New Red and Orange Line Cars

This is really starting to beg the question of what was the point of sinking that coin into 61 at all. Those Orange pilots will have to go back to Springfield for mods before the thing is ready to take its first test train, and the Red pilots are already here. It's clear a whole lot of the testing they said we *had* to build the 61 test track for because reasons is just going to get done slotted between regular non-revenue moves on the regular old Cabot leads...answering all the same the "Why do we need this amidst miles of existing non-revenue track?" question a lot of critics asked up-front re: the 61 plan.

Lame.

This is really starting to beg the question of what was the point of sinking that coin into 61 at all. Those Orange pilots will have to go back to Springfield for mods before the thing is ready to take its first test train, and the Red pilots are already here. It's clear a whole lot of the testing they said we *had* to build the 61 test track for because reasons is just going to get done slotted between regular non-revenue moves on the regular old Cabot leads...answering all the same the "Why do we need this amidst miles of existing non-revenue track?" question a lot of critics asked up-front re: the 61 plan.

Lame.
I'm guessing it's for when delivery is really ramping up (if it ever does) and especially as more car deliveries start to fill up more space at Cabot, until they start scrapping the old ones space is going to get tighter as deliveries continue. Plus the ability to test on the test track during revenue hours without any disturbance to revenue operations is a plus. And there's that building at the end of Track 61 that's supposed to be used for something or another if they ever manage to finish the damn thing.

Does anyone know if the door chimes are an ADA or safety requirement or would it be possible for the T to ditch them if enough people complain?

Does anyone know if the door chimes are an ADA or safety requirement or would it be possible for the T to ditch them if enough people complain?

Finally got on a new OL train this morning. Overall, a nice experience. The two things I noticed as far as criticisms are this chiming that doesn't stop as long as the doors are open (which can be a while if you're delayed), and the lip of the doorways that is slightly above the platform level. I tripped getting onto the train.

^^ I was on the train across the platform from the new train and they were annoying. I can't imagine what it is going to be like when there are two new trains sitting at the same station.

They are an accessibility requirement to help visually impaired people find the doors.

I kind of figured. We will get used to it soon enough. It's just new and unusual.

They could probably make them a tad less... Shrill and maintain the accessibility benefit. It's particularly bad at terminal stations because they stay on the entire time the train is laying over. A bit more of a pleasant beep would go a long way... Like the door open tone when I had a car and I'd left the keys in the ignition, bit more calming. (A newer car that is, had an older VW for awhile and that thing had a horrendous door chime)

They are an accessibility requirement to help visually impaired people find the doors.
There is also a requirement that they not be able to be heard a certain distance away from the door so that someone with a hearing impairment isn't confused. I wonder if there is more tweaking do to.

To laugh or to cry
EJsJPOuWwAMuIlk

Yep the shiny new train went off the tracks today. Non-revenue, inside yard boundaries, nothing that groundbreaking but not great all the same. And truly terrible PR day.

Supposedly, a bad track switch that is due to be replaced might have been the culprit. That is a damn shame using children for labor! The shocking part is that the kids aren't in school.:(

No Orange Line trains have been seen since the yard derailment. I understand that they'd want to monitor and inspect the derailed train, but what about the other one? If the problem was truly the switch, then that shouldn't stop the second train from remaining in service, no?

No Orange Line trains have been seen since the yard derailment. I understand that they'd want to monitor and inspect the derailed train, but what about the other one? If the problem was truly the switch, then that shouldn't stop the second train from remaining in service, no?
Warranty fine print. Until service milestones are passed the inspection standards require the onsite techs to do parts inspections of everything that could possibly be an issue. Real-world it means nothing consequential. The contract mandates casting a wider net, even in cases where they know ahead of time that's probably going to be overkill.

Why the hell do they just keep on doing that?! It's nothing but a tease! They keep bringing the new trains back & then they are yanked out of service again because of something else gone wrong.

I had hoped to be able to ride on one of the new trains yesterday from State Street, but all that kept on coming were those old rust buckets. I never even saw a new train! Finally, I just gave up & came home. No wonder a new train never came. They were yanked off again. They should 've checked them out thoroughly before putting them into service. Makes people think that they are playing games. :mad:

Why the hell do they just keep on doing that?! It's nothing but a tease! They keep bringing the new trains back & then they are yanked out of service again because of something else gone wrong.

I had hoped to be able to ride on one of the new trains yesterday from State Street, but all that kept on coming were those old rust buckets. I never even saw a new train! Finally, I just gave up & came home. No wonder a new train never came. They were yanked off again. They should 've checked them out thoroughly before putting them into service. Makes people think that they are playing games. :mad:

Yes. They are playing games. SOLELY to torment you: Jahvon09. Torment you by giving you nothing but rustbuckets when you want shiny things.

Jesus Christ, this isn't a race. You want a product that works??? They're going to check the fucking thing in absolute mind-numbing detail during the rollout until the contract tells them they can send the techs home sometime next year. Just as (for the 4927th mention) they did for every car order in history prior and will do for every car order until they end of time.

But yes, cry moar about how they are playing games specifically with your head by ensuring that the product conforms to warranty.😭

Back