New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

Maybe another site looking to get in on this? Doesn't sound like they've had any discussions with Kraft, though.

"A town center with between 12 and 15 buildings, including luxury housing, restaurants, retail, a hockey rink or even a 10,000-seat soccer and lacrosse stadium."

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/r...ouncil-to-hear-new-1b-southfield-revival.html

Totally unrelated. 10,000 is way too small. We need about +/- 25,000 seats.

Also, this wouldn't be a better location than their current stadium.

Would 10,000 be a good size for one of the two local lacrosse teams though? Since those don't necessarily need to be in the city since lacrosse is very suburban.

Would 10,000 be a good size for one of the two local lacrosse teams though? Since those don't necessarily need to be in the city since lacrosse is very suburban.

We still have two? I thought the Blazers suspended operations? Maybe they would reboot given a new venue...

As for the Cannon, at least BU is centralized between the suburbs. I doubt many folks will drive from the northwestern, lacrosse-happy suburbs; let alone the North Shore; to Weymouth to watch the sport played professionally. Lacrosse isn't going to pull people to the South Shore like football does.

I wonder who all those kids were I saw practicing lacrosse at the ball fields by Carson Beach last weekend?

4jnorr.jpg

I think this would be a reasonable spot.

My other idea was the EB HS football/soccer field. A smaller stadium would fit there - not sure about the local sentiment, but a naming rights like JetBlue Field would help its case I suppose. Also given the EB Hispanic population and it being right on the BL would help it become a successful project.

The SB parcel though seems easier though..

4jnorr.jpg

I think this would be a reasonable spot.

My other idea was the EB HS football/soccer field. A smaller stadium would fit there - not sure about the local sentiment, but a naming rights like JetBlue Field would help its case I suppose. Also given the EB Hispanic population and it being right on the BL would help it become a successful project.

The SB parcel though seems easier though..

I've always thought that one of the best ways to make a soccer stadium happen might be for the Revs to rebuild a small municipal or academic stadium and then share it for smaller public events. This could possibly work with East Boston Memorial Stadium, Dilboy Field in Somerville, Columbus Park in Southie, Hormel Stadium in Medford, BC High on Columbia Point, etc. I agree that the Eastie Stadium is probably the most appealing of the bunch due to it's Blue Line and highway access, the fact that the fields there are always full of kids and young adults playing soccer, and its proximity to the airport making noise less of an issue. One problem with this is that municipal stadiums almost always have running tracks and soccer-specific stadiums definitely do not, so the tracks would have to be relocated somewhere nearby.

I've also had my eye on the chunk of Logan immediately east of the Wood Island T stop. If only those airport operations buildings could be moved somewhere and the stadium height could be kept low enough to accommodate the runways...

Yea, I doubt Massport would be willing to give up any of that land though... EB would definitely be an awesome spot considering its ease of access to a demographic that would undoubtedly take most interest in the sport, not to mention transit connectivity.

airport_site.jpg

The problem I see is that EB HS would not like giving up that land for its sports/rec activities. MAYBE... if this infrastructure could be located on this old wharf here,

image.jpg

EB HS could consider the benefits of closer facilities and help the city redevelop blighted infrastructure as well.

Just some thoughts..

Behind the convention center would be cool but its already going to be expanded onto that space. The seaport has no rail and you dont want 30k people on that portion of the pike when people are trying to get to logan. The dmu's could make a tiny dent but its a single track and will already be packed.

Behind the convention center would be cool but its already going to be expanded onto that space.

Put a retractable roof on it and call it a Grand Ballroom in the offseason

Put a retractable roof on it and call it a Grand Ballroom in the offseason

The issue with this is that depending on the playoffs, the stadium would only be unused by the Revs for three to four months.

I've got it:

Moakley Park in South Boston. You could plop a soccer-specific-stadium onto one or two of the existing fields and still have it open to the public when it's not in use. Transit accessible: right next to the JFK/UMass Red Line Station.

The baseball fields at Bunker Hill Community College could be re-purposed and used to locate a stadium there.

And as part of the deal the state could provide new facilities for BHCC. The existing facilities, parking, and baseball fields take up a large sprawling area which could be redeveloped with the stadium providing an entertainment venue for a new mixed use redevelopment including new academic buildings, commercial and residential.

There is adjacent access to the Community College Orange line station at and nearly direct access to rt 1 and good access to rt 93.

I've got it:

Moakley Park in South Boston. You could plop a soccer-specific-stadium onto one or two of the existing fields and still have it open to the public when it's not in use. Transit accessible: right next to the JFK/UMass Red Line Station.

Was this mentioned as an alternative for the temporary Olympic Stadium? It really should have been. Right next to the Olympic Village without any remediation or ridiculous billion dollar big deck infrastructure costs... oh well.

Although, I don't like the idea for a soccer specific stadium. You could fit a soccer specific stadium right across the road at UMass Boston's Bayside Expo Center site... a small soccer stadium might only take up about a 1/3 of the site and the lease/sale money could help UMass build out the dorms. And an entertainment facility could be an anchor tenant for a mixed use development there that could help further fund UMass.

I've got it:

Not a bad idea at all.. There's RL and I93 right there, I think that's pretty viable.

I am still holding out that Kraft revisits putting it on Parcel 3 in Roxbury right near Ruggles and RCC. Land should be big enough, would be a huge boon to Roxbury and they could maybe work out some deal with NU so they could finally get an "on-campus" field. Edna Lewis has now been designated for how many years without any movement...

I am still holding out that Kraft revisits putting it on Parcel 3 in Roxbury right near Ruggles and RCC. Land should be big enough, would be a huge boon to Roxbury and they could maybe work out some deal with NU so they could finally get an "on-campus" field. Edna Lewis has now been designated for how many years without any movement...

That ship has long sailed. Tremont Crossing is supposed to be going on that parcel now. Also, the people of Roxbury would lose their shit.

What do you not like about it? That it's just one use?

I didn't like the idea to put it there in part because it seems like it over commercializes what is now a local park for use by local teams for a variety of sports. But I could also see how it could be made to work if some effort was put into making it benefit local athletics and local parks.

My vision for any new stadium in Boston is something that evokes the sense of context that Fenway Park or the Garden have developed over time. A stadium surrounded by city streets that support local businesses, restaurants, bars, that can all leverage the attraction of the stadium for economic benefit but also to create their own sense of place, context and evoke a nostalgia over time.

But the more I think about it, the more I think the location could be made to work. You could move the track and field to the middle of Joe Moakley Park with a small grandstand. You could also do the upgrades to Harambee Park that Boston 2024 talked about as a legacy in order to mitigate the displacement to other local teams.

You could also make a renewed push for the mixed use redevelopment at Bayside Expo/Columbia Point. Where I was thinking you could just have the soccer stadium itself, but I think with the right mix of businesses, cafes, bars and restaurants you could still make it part of game day experiences if you use the stadium at Joe Moakley Park and get people to come across the road.

Unfortunately though if you think in terms of people just going to and from the game, that unless the parking is over there, then people are going to just head over to the T and skip that area for the most part, so I really think you need to think about Columbia Point and some parking garages as part of the redevelopment there and how they are located.

Back