New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

Its not a waste of space when you think that there can be concerts, events, umb games, random one off games like hockey or something, days where its open to the public to play local soccer games, or hockey, maybe a skateboarding competition, and then surround it with a bunch of new stores, bars, restaurants patriots place style, and it starts to paint a much different picture. This place is literally a waste of space right now because there is nothing there. Id be glad to have this built in my backyard as long as they fix that mess of a rotary which is in the works anyways. Also the people who live in harbor point are isolated away from all the retail...etc, so this would be great for all of those college kids to have a patriots place to go to essentially on campus to go along with their new student housing coming soon too. Build it!

It could be worse - we could be like Indianapolis or Minneapolis where you have a downtown stadium surrounded by a sea of parking lots taking up prime development space.

Exactly. As someone who lives in the area I can personally assure you all that this would be a billion times better than whats there now. If they make a patriots place around it-which dot is in need of, then its game over. We have some mom and pop spots...not as many as the rest of the city, but we basically have no new retail. Some is coming down the pipeline, but this would be great not only for northern dorchester, but also the students who will soon be living on campus along with the harbor point residents who are kind of isolated in their own little peninsula.

So you're saying Fenway is a waste of urban space???

You must be despondent since the Sox announced that they were going replace Pesky's Pole.

as brutal as i am on Yimby height, i'm just shot that you would say this!!

i'm a categorically, fully engaged Fenway Park lover....

We have a very good team ownership group + they're doing concerts, Winter Classic + snowboarding.

Henry is making a pretty solid case for Fenway Park's urban usage!!

After 86 years of pain and heartache, we got 3 championships in 10 years. :)

if someone told you after the 2003 debacle... and after going down 0-3 to the dreaded Yankees a year later , and down a run in the bottom of the 9th,

1. we'd win the game and sweep 'em...
2. we'd win 3 world championships in 10 years,

you'd have told that person, "you're smokin' ...pass that over!!"

What more could we possibly ask for?

build more seats and it's 100/100.

What more could we possibly ask for?

build more seats and it's 100/100.
Build more seats? Where? They've pretty much rebuilt the old girl out.

No sad pandas when they keep adding on and on and on and the whole park structurally gives way during a packed day game. All because you demanded that a bunch of multimillionaires protect your little lyrical bandbox.

Until the MLS becomes more popular (it's not even the most popular soccer league in its own country) it doesn't matter if the stadium is accessible by mass transit - they will still not sellout their stadium.

This is a silly statement. We could absolutely sell out a 22,000 seat stadium at the Bayside Expo Center for Revs games.

Also, I'm not sure what you're getting at with the "not most popular soccer league in the country" either:

2015 MLS:
Total attendance 7,335,053
Average attendance 21,574

2015 NASL:
Total attendance 975,558
Average attendance 5,912

2015 USL:
Total attendance 1,121,962
Average attendance 3,369

--

2016 MLS Week 24 Stats:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/4z47qn/the_mls_attendance_thread_week_24_2016/

Last edited:

This is a silly statement. We could absolutely sell out a 22,000 seat stadium at the Bayside Expo Center for Revs games.

Also, I'm not sure what you're getting at with the "not most popular soccer league in the country" either:

2015 MLS:
Total attendance 7,335,053
Average attendance 21,574

2015 NASL:
Total attendance 975,558
Average attendance 5,912

2015 USL:
Total attendance 1,121,962
Average attendance 3,369

--

2016 MLS Week 24 Stats:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/4z47qn/the_mls_attendance_thread_week_24_2016/

I am not referring to the NASL and the USL - those leagues are not even blips on the sports map in this country. I am referring to the European leagues - namely the Premiere League. The Premiere League enjoys better TV coverage and higher ratings than the MLS does. But this is a discussion for another thread.

My statement was more of a broad look at the MLS. You have teams that struggle to fill their stadiums and the common excuse is that the stadiums are out in the suburbs, or not accessible by mass transit. I have no doubt the Revs could sellout a 22,000 seat stadium at Bayside Expo, the question would be if they could consistently do it? I am betting against it but we won't know until the stadium exists.

