New England Revolution Stadium | 173 Alford Street | Boston-Everett

Re: Site in Hub top choice for a soccer stadium

We are on fucking point on this website. That ^ was ill as hell, you predicted the spot and rendered it before it was even news, we broke the GE renders, people dont want to post shit so we rip it and post it anyways, people find shit that noone in their right mind should find. When they don't release renders we make our own. The rendering of the soccer stadium at the expo center is a render that probably Robert Kraft doesn't even have. Keep it the fuck up.

Some thoughts from AdamInJP (big Revs supporter/SG organizer) on Reddit:

[–]New England Revolution AdamInJP 12 points 34 minutes ago

So, some thoughts from someone who's been watching the Kraft/Boston stadium situation for many years:
  1. I just came a little. The exact spot they're talking about is one I've described in the past as a pipedream ideal location, provided they take some obvious (and desperately needed) traffic mitigation projects on.
  2. This is closer to fewer MBTA lines than the Frontage Road site we've been talking about for a couple years, but substantially closer to an MBTA station.
  3. The scenery around Bayside is way, way the fuck better than on Frontage Road. Frontage Road would have literally been in the shadow of the interstate (and not in a scenic, "look at this pretty bridge" way like Philly's stadium is). By Bayside, you've got, well, bay. And an unobstructed view of the financial district and all of Boston's iconic buildings.
  4. Kraft et al don't let news leak unless they want it to. That said, it's interesting to me that this comes from the business section of the Globe, not the sports section or even the local coverage section(s).
  5. There is no 5.
  6. UMass being involved is probably a good thing. The system is headed by Marty Meehan, a former longtime US Congressman from north of Boston, and he'll know what palms to grease and what unions to bribe to get the damn thing built. Marty Walsh, Mayor of Boston, is under a bit of fire right now for requiring union labor for the setup and operation of certain city events, which he's not allowed to do. Depending on whether any challengers emerge for his seat in the coming months (mayor's seat is up for reelection next year), he may be in a position to allow this to move quickly and transparently to demonstrate his contrition.
  7. NIMBY shouldn't be as much of a problem here as in some other pipedream locations. There is a neighborhood not far from the Bayside that will probably raise a stink, but it's contained and, frankly, not a ton of people. Those folks might be sufficiently mollified if the nearby rotary of doom is torn down and replaced with something less shitty. (for real, Kosciuzko Circle is the biggest headache in the state).
  8. Cue the shitty thinkpieces from people who don't have a fucking clue about building in Boston.
  9. Fuck it, I'm raising a toast tonight to the possibility that we actually get a Bayside stadium. Santander Field by the Bay, home of the New England Revolution. Give me the thing.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/4p73kt/kraft_umass_in_talks_for_stadium_in_dorchester/

It's perfect but will never happen after the southy and dot nimbys come out in force.

All good. Beats the crap out of all the other proposed locations that have been floated.

For bonus points it would be good to build a garage or garages instead of surface lots and make a surrounding mixed use development to really take advantage of the space.

Use the proceeds from a sale to Kraft for UMass Boston to build dorms on campus.

Better yet put a 5000 car garage right at the JFK/UMass T Station and save the Bayside site for all mixed use development. Let people walk across from the T Station/garage and avoid putting traffic on the rotary altogether.

I dont even watch soccer but im moving 3 mins from there n will absolutely go.

Sold. I'll proudly go to (soon-to-be-named corporate) stadium/park...

...in my Timbers jersey!

Seriously though, this is solid as a rock!

It's perfect but will never happen after the southy and dot nimbys come out in force.
Did you read the post from the Revs fan? This isn't the Pats drawing 60-65k a game. This is more like 20-30k a game. And MLS and NFL fans are a totally different breed. Night and day.

Will there some opposition? Well, yeah? This is Boston. NIMBY capitol of the universe. But aside from a few letters, this will go through rather quickly (fingers crossed).

Last edited:

...in my Timbers jersey!

raw

As a non soccer fan, my team is still the revs-Boston sports for life, I am extremely excited about this for the people who are die hard revs fans. I will definitely go to a few of these games if built to support them. This is just another piece that will add to making this city even greater. The more public spaces the better. Not only will this be a soccer stadium, but a brand new concert venue, public speaking arena, you name it. I don't have to be a soccer fan to be extremely excited about this, I just love seeing Boston grow into something better every year. Bravo. We are also getting a taller skyline with very good development in the coming years and this will be another way to show the world what we have become, in the live shots. More tourists as well to see this great city. Im all in.

