New Red and Orange Line Cars

I like how bright these are. One of the things I don't love about the current orange line is how dim the light is, which is only compounded by the dark finishes.

That said, one of the great things about the new blue line cars is the use of a patterned laminate (kind of a boomarang pattern) Something like that would be a nice was to bring some liveliness to the car with out adding more color.

I'm really beginning to like that deep luscious orange color of the seats and the shiny shell outside accented on the bottoms by the orange paint scheme!

Note the extremely wide door where Gov. Charlie Baker is standing with his arms folded! He can get through one side of the doorway, yet he's a big tall guy! :cool:

Last edited:
Guess that they want to wait until Monday for the mockup's unveiling.

I think that it WILL be mobbed anyway, seeing it as commuters are probably just dying to see what it looks like. I wonder if picture taking of it is allowed.

Question; What will they do with the mockup once the Orange Line train production starts? Will they keep it for future changes later after the actual trains are made? They should!

Expect the Red Line mockup to look the same, except for the color (red). :cool:

Last edited:
If the red line cars have as much yellow as the orange line mock-up, I'm worried it'll feel like the red line has been renamed the McDonald's Red Line.

Well, expect it to happen. New features out today to make public transportation brighter & more ADA accessible. :cool:

Guess that they want to wait until Monday for the mockup's unveiling.

I think that it WILL be mobbed anyway, seeing it as commuters are probably just dying to see what it looks like. I wonder if picture taking of it is allowed.

Question; What will they do with the mockup once the Orange Line train production starts? Will they keep it for future changes later after the actual trains are made? They should!

Expect the Red Line mockup to look the same, except for the color (red). :cool:

Is this sarcasm? I walked by at around lunch time yesterday. A few people walked in and out, but it wasn't even remotely busy. I didn't walk through (beeline for Moyzilla), but I will eventually. I'm pretty sure you can take photos too. At least there didn't seem to be any signage or security to stop anyone.

Is this sarcasm? I walked by at around lunch time yesterday. A few people walked in and out, but it wasn't even remotely busy. I didn't walk through (beeline for Moyzilla), but I will eventually. I'm pretty sure you can take photos too. At least there didn't seem to be any signage or security to stop anyone.

Same with me, walked through and checked it out quickly during lunch. I snapped a couple cell phones pictures to send to my wife and didnt get any pushback. Grabbed one of the booklets they were handing out as well.

They look pretty nice, all I know that as a daily OL rider I cant wait for them to hit the tracks. Stating the obvious, but it is much needed.

Only difference was I hit Chicken n Rice guys right after :)

I like the new design. Is there gonna be any new features (i.e outlets)?

Just took a tour. I spoke with some people inside.

1. Why are the window signs GIGANTIC? "they want them to be seen from a distance". I suggested they take a look at what's being used on the buses. They have text just as large, but are much more compact.

2. The door openings are much much larger. Will they be push button activated to protect passengers in trains that are standing by (Oak Grove for example? "No plans for that". It's not fun to have snow blowing in your face and throughout the car in the middle of winter for 10 minutes...

3. How come only some accessible areas have flip up seats? Why can't they all? "that's the design". ok.....

1. Why are the window signs GIGANTIC? "they want them to be seen from a distance". I suggested they take a look at what's being used on the buses. They have text just as large, but are much more compact.

2. The door openings are much much larger. Will they be push button activated to protect passengers in trains that are standing by (Oak Grove for example? "No plans for that". It's not fun to have snow blowing in your face and throughout the car in the middle of winter for 10 minutes...

3. How come only some accessible areas have flip up seats? Why can't they all? "that's the design". ok.....

1 & 2 - I'm on board with you

3 - I'm sure those flip seat are more costly and easier to break. You only want to use an element like that where you need it, else you introduce unnecessary build cost and maintenance costs.

MBTA + Passenger comfort?

AHAHAHAHAHAA

If you have too many flip up seats with more room for more standees, the wait of a fully loaded car could exceed the allowable axle weight limits on sections of each line. The original specifications stated that a builder could propose as many flip up seats in the design as they wanted, as long as the weight of a fully loaded car would not exceed the limits.

EDIT: Just realized that I answered the opposite question "why aren't all the seats flip up?".

Last edited:
Don't forget that there was a game yesterday. Opening day of the Red Sox.

I went to see it then. About a couple dozen people were there to see it. I even sat in the driver's seat. It is not sarcasm.

And besides, I DID ask a rep about the mockup on what would the eventually do with it. She told me that the Orange Line mockup will be moved to the North Station for display, while the one for the Red Line will be put on display at South Station. They will be permanently on display at their new homes there. :cool:

Here are some of my photos of the mockup today.

The rollsigns really are massive:
640px-Oak_Grove_side_rollsign_on_CRRC_Orange_Line_mockup%2C_April_2017.JPG

The flip-up seats are a neat idea, but poorly executed. They flex more than I'd like, and trash is definitely going to be stuffed in the space behind them. Also, none of the seats have a lip to discourage manspreading.
640px-Flip-up_seats_on_CRRC_Orange_Line_mockup%2C_April_2017.JPG

Single flip-up seat to provide access to an equipment cabinet:
640px-Flip-up_seat_next_to_equipment_cabinet_on_CRRC_Orange_Line_mockup%2C_April_2017.JPG

Cab area. Many of the electronics do work; there's a covering on the door-close button at far right to prevent any of us gawkers from pressing it.
640px-Controls_of_CRRC_Orange_Line_mockup%2C_April_2017.jpg

I may have gotten in trouble for flipping a few of these.
640px-Circuit_breakers_on_CRRC_Orange_Line_mockup%2C_April_2017.jpg

Thanks EGE. Both your observations about the seats are major concerns. How did those pass any kind of common sense test, let alone a design review??

I spoke to an MBTA engineer about the springy-ness of the flip-up seats. He said the springs are fully adjustable and they will be optimized to close slower & smoother (right now they slam with great force leading to chipping the seat material).

Also, the seats will have a grip/anti-slip texture to them that was not on the mockup.

Thanks EGE. Both your observations about the seats are major concerns. How did those pass any kind of common sense test, let alone a design review??

I would assume that this mockup is precisely part of said design review process. And it sounds like the MBTA is on the issues per datadyne's post.

Some more pictures of the new Orange Line car taken by my co-worker.

3Y5Xs8r.jpg

s3Dgovg.jpg

uQiEtiK.jpg

vm28DkB.jpg

e7X6cyn.jpg

5JCc6an.jpg

EGZTTDp.jpg

rZbF3ou.jpg

PdVlucR.jpg

Back