I really hope they don't go the Fenway route. I've seen a few games (Chelsea preseason games in New York at Yankee Stadium and in St. Louis at Busch Stadium) and felt it was not a good venue for a soccer game.

It could be worse - we could be like Indianapolis or Minneapolis where you have a downtown stadium surrounded by a sea of parking lots taking up prime development space.

That will be the trick here. The old expo center is/was exactly that, a big building surrounded by parking lots. Should have a phased plan to replace the surface lots with a garage or two to make room for development.

And hopefully the city will focus on overall transportation rather than making the Revs have too much on-site parking. There are better places to have garages and have people park than taking up more space right next to the waterfront at the Revolution Bayside location. Having too massive a garage right there would disrupt the space. Better to have smaller garages for day to day and then rely on other parking arrangements for game day... Let people figure it out like at Fenwa.

^ I was at that game. It wasn't a bad experience, but the Revs will be vastly better served by a real SSS.

It did for the World Cup.

Seems a bit of a catch 22. The Revs want a smaller stadium in the city to be more popular through a better fan experience, but if they become more popular then won't they need a bigger stadium again 20 years from now? It would seem wise to keep a little room around the stadium in case they want to expand at some point.

Im sure they could design it with expansion in mind. Hell fenway even keeps adding thousands of seats and its over 100 yrs old.

Seems a bit of a catch 22. The Revs want a smaller stadium in the city to be more popular through a better fan experience, but if they become more popular then won't they need a bigger stadium again 20 years from now? It would seem wise to keep a little room around the stadium in case they want to expand at some point.

The previous statements that have been made over the years indicated that expansion would be designed in mind possibly around 25-28k seats, but the thing is that Gillette could (and should) still be used for high attendance games like the MLS Cup (we can only hope), its playoffs (we went over 40k in the run up to the 2014 cup), or international events like Copa and the World Cup. The point of the SSS in the city is to have consistent attendance all season compared to sporadic spikes & drops in attendance. Some Wed night games only get like 8-10k. If the stadium were in the city, a lot more people could just hop on the T after work and go and not have to worry about driving down to Gillette during weekday rush hour.

As abhorrent as soccer at Fenway is, with one of the deepest right fields and THE shallowest left field....

the beholder is left free to roam the spectrum from abject horror to cautious elation.

https://amandaswinhart.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/20120725_as_footballatfenway_006a.jpg

It actually worked pretty well for football last fall. I could see it for soccer, but not as a long term thing. Maybe one season at Fenway while the soccer specific field is built, just to get people used to seeing them in the city. After that, though, it would be too much. Plus, isn't there a bit of overlap in the seasons? I don't want the Redsox schedule impinged upon by a sport few baseball fans care about.

It actually worked pretty well for football last fall. I could see it for soccer, but not as a long term thing. Maybe one season at Fenway while the soccer specific field is built, just to get people used to seeing them in the city. After that, though, it would be too much. Plus, isn't there a bit of overlap in the seasons? I don't want the Redsox schedule impinged upon by a sport few baseball fans care about.

With the Fenway configuration you get the most seats at either end of the field and just a few good seats along the sides of the field. Better off staying at Gillette.

Out of left field here but what about playing at alumni stadium at BC until they have their own? The neighborhood would have a collective heart attack but at least it's on some transit.

Out of left field here but what about playing at alumni stadium at BC until they have their own? The neighborhood would have a collective heart attack but at least it's on some transit.

Not enough opportunity to gouge fans on concessions.

I'd be thrilled. I'm about a 20 minute walk, from Newton Highlands, and I'd speak up in support if it came to a squabble with Newton City Hall.

I'm not really in one of those abutting neighborhoods, though, and you're right, they'd go ape. BC has so many ongoing headaches with the neighborhoods in both Newton and Boston that I'm 100.0000% certain they would not want to take on another one on behalf of the Kraft family. Bob Kraft is a donor of some significance, but not a big enough donor (and not an alum) to convince them to stir a hornet's nest that is perpetually swarming in any event.

I can dream, though. I've never been to a Revs game, but would if they were so close by. Also would for evening games if they were T-easy-close from downtown.

What about Harvard Stadium? It certainly dosn't have the NIMBY's that BC struggles with.

Back