … face toward the Green Monster rather than toward the field of play,” Red Sox documents state. 
“The views are awkward and not ideal.”

A baseball stadium is a terrible venue for a soccer game.

The Westwood station area would be a pretty good option if they had not already built it up so much. Sits at the junction of 2 major highways, has a commuter rail station right there - it's 4 stops to South Station where people could hook up with the red line, and 3 stops from Back Bay where you could hook up with the orange line, Ruggles is 2 stops where you could hook up with the orange line. Also would offer direct rail access from Providence.

Back