The Savin Hill NIMBYs are pretty strong... remember Marty used to live there. No way this gets approved in that location. They complain about traffic all the time, mostly on Morissey. They vetoed some on campus housing for UMass Boston in the past. I'm sure there's some Southie neighborhood groups that would strongly oppose as well. Like it or not traffic is horrific in that area a lot of the day.

The Savin Hill NIMBYs are pretty strong... remember Marty used to live there. No way this gets approved in that location. They complain about traffic all the time, mostly on Morissey. They vetoed some on campus housing for UMass Boston in the past. I'm sure there's some Southie neighborhood groups that would strongly oppose as well. Like it or not traffic is horrific in that area a lot of the day.
Is it horrific on a Saturday at 7:30 pm? On a Sunday at 4pm? That's when the majority of MLS games occur, save for the few Wednesday night games per season (out of 34 games total). The reality is that the vast majority of MLS games will not be occurring during weekday rush hour unlike Red Sox games.

From the Globe article (my emphasis),
Meh, they've never been "close to an agreement" with any parcel so this is just par for the course.

Its not horrific but its no walk thru the park. With stadium right there it would be gridlock no doubt. Maybe they can build a flyover the rotary.

I would LOVE to see this be built & built quickly.

Its not horrific but its no walk thru the park. With stadium right there it would be gridlock no doubt. Maybe they can build a flyover the rotary.

The southie crowd is already sharpening the pitchforks they used the last time Krafty Bob wanted to build a stadium near their hood:

US Representative Stephen Lynch, whose district includes South Boston and the Dorchester waterfront, is already worried.

“The situation is getting progressively worse as the South Boston waterfront development has greatly increased the volume of traffic along the Morrissey Boulevard corridor. So basically it’s a bad idea,” Lynch said in a statement.

This is the such a solid proposal. I tend to take updates in this thread very lightly, but I have a good feeling about this. I can understand that nearby neighbors will have concerns, but this is too good.

Why is everyone assuming the fans will be dominantly driving to this location?

I know they drive today, because they have to -- Gillette is in the middle of nowhere.

But the fan base is heavily located on the T, as I understand, so being at JFK/UMass should generate a lot of T trips, not necessarily car trips. Isn't that why they want to move into the city anyway?

I know they drive today, because they have to -- Gillette is in the middle of nowhere.

But the fan base is heavily located on the T, as I understand, so being at JFK/UMass should generate a lot of T trips, not necessarily car trips. Isn't that why they want to move into the city anyway?

Plus a lot of the soccer fans are international students/grad students/post-docs/H-1Bs that are living in boston+surrounds w/out a car. I think Kraft knows this.

This is precisely the case. Unfortunately, some of the people from CT & RI that drive in will not be attending as many games or canceling their season tickets, BUT they will be replaced by fans in the Boston-metro using transit. This is what always annoys me about the old "is it season ticket time already" comments every time they announce a site. If anything, a stadium move disproportionately effects the STHs in a negative way than it does a positive. It's not like people are going to buy STs this cycle just because the Revs announce a stadium move. The trope annoys me to no end.

If I owned the Revs, I'd take a run at putting a stadium at Suffolk Downs. If I were as rich as Kraft, as part of that I'd seek to buy all of Suffolk Downs, so that I could not only put my soccer stadium there, but could control the site for additional uses. Cirque du Soleil is set up there now, for just one example, and I think that site is plenty big for a typically-sized soccer stadium with plenty left over for visiting circus troupes and other such special events that won't fit into the stadium itself. Probably still space left over for T-oriented development at the two stations on top of all that.

Good T access, and probably a better reception from the neighbors.

The owners of Suffolk Downs seem to be seriously self-delusional, though, so maybe Kraft already tried and got nowhere.

Despite living 10 minutes from Suffolk Downs, in the interest of urbanism & solving the housing crisis, I will be the first to say a stadium is absolutely the worst use for Suffolk Downs. SD needs to be developed into a 30,000 housing unit mixed-income green community. It has everything it needs to succeed including 2 rapid transit stops on a line that is under capacity (blue).

Last edited:

Back