New Red and Orange Line Cars

Do we know what the per-car passenger capacity of the current and new cars are?

For the new cars, it's 225 on an "A" car (cab car) and 240 on a "B" car. These numbers assume that each standing passenger occupies 1.5 square feet of space and each sitting passenger occupies 12" of knee room in front of them. I don't have any numbers for the current fleet.

Looking good!! The wave of the future!! Very futuristic, indeed!

Stephanie Pollack said that the Cabot Yard WILL be used for storage of the new Red Line rail cars when not in use. That's what I thought!

Well, they’re increasing the total number of cars by about 25%, and say they’re increasing capacity by 50%, so, it must be.

The increases are to peak capacity. They don’t need 50% more cars to run 50% more cars during rush hour.

Was that ever not the case?

There was speculation & debate as to where the new trains would be kept when & where they would be kept overnight

Bids have gone out as to where the storage yard would be. :confused:

I thought the bids were just for who would do the work on Cabot Yard I don't think there was ever a question of whether they would be stored there or not.

I thought the bids were just for who would do the work on Cabot Yard I don't think there was ever a question of whether they would be stored there or not.

Yeah, it was for the expansion of Cabot as far as I know.

It will be interesting to see if those seats ever actually get folded up.

A rider on the OL train I boarded inbound at NS said he saw one if the new trains go by outbound/Northbound. This was yesterday (Thu) at 5pm. Are the CRRC cars in revenue testing or just running unoccupied? (Or was he wrong to say he'd seen one?

They certainly do on buses with that option--I see this as a huge improvement for people with strollers and wheelchairs. Even off peak bikes or luggage.

They default to folded, unlike the buses.

A rider on the OL train I boarded inbound at NS said he saw one if the new trains go by outbound/Northbound. This was yesterday (Thu) at 5pm. Are the CRRC cars in revenue testing or just running unoccupied? (Or was he wrong to say he'd seen one?

They have been running (non-revenue testing) the pilot train on the unused track between Community & Wellington. I don't think they'd put it in the central subway during operating hours, but maybe they tried it out?

--
Edit: Also this is a cool shot! https://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comments/8m1f5s/orange_line_old_and_new/

Last edited:

I highly doubt he saw one. It would be foolish for the T to test them during rush hour on revenue service tracks because if they break down, it can cripple the entire line. There also aren't enough cars on property to make up a full train.

I highly doubt he saw one. It would be foolish for the T to test them during rush hour on revenue service tracks because if they break down, it can cripple the entire line. There also aren't enough cars on property to make up a full train.

I saw them running a two car train a little over two weeks ago.

Two cars are in Springfield, two are in Wellington. As more cars are made, they will join the ones in testing. Eventually to 6-car trainsets. :cool:

It passed while we were pulling into wellington station. Honestly not sure which track is the test track.

Back