New Red and Orange Line Cars

Re: MBTA Survey - Pick the New RL, OL, & GL Livery

I honestly don't care, and in all honesty, sort of feel like I'm telling Marie Antoinette that the regional transit system is crumbling under systemic structural and financial pressure and she's telling me that I can eat cake.

Not to get too dramatic about it.

I don't think the artist for the Red Line rendering has ever been to Harvard station.

I don't think the artist for the Red Line rendering has ever been to Harvard station.

It's obviously one of CRRC's (formerly CNR) stock backgrounds. Actually, screw the trains, can we have those stations instead?

Are there official Pantone colors for each line?

If you're going by rigid adherence to the Cambridge Seven Associates system design guide, yes. But all those ugly ass teal-painted trolleys kind of puked all over that 20 years ago, so that cat ain't going back in the bag.

Eh...if you want function the only real requirements are:

-- Does it wear well with grime?
-- Does it wear well with stainless steel and window 'scratchiti'?
-- Does it wash well?
-- Are any/all functional markers (T logo, car numbers, warning text) maximally readable. You do need to easily be able to see the car number when making a customer service report; that's more important than any aesthetics.

I think they have to ditch all those T logos painted in the color of their lines and go for straight black-outline, because that's really not very readable. Especially if you're going to have all exterior text done in the same color.

Don't think the logo wrapping around windows is a good idea. That's just an open invite to scratchiti all over the windows.

The color ends are an interesting concept that looks neat, but that's going to have some issues with winter grime on the leading and trailing cars. And if a paint job needs to be patched it's probably easier to not have some parts of the car significantly more design-complex to patch up than others. If those polka dots start peeling off they're going to be left to peel off longer than if a solid-bloc side section starts coming up. That adhesive 'paint' gets fixed very fast in the shop on the Red 01800's when it peels, but I can't see that happening if it's a custom motif that changes/transitions dramatically on different parts of a single side of the carbody. Keep it simple.

For HRT, I guess the most keep-it-simple is #1 with the logo and all other text switched to max-readability black. In other words, pretty much a vanilla facsimile to the Red 01800's. The black + color-frame ends being the same on every choice is safe assumption because of the default materials: more plastic, little stainless steel vs. the sides. (The one function-over-form design choice I wish they'd bring back is the bright red bold font car numbers from the Orange 01200's. Those are the most readable by far, and do serve that customer reporting purpose.)

For the trolleys...the size of the windows and the ad slots limit how much visible paint there is, period. You're going to end up with something that looks like a Type 8, and there's a lot more plastic molding vs. the HRT cars so less open stainless steel canvas to work with.

Don't like #2's black striping...that's going to look really drab when dirty. Front ends won't hide nicks and bruises all that well with the two-tone mix of #1 and #3...just keep it monochrome green like all the previous paint schemes (Bredas have black framing around the headlights, but that's because of different plastic pieces). Also, if these are going to have any sort of yellow safety stripe affixed to the bottom of the front windows like the Type 8's do you want a dead-simple contrast on the front end for max visibility.

Sort of doubt #3's black stripe matched to the white reflective stripe is going to fly. Green vs. reflective white is flat-out more reflective overall. Or tri-color: reflective white stripe vs. middle green stripe vs. bottom black stripe.

Otherwise, these look better than the Bredas which hide their green way too low and are just drab and grey all around. These is about as close as you're getting to a 'traditional' GL color scheme with all the extra space eaten up by low-floor windows and ad slots, and prefab plastic pieces limiting the color locations to where the panels fit (vs. anywhere the painter chooses like on the uniformly all-aluminum Type 7's).

Now let's see some interior shots! I wanna know if one of their trendy picks has any potential for becoming next generation's "Carter Administration faux-wood paneling" anachronism. ;)

the Cambridge Seven Associates system design guide

Is this publicly available anywhere?

(And by 'publicly available' I mean via one or two clicks on the internet)

I dislike any giant T logos on the cars. That kind of graphic might look good on an airplane that is normally viewed from a distance. But the scale seems all wrong on a subway car where passengers will be looking at it from just a few feet away.

Also, do the cars really have to be the color of their line designation? It seems that in most systems, transit line colors are only on signs and maps, and not all over the vehicles themselves.

