New Lansdowne St.

Well it better be open in time. I just bought my tickets to the Dropkicks Sunday show in March...

Unfortunately, you can't plan a Wally's. You just open it up and hope it develops into something. The problem with a HOB or anything like it. It thinks that it's Wally's on the first day because it has Blues in the name, and memorabilia on the wall. Kind of like a Planet Hollywood for music. Which we already have, but it goes by the name of Hard Rock Cafe. Another abortion of a concept, but at least it's now where it belongs in Faneuil Hall where all the hipsters, tourists, and drunk college kids can easily find it.

HOB is just another nail in the Lansdowne street coffin. It is all part of turning the area around Fenway into the same thing as every other city, with cookie cutter bars all around with hokey names and glittery lights. To put it in other terms, walking down Lansdowne you pass the Cask N' Flagon, The House of Blues, and Jillians on the other end. This would be much like walking by Walmart, Lowe's, Home Depot, and a Target elsewhere.

How can you liken the Cask to a Walmart and Target? The Cask N Flagon is a Boston institution and it only has one location. Take a stroll through other cities, such as Houston, Atlanta or Dallas and you will see chain places. Buffalo Wild Wings, Dave and Busters, etc. in the downtown areas.

Seamus, I disagree. Sure, I'm not thrilled with HOB either but it's tough to compare the rest of those places to Walmart, Target and Lowe's. The Cask is self explainitory, Bleacher Bar is VERY unique (how many nightspots overlook center field at a stadium as historic as Fenway), Sure, Game-On! may be a bit cliche, but it's local (part of Boston-based Lyon's group) and it's attached to Fenway.

Yeah dude, the only hokey place around Fenway right now is HOB, which, while belonging in the Seaport, could be worse. Although, I will miss the fact that I will never be able to experience Avalon/Axis.

As consolation, I think the HOB is the planned Lansdowne street complex with a new name. That is, when HOB bought the project, I dont think they changed anything on the inside. What does it matter what its called?

Meh. I didn't like the Cask N' Flagon before it got redone, and I like it less now. It may not be a chain, but it feels as oversized, overrated, and impersonal as any of those bix box stores. Being local doesn't make something personal to me. That's just opinion, but I would rather see 3 local bars with feeling and personality than the gigantic, we got the market conered, Cask with it's lines out the door.

I have not had a chance (nor probably won't) to experience the bleacher bar, which is a great idea. This area could use some other great ideas, and it could steal them from Wrigley Field and the surrounding neighborhood.

I would probably not dislike it so much if there were about 5 other bars in the area to take my mind off of it. It seems funny to me, that these places exist in greater abundance around the Garden than around Fenway. I know the Boylston street bars are not far away, but it just feels like this area is lacking.

Jillian's I have better feelings about than the other 2 but I needed a third to fill in my rant. Also, I don't like that this length of street only gives you these 3 big ol places to choose from instead of 8 - 10 smaller joints.

I guess Jake Ivory's and Bill's Bar are still there. I'll chill for now. I just don't like the HOB. I have been to Dallas and Atlanta (not Houston), and of course I wouldn't want those downtowns. I was just in Minneapolis by their arena and found it nauseating. But, Boston doesn't need to make up night life like that to draw people in. We have winning teams, and college kids in abundance. Give them a spot, and you'll have night life. It doesn't need neon, sparkles, streamers, and a gimmick to draw them in. Just a good ol bar with booze and lots of TV's for games, and booze and a dance floor for the non game night meat market.

A good night life requires live music, and that's what this is -- a hall for live music.

A good city requires unique places that provide a different experience from what tourists would find in their own city or that locals would find in their own travels.

^likewise

I went to the HOB in Chicago and, granted they have great confined music venues, it was a really good atmosphere and a great time.

M

I would probably not dislike it so much if there were about 5 other bars in the area to take my mind off of it. It seems funny to me, that these places exist in greater abundance around the Garden than around Fenway. I know the Boylston street bars are not far away, but it just feels like this area is lacking.

Am I reading this right? Youre saying there arent 5 other bars?

Besides Cask, Jillians, Teqilla Rain, the Bleacher Bar, the Beer Works and Game On! There's Coperfields, Down Under, An Tua Nua and Audoban, and theres one on Kil___ street. Im sure Im forgetting others.

No. Read it as 5 additional bars. Not 5 other bars.

I'm speaking more from my personal opinions of bars which don't match most. I'm not going to argue that I'm right because it's strictly opinion. But, the first 6 you mentioned are the bars that turn me off.

I'll withhold any further judgment until March. After the show I'll see how much I like it. I'm too anti things like this. Hell I liked Avalon and Axis alot more before the major renovation a decade or so ago, but I'm sure they did pretty well after the makeover.

To answer a few questions earlier in the thread, here is a scan of Olmstead's original street alignments and nomenclature for the Fenway area.

*Sigh* If that was one of the I93 vent buildings we'd be calling for it to be covered up.

This building is so ugly it defies words and pictures. You really need to see it up close to take it all in.

This building fits perfectly with the seemingly transient and temporary nature of Landsdowne Street. In a way it works, not because of the aesthetics, but the fact that it will be renovated or torn down in about 7 years.

Is it ugly from the front? Not many people will care what it looks like from the back.

Long blank side or back walls seem to be an unfortunate feature of any theatre or concert hall, since you can't have windows.

Wouldn't be too bad if it didn't look so cheap...does it at least light up at night?

Back