New Red and Orange Line Cars

Yes, you should. The MTA's M7 and M8 railcars utilize Mitsubishi propulsion and they form the backbone of the LIRR's and Metro-North's EMU fleets, respectively. However, the reliability and overall performance of the MBTA cars will heavily depend on the systems integrator, CRRC. The propulsion system still needs to reliably communicate with the rest of the vehicle in order to function well. If CRRC's integration is garbage, then it wouldn't matter if the motors came from MELCO or Fisher-Price.

The trains' onboard computers should be able to spot & catch any abnormalities or problems long before things start to go haywire.

These cars are supposed to be even more sophisticated & in tune with the latest advancements in modern railcar technology. No use even making them if they are going to put inferior quality or crappy parts in them!

They would start breaking down sooner, leading to early & premature equipment break downs. You don't want THAT. :eek:

The 2/3 prototype* has arrived in Boston:

A mock up of a new #OrangeLine car arrived in Boston this week! #MBTA engineers will inspect before cars are manufactured in Springfield MA

https://twitter.com/MBTA/status/826445555958165504

C3gfyVsVUAItlTP.jpg

C3gfy3wUoAIM-GZ.jpg

*NOTE: THIS IS A 2/3 PROTOTYPE. OL CARS WILL HAVE 3 DOORS & RED 4.

Last edited:
Refresh my memory: both the Orange and Red will have a 3-doors per car, but the doors will now be wider?

The increased Red capacity (from 13 tph to 20 tph) was due to a mix of better braking (improved speed between stops) and shorter dwells (better loading/unloading from wider doors)?

Red will have 4 doors per side (as do the 1994-built 01800 cars, but not the older cars). Orange will have three doors per side. All doors will be wider than those currently in use.

Red will have 4 doors per side (as do the 1994-built 01800 cars, but not the older cars). Orange will have three doors per side. All doors will be wider than those currently in use.

Much wider - I think each leaf will be wide enough to fit a wheel chair on its own. BTW - anyone think there is any chance that the public will get a chance to see/go into the 2/3s mockup in person ?

And it has arrived at the OL Carhouse at Wellington:

Joe Pesaturo @JoePesaturo

Mock-up of a new #MBTA subway car is @ #orangeline maint. facility where vehicle engineers will examine it & give feedback to the car maker

https://twitter.com/JoePesaturo/status/826469262697123840

C3g0cRqUcAAh24w.jpg

C3g0f2oUEAA7VAu.jpg

Also, Joe Pesaturo says that it *WILL* be available for public viewing at some point:

@datadyne007 3m ago

@JoePesaturo Any chance it could be available for public viewing & comment? Would be good PR & lead to constructive feedback from users!

Joe Pesaturo @JoePesaturo

@datadyne007 Yes, that will happen at some point

With only 2 doors on each side, it looks like one of the Blue Line cars. But it is shorter than the planned new cars to start being made soon.

Seems like it got here sooner than a month. I hope that they allow the public to give a little input on what features that they'd like to see installed in the new cars during assembly.

It would be nice! :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks! I'd googled images of the new Reds and the renders I saw must have been more for the livery/paint because they showed the Reds with 3 doors.

Glad to re-learn that Reds will have 4 doors and even 1 leaf of a door can fit a wheelchair.

Thanks! I'd googled images of the new Reds and the renders I saw must have been more for the livery/paint because they showed the Reds with 3 doors.

Glad to re-learn that Reds will have 4 doors and even 1 leaf of a door can fit a wheelchair.

The planned mockup of the Red will probably also be shorter than the planned cars for the line, with 2 or 3 doors.

I remember when the former Silverbird aluminum cars for the Red Line were introduced, the seating layout was like THIS(link below, scroll down to pic in B&W).

http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=58865&start=240

Last edited:
That's the Wellington shops, it is in, which seems the natural place to be examined.

When it is time for a public display, might it berth on the third track at an OL station? (Requiring a fare?). Recall the Rotem mock-up was shown on Track 1 at North Station on a weekend)

Justy to be obnoxiously clear - this is a 2/3 length mockup, with ~all other dimensions at 100% scale, correct?

Justy to be obnoxiously clear - this is a 2/3 length mockup, with ~all other dimensions at 100% scale, correct?
Yes. Nobody in the media knows what "scale" means (they are wrong--or have no basis for knowing whether they are right or wrong--when they say "2/3 scale model"). As you say, this is a full-scale, 2/3 length mockup, to show how all components fit together.

Don't tell Bostonians, but NYC started this paint-the-front-black trend.

Neither the Orange, Red, Blue or the Green Line railcars had their fronts painted in black that I know of. :confused:

Back