North Bank Bridge Pedestrian Walkway

Here's my favorite of the batch. So many bridges visible from one spot!

7578279012_d29970cf6b_z.jpg

Went for a jog through across the bridge Saturday morning. It's funny, between the Revere Park and the North Point Park, there's actually a ton of space down there. And it's actually really pleasant considering an interstate runs through it. You don't really hear the traffic either.

UG -- being a plutonic -- You might really appreciate the very poorly advertised interssting space underneath the South approaches to the Zakim BH. I took a walk over the North Bank Bridge on Sunday and then crossed the Dam and tun right and you are in a mostly concrete and asphault space with a small lawn next to the parking lot behind North Station.

This additional new space (similar in layout to the extension to Paul Revere Park) is also contiguous with the pedestrian pier that sticks out into the River. Walk out to the end of the pier and you stand real close to the downstream railroad bridge. It's very stimulating to see the descending bridge pass a meter or so from where you are standing!

By the way to the photogs -- some great picture possiblities from the pier and under the Zakim on the south side

Thanks!

In fact, I was using a point-and-shoot for these shots, a PowerShot G11.

Saul -- I can stick the lens of the GE through the space or if you are somewhat dexterous you can slide the camera through when the lens in retracted and then turn it on and shoot -- nailed the Downeaster barreling {??} through the Bridge in that way

Saul -- I can stick the lens of the GE through the space or if you are somewhat dexterous you can slide the camera through when the lens in retracted and then turn it on and shoot -- nailed the Downeaster barreling {??} through the Bridge in that way

That's exactly what I did Saturday, with my point-and-shoot. The G11 also has a swivel LCD, so if you brought along a step stool, you could hold the camera over the fence and shoot.

Every time I'm in Revere Park people have their dogs off their leashes. Does anyone know if that's an informal thing or does the park have some kind of "dog park" status?

I understand it is an unofficial off leash area that is most active on Friday evenings. My wife told me Durty Harry's, a local pet groomer, hosts a Friday event. Free water and tons of people. It is advertised as "off leash" by a lot of sites. http://charlestown.patch.com/listings/paul-revere-park-2

On a related note, is there any word on the Beverly St dead end on the south side of the dam? Will this somehow be incorporated into the final pedestrian low from Spaulding over the future rail tracks bridge?

UG -- being a plutonic -- You might really appreciate the very poorly advertised interssting space underneath the South approaches to the Zakim BH. I took a walk over the North Bank Bridge on Sunday and then crossed the Dam and tun right and you are in a mostly concrete and asphault space with a small lawn next to the parking lot behind North Station.

Can you walk from here to the east entrance of the TD Garden? When I tried to do this a couple weeks ago, a construction fence blocked the way.

This additional new space (similar in layout to the extension to Paul Revere Park) is also contiguous with the pedestrian pier that sticks out into the River. Walk out to the end of the pier and you stand real close to the downstream railroad bridge. It's very stimulating to see the descending bridge pass a meter or so from where you are standing!

I'm curious why this was built, since any future pedestrian bridge across the Charles will be on the upstream side, not this side.

Can you walk from here to the east entrance of the TD Garden? When I tried to do this a couple weeks ago, a construction fence blocked the way.

Walk over the Tip O'Neil's tunnel portal (Bullfinch Park) and the walk to the Charles River dam and cross there.

At this time, you can't go under the Zakim on the south bank of the Charles.

Last time I went there, you could go under the Zakim just fine (starting at the dam), but could not continue to the TD Garden.

Ron,

I was there last night. No longer any fencing blocking access under the Zakim south side, and yes you can now access the Garden from this point. Not sure if this is a permanently accessible new "park." A lot of folks gave me odd looks as I explored it. An old No Trespassing sign is still affixed to wall near the Zakim underpass, but a state trooper in a patrol boat gave me no mind as I wandered about so I think that sign may be a hold-over from construction. Very, very weird space. Forget skateboarders on the North Bank Bridge (which I have not yet seen!), this area will be tagged with graffiti before the summer is over. Nothing to deter it but a half dozen state police cruisers parked a few feet away.

I don't recall any final draft of where the South Bank pedestrian bridge will be in this space. Was that finalized?

...many pictures...I'm in love with this thing...I want to marry it.

The walkway dumps you into a veritable Eden.

Not a bad spot for pagan sacrifices if any of you are into that sort of thing.

This little river is awesome.

I'm going to have to get over here. None of this makes any visual sense to me - over, under, curvy, twisty, rails, highways, I can't grasp it.

Wow looks like a freaking roller coaster ride. Pretty awesome.

+1. I feel like I just woke up in a Dr. Seuss book.

YES -- BY All Means

SEE It -- I've yet to see it at night when the LED's come out to play

Walk It

Feel it move under you -- (it vibrates interstingly when the train tracks are busy)

Hear it (the sounds of traffic on roads, water and rails all mingle)

By all means Appreciate It

It really is transformational and will really make the North Point an extension of Paul Revere Park

It's impact on the pedestrian / bike routing in the area reminds me of the Millenium Bridge across the Thames in London and the Double Helix Bridge next to the Marina Bay Sands in Singapore

Just Go and enjoy!

PS: still have not seen any up-to-date renders of the companion bridges

Ledjes, great pics and loved your commentary!! The light fixtures, so unworldly, so unBostonlike, and yes, so Dr.Seusslike!! Simply amazing!! Looks like this was one of those things where the wait was well worth it! Hope the other bridges are as fun!!

Ledjes, great pics and loved your commentary!! The light fixtures, so unworldly, so unBostonlike, and yes, so Dr.Seusslike!! Simply amazing!! Looks like this was one of those things where the wait was well worth it! Hope the other bridges are as fun!!

Atlanta -- this was done well although some of the details might get missed by most folks

The path along the Millers Rivers has numbers carved into the walkway -- there is one place where you can find out that the numbers were the original water depths when there was real commerce on the Millers River

The Northpoint Park and Paul Revere Parks now linked are another potential Esplanade minus the Hatch Shell. The Bridge (I'm sure someone's name is there either now or soon) is the piece de resistance of this entire area.

Still to come apparently in addition to the skate park is a group of tennis courts to be built by the EF folks who seem deeply committed to "Their Park"

img2012071700495.jpg

What was that other bridge ever built for? It still dead ends at tracks

img2012071700495.jpg

What was that other bridge ever built for? It still dead ends at tracks

Jass -- that's the way Northpoint will be connected to Nashua Street Park

The Charles will be crossed by a pedestrian bridge built right next to the Bascule Railroad Bridge (to be rebuilt)

No renders exist for that bridge in its current new incarnation

Bos -- when I spoke with Karl Haugland he said that the southbank bridge was close to being ready for final design -- I suspect that the exact footprint is still to be determined

He also said the DCR now has a MOU with DOT that when the Bascule Railroad Bridge is rebuilt that the bridge crossing the Charles (e.g. Northpoint Park to Nashua St. Park) will be grafted onto the rebuilt railroad bridge

Back