New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

Antarctic ice bath for those think choice for a stadium site is near.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...l-for-kraft/slYAx4tfAUuOQPTi4V56OJ/story.html

Could be Everett or Somerville then which are just 2 or 3 miles from the Garden and might look close on a map.

Or it is so early that they just came to some preliminary agreement with a landowner and it slipped out while they were still preparing a proposal for Boston.

How about build housing in Worcester and a stadium in Boston? Boston has more housing than we know how to move people around for.

The solution to traffic is to build more housing closer, not further away.

The solution to traffic is to build more housing closer, not further away.

The solution to traffic (and all the other resource constraints of trying to wedge too many people in one place) is to build less. Period. But the city is building housing, so it would also be nice for all those people that live in and around the city to have another T accessible place to go to see sports.

And Worcester isn't "further away". Worcester is the second largest city in New England. Further away from Boston yes, but not further away from a city. Massachusetts should be building up its cities where people can live more economically and still benefit from close proximity to city resources and jobs and not just in Boston.

The solution to traffic is to reorient out communities and build so that people don't have to drive as much. Focus new development on downtowns and town centers. Rework zoning so that mixed used is once again allowed, so that we actually can have corner stores and shops within walking distance of the majority of homes. Allow more housing types. Eliminate parking minimums. Make zoning form-based so that buildings are built in a pedestrian-friendly way, with vehicular access (parking lots and deliveries) behind rather than in front of or next to buildings.

Or it is so early that they just came to some preliminary agreement with a landowner and it slipped out while they were still preparing a proposal for Boston.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic but this is basically what I think is going on. I believe a site has been found and negotiations for the land purchase are ongoing if not getting very close to being complete. If that were true, everyone would deny, as they are, that any tangible progress has been made on locating a site. It cannot conceivably be good for negotiations if the Krafts announced (or even did not dispute) that they were getting close to locking up a site. Why else would the Miami MLS owner accidentally spill the beans? Seems unlikely that he is 100% wrong.

Maybe I am being overly optimistic but this is basically what I think is going on. I believe a site has been found and negotiations for the land purchase are ongoing if not getting very close to being complete. If that were true, everyone would deny, as they are, that any tangible progress has been made on locating a site. It cannot conceivably be good for negotiations if the Krafts announced (or even did not dispute) that they were getting close to locking up a site. Why else would the Miami MLS owner accidentally spill the beans? Seems unlikely that he is 100% wrong.

Exactly. The Globe article is a giant paywalled clickbait nothingburger. The article has no actual reporting on whether something is or isnt happening.

Exactly. The Globe article is a giant paywalled clickbait nothingburger. The article has no actual reporting on whether something is or isnt happening.

To be fair, the follow up reporting on the Miami owners statements did provide some information.

1) That the Revolution aren't ready to go public with any proposal.
2) That the City of Boston hasn't been notified of any proposal.
3) No one specifically contradicted the Miami owner's statements, so I would take it as implicit confirmation that some preliminary proposal in relative close proximity to the Garden was relayed to either the Miami owner individually or to the owners as a group.
4) There is no time frame for a proposal to be made public, so unless there are additional leaks then we will just have to wait and see... which has been SOP in this thread anyway.

Looks like RI might be making a strong push to bring the revolution to town. Consolation prize for the PawSox leaving...From the Providence Journal- Lt. Gov. Dan McKee "noted that Bob Kraft, owner of the New England Patriots and the New England Revolution, is looking to build a new soccer stadium and has been unable to close a deal in Boston — McKee hopes the Apex site, with its location on Route 95, could be an option."

Surprised this didn't get posted yet. Rumors spread yesterday about the Krafts possibly purchasing land in Allston Yards...

Rumors, right around the time that RI was making a pitch to get the Krafts to move there? What an amazing coincidence!

Rumors, right around the time that RI was making a pitch to get the Krafts to move there? What an amazing coincidence!

Almost as odd as rumors starting up when season ticket renewals are due

The tweet:

https://twitter.com/TommyQuinlan_IV/status/1031506916470677505?s=19

Tom Quinlan
@TommyQuinlan_IV

To recap: I’ve been notified by multiple sources that the #NERevs have acquired private land. Several sites being discussed, though nothing definitive. Both sources have said to expect something Allston/Brighton/Cambridge area. North Beacon/Allston Yards project. Look there.

The Pawtucket Revs?

If it is Allston yards, and very close to the Bruins and Celtics facilities that are in the New Balance Development, I wonder if the Miami MLS owner was simply confused when he said that the Revs were working on a new stadium near the Garden.

This Quinlan guy from WPRO in Providence claims the Krafts have bought land somewhere in this area:
"To recap: I’ve been notified by multiple sources that the #NERevs have acquired private land. Several sites being discussed, though nothing definitive. Both sources have said to expect something Allston/Brighton/Cambridge area. North Beacon/Allston Yards project. Look there."

Aside from the apparent internal inconsistency in that statement, a soccer stadium with parking etc. requires a site of at least five acres. The new DC United stadium is on 8.7 acres, and a mile walk from the Metro.

So where does one find 5+ acres in this general area? Harvard is not going to give up its Beacon Yards land for a soccer stadium, unless the Krafts are exceedingly generous.

However, Harvard owns 176 Lincoln and 100 Holten, a combined 422,000 square feet of land area, almost ten acres. This land was/is to be swapped for Boston Skating Club's land on Western Ave, but the Skating Club seems to be struggling to finance its new building on the Lincoln and Holten parcels. Perhaps, the land is on the market?

Across Everett St from 176 Lincoln, the Church of Scientology owns several parcels. with a total of 93,500 square feet.

Between the Harvard land and the Scientology land, that's almost 12 acr3es.

The only downside to this site is its not close to a subway stop.

Last month, Boston Landing deeded 71 Guest Street to an affiliate and filed a notice of project change with the BPDA (link to download). Now the office space component of 71 Guest has been pulled from the project website (here's the dead former URL for that building). Any chance they remove this parcel from the project altogether and develop it with the Krafts instead? It's only four acres by itself, but if they also managed to acquire that stubborn self-storage warehouse at 145 North Beacon, they would have seven acres and a larger footprint than the concrete bowl of Harvard Stadium. Of course this is all moot if they're actually building at 71 Guest right now - I have no idea.

So where does one find 5+ acres in this general area? Harvard is not going to give up its Beacon Yards land for a soccer stadium, unless the Krafts are exceedingly generous.

Maybe here? It would be nice to see this actually used.

XT07UiY.jpg

Maybe here? It would be nice to see this actually used.

XT07UiY.jpg

Harvard owns the building within the red box. Harvard also owns the large building to its left, with the JumponIn pin. Harvard owns the triangular building to the left of the JumponIn pin. Harvard also owns the black-roof building on Antwerp St. just to the left of the bright white roof building. I did not include the triangular building or the black roof building in my land totals for Harvard.

The building to the left of the Boston Landing sign is a new Public Storage building.

Scientology's land is across Everett St. from the red box.

Back