North End | Downtown Small Infill Projects

I don't understand what the drama is all about. This new building is absolutely in keeping with, and 100% respectful of, the overall North End aesthetic -- blends in like it's been there since 1908!

Looks like a change to the Coast Guard Base is in the works. Article from the Hub site.
Ground has been broken on the Coast Guard expansion

Idk where else to put this

“In an effort to revitalize and reoccupy the existing building, Oxford proposes to change the use of approximately 155,000 square feet of the existing commercial space to allow for its use as either life science/R&D, office, or both uses. Importantly, overall Gross Floor Area (“GFA”) will not increase and no significant alterations to the building exterior, envelope or site plan are proposed as part of this change of use.”
1650235081135.png

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/745-atlantic-avenue

I used to work in that building... I just remember the elevators being really slow. Oh and the huge bathroom deficit for ratio of men : women in the building considering it was like 90% tech companies operating inside WeWork spaces.

Ground has been broken on the Coast Guard expansion
Looks like work has begun.
IMG_7571 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7579 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr
IMG_7575 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Residents Hear From New Boston Planning and Development Agency Director
https://beaconhilltimes.com/2022/11/30/residents-hear-from-new-boston-planning-and-development-agency-director/

Just when you start to think NIMBY attitudes might be changing, you come across articles like this which definitely challenge that assumption. If density is not your thing, why would you choose to live in the North End?'

Excerpt --

One resident mentioned that commercial development in the North End seems to be focused on only more restaurants and less on small businesses that provide services, such as a shoe cobbler.

Diane Valle of Charlestown noted that the master planning process in communities such as Charlestown is not going well, a comment that came as a surprise to Jemison.

During the meeting it was pointed out that Maverick Square in East Boston has more density than the North End, a fact that surprised some in attendance, who suggested that density in the No. End is too high.

One resident noted that developers are trying to get a 700-foot tower built in the Bulfinch Triangle where the zoning only allows for a 100- foot height limit.

This prompted another resident to ask, “Does zoning mean anything?”

Residents Hear From New Boston Planning and Development Agency Director
https://beaconhilltimes.com/2022/11/30/residents-hear-from-new-boston-planning-and-development-agency-director/

Just when you start to think NIMBY attitudes might be changing, you come across articles like this which definitely challenge that assumption. If density is not your thing, why would you choose to live in the North End?'

Excerpt --

One resident mentioned that commercial development in the North End seems to be focused on only more restaurants and less on small businesses that provide services, such as a shoe cobbler.

Diane Valle of Charlestown noted that the master planning process in communities such as Charlestown is not going well, a comment that came as a surprise to Jemison.

During the meeting it was pointed out that Maverick Square in East Boston has more density than the North End, a fact that surprised some in attendance, who suggested that density in the No. End is too high.

One resident noted that developers are trying to get a 700-foot tower built in the Bulfinch Triangle where the zoning only allows for a 100- foot height limit.

This prompted another resident to ask, “Does zoning mean anything?”

Elderly neighbors are NEVER going to see beyond their selfish motivations and their mountainous fear of change and just about everything else in the world. The goal needs to be not about changing their minds but eliminating their power.

Elderly neighbors are NEVER going to see beyond their selfish motivations and their mountainous fear of change and just about everything else in the world. The goal needs to be not about changing their minds but eliminating their power.

Agreed, unfortunately they’re the loudest and only ones in the room most of the time. I don’t care how much I like/dislike a project I'm not showing up to a planning session lol.

NIMBY attitudes are never going to change, but hopefully it's starting to become crystal clear to Jemison that you cannot engage in a good faith planning process with people who are fundamentally opposed to development, even if it is affordable.

That was disappointing. No new development project in the North End?

International Place, a mainstay of the Financial District, to get a $100 million new look
1673545204883.jpeg

1673545228104.jpeg

1673545246235.jpeg

For decades, the striking 55-foot atrium at International Place, with water pouring down from a glassed-in domed ceiling, has been a singular feature in downtown Boston’s office scene. The scene of countless coffee meetings. The place to bump into developer Don Chiofaro, whose eponymous firm built what is the Financial District’s largest office complex and still runs it today.

But a big change is in the works.

As soon as this month, Chiofaro plans to launch a $100 million re-do of public spaces at the two-tower, 1.8 million-square-foot downtown office complex. The investment will cover refreshed lobbies and entrances for both One and Two International Place, which were completed in 1987 and 1992, respectively.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/01...an-old-standby-downtown-bostons-office-scene/

International Place, a mainstay of the Financial District, to get a $100 million new look
View attachment 32911

View attachment 32912
View attachment 32913

For decades, the striking 55-foot atrium at International Place, with water pouring down from a glassed-in domed ceiling, has been a singular feature in downtown Boston’s office scene. The scene of countless coffee meetings. The place to bump into developer Don Chiofaro, whose eponymous firm built what is the Financial District’s largest office complex and still runs it today.

But a big change is in the works.

As soon as this month, Chiofaro plans to launch a $100 million re-do of public spaces at the two-tower, 1.8 million-square-foot downtown office complex. The investment will cover refreshed lobbies and entrances for both One and Two International Place, which were completed in 1987 and 1992, respectively.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/01...an-old-standby-downtown-bostons-office-scene/

Dear Lord, is that white PVC in that first pic - - of the “lobby”? Don, please