Also, do the cars really have to be the color of their line designation? It seems that in most systems, transit line colors are only on signs and maps, and not all over the vehicles themselves.

It's a just Boston thing. Probably not going to change.

On many other systems the vehicles have some sort of interchangeability among lines. All of the MBTA vehicles are specific to the lines and while some may be technically similar, it is the dimensions that make the difference. Since we can't change that, might as well run with the theme. I actually kind of like it. I am easily confused in DC, where the line color is a dot on the train and a two letter abbreviation.

Now let's see some interior shots! I wanna know if one of their trendy picks has any potential for becoming next generation's "Carter Administration faux-wood paneling" anachronism. ;)

Hopefully magenta/purple and creepy fleshy-salmon like on the commuter rail!

I like the ones with the dots, but they strike me as the ones most likely to look horribly dated in a decade or two.

Are there official Pantone colors for each line?

There are several. The MBTA maps use one set of colors. They're more or less what gets used on signage and maps, but not always on the cars themselves.

The GTFS static data feed (which contains the scheduled route and stop information) includes a field for colors. Those are different from the usual colors and presumably for mapping: the rapid transit lines are darker and duller, while the commuter rail is brighter.

Is this publicly available anywhere?

(And by 'publicly available' I mean via one or two clicks on the internet)

https://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/...onstruction/Manual-of-Guidelines.Section2.pdf

^^Ta-da! Pantone numbers all listed on p.15, though that's for signage and wayfinding done to-spec on allowable signage and print materials. It obviously has to have enough give in it to functionally match with vehicle build materials (paint-on-aluminum vs. decal-on-stainless steel vs. molded plastic, etc.).

It's a little bit sad how much discipline has slipped at adhering to such immaculately consistent specs, because it's pretty breathtaking how much attention to detail was put into these specs by C7A* back in the day.

(*They're still very much around based at 1050 Mass Ave. halfway between Central and Harvard).

Not sure I understand or agree why the survey thread was folded into the RL & OL thread. The GL is included in this too and instead of having a separate thread with the survey link readily available/easily seen, the survey is now buried in this massive thread.

https://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/...onstruction/Manual-of-Guidelines.Section2.pdf

^^Ta-da! Pantone numbers all listed on p.15, though that's for signage and wayfinding done to-spec on allowable signage and print materials. It obviously has to have enough give in it to functionally match with vehicle build materials (paint-on-aluminum vs. decal-on-stainless steel vs. molded plastic, etc.).

It's a little bit sad how much discipline has slipped at adhering to such immaculately consistent specs, because it's pretty breathtaking how much attention to detail was put into these specs by C7A* back in the day.

(*They're still very much around based at 1050 Mass Ave. halfway between Central and Harvard).

I have a copy of the 2007 station color guide. Pantones as follows:

Orange: 144C
Red: 485C
Green: 348C
Blue: 293C
Commuter Rail: 255C
Silver: 429C

I dislike any giant T logos on the cars. That kind of graphic might look good on an airplane that is normally viewed from a distance. But the scale seems all wrong on a subway car where passengers will be looking at it from just a few feet away.

I personally love it. That is our roundel, our logo, and our name - it is the whole brand. I want to see it bigger and bolder throughout the system. Our trains travel above ground often enough that the big branding plays a role.

Oddly, our colors serve no purpose because we don't have any platform sharing. Compare with DC where you have to squint at every train to tell which line it is and where it is going. Maybe if I rode DC metro all the time I would be used to it, but I personally find it extremely difficult to tell at a glance what train I'm boarding. Obviously they don't paint their trains to maintain interchangeability, but they could use a good does of color changing LEDs or something.

I have a copy of the 2007 station color guide. Pantones as follows:

Orange: 144C
Red: 485C
Green: 348C
Blue: 293C
Commuter Rail: 255C
Silver: 429C

My T-map-maker-in-my-spare-time self deeply thanks you.

I definitely like having the colors on the cars - it's a nice visual distinction between them even if it's not necessary. But I'd like to see a common visual style between at least the three heavy rail lines, differing only by the color.

I think it would have been worthwhile to come up with a livery that worked across trains and trolleys to impose some visual cohesion. Lacking that, at least the T logo could be identical.

Back