New Red and Orange Line Cars

And speaking of the new Type 10's, (this is just a rendering of one) I wonder how they'll do when the first one is delivered & set up for service. Hopefully better than the CRRC cars. But I think they'll need some tweaking to perform right. :unsure:
View attachment 33002
The Type 10 is a much more off-the-shelf design. Given the attrition rate of the Type 8s and lack of rebuild, I am concerned that if there are similar teething issues with the Type 10 we could have a car shortage on Green.

Last edited:
I have a hard time seeing another manufacturer wanting to take over for a failed CRRC MA. They'd rather sell their own product (be that a revamped 0700 for Orange or a clean-sheet design). Trying to pick up the pieces without any support from CRRC HQ would be an exercise in futility.

I think this is the most likely outcome. CRRC sells their US operations to some other manufacturer for pennies and becomes a vendor for whatever components they were making (carbodies, etc.). CRRC saves their reputation for re-entry if they ever want to.

The order was also structured to be a marketing exercise, which did work (they got other, bigger US orders), but now it's useless because they realize they can't sell any more product into the US market. At some point it makes business sense to just cut losses and walk away.
Except exemptions in the no Chinese policy for present customers should have lead

Except exemptions in the no Chinese policy for present customers should have lead
To a better effort so as to position them for the numerous EMU orders you could anticipate over the next 15 years. That's a long time for a trade war.

The MBTA is feuding with CRRC MA over the constantly repeated delays in getting the new Red & Orange Line cars made & delivered. It is charging them $500 a day for each railcar that's being delayed. I suspect that this snafu could lead to the T suing CRRC. It needs the new railcars in order to be able to retire decades-old equipment that must soon go. o_O

Caught my eye at Park St. shiny bright and new! (Just doesn’t always work as it should).

DD681D6B-6D9C-4F34-8E80-7BD4DC941916.jpeg
C5A053E1-2BB8-4896-BF89-B880228DD508.jpeg
6B675B5C-2DFE-4E36-869B-975515F3E273.jpeg
2B0BB6A7-6307-4D8D-B83D-B1E9439F1E2D.jpeg
E2CDAAFF-AF94-451C-84C9-6B1B866E5379.jpeg

Maybe it's just because I don't see them as often, but I think the new Red Line trains are a bit sharper than the Orange Line trains.

I do appreciate the MBTA's commitment to history, though. My northbound (new) OL train had a broken door yesterday requiring everyone to squeeze in and out through a narrow opening. Just like the old days!

Maybe it's just because I don't see them as often, but I think the new Red Line trains are a bit sharper than the Orange Line trains.

I do appreciate the MBTA's commitment to history, though. My northbound (new) OL train had a broken door yesterday requiring everyone to squeeze in and out through a narrow opening. Just like the old days!
At least the new broken doors are wider than the old broken doors. Be thankful for small improvements.

The sides of the new raircars remind me of the sides of the Old Bluebird railcars before they were repainted in Red & white. And BTW, these cars were given these colors to represent the colors from the seal of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Next to it is one of the former Silverbird cars. :)
Old Blue Bird car..jpg

Last edited:
Report on some of the issues with OL cars: WCVBvisMSN

AA16wO6s.img

The T has had so many problems with the new trains, not to mention them being delayed so many times from deliveries. The ridiculous & frivolous setbacks & yanking's off the tracks have gone on for far too long. Month after month, year after year. One wonders when will this stop & the trains start finally working like they are supposed to. They have just been much too problematic. :unsure:

Last edited:
Report on some of the issues with OL cars: WCVBvisMSN

AA16wO6s.img

Meanwhile, interim general manager Jeff Gonneville indicated on Thursday that he and the MBTA are preparing to take a hard look at the authority's relationship with CRRC.
"The T is in a position, along with our customers, where we need good quality vehicles in Boston. And we’re treating this and other issues with these cars, as well as ways to get productivity and vehicles being delivered to us, very seriously," Gonneville said.

Gonneville said he intended to deliver a report about CRRC to the full MBTA Board of Directors at their upcoming meeting, which is scheduled for Jan. 26.

Puts the interim GM in a unique decision making/recommendation-making spot.

Went to south station for first time in many months and saw the escalator was still broken. I’m pretty sure it’s been broken since before the pandemic. I remarked to my wife that it’s “historical” and that’s why it’s never been fixed… “the longest continuously broken escalator in America” yay Boston

Went to south station for first time in many months and saw the escalator was still broken. I’m pretty sure it’s been broken since before the pandemic. I remarked to my wife that it’s “historical” and that’s why it’s never been fixed… “the longest continuously broken escalator in America” yay Boston
I think the Broadway escalator must be tied with this one for the title

Reactions: FK4
I've heard over the weekend that ALL of the new Orange Line vehicles are repaired & back into service. They will now be inspected every week to try to ward off any new problems. :unsure:

Last edited:
Except that the Old Bluebirds didn't have the curved bottoms. They were straight.

The #5 cars absolutely had an inward curve at the base of the side walls near the floor, similar to the #1-2 Red Line cars. It's less pronounced than the 'bowed' effect visible on the #3 (01800) cars. To my eye the new #4 cars shape looks more like the Bombardier #3s than the old Bluebirds (pity, those had a nice look to them).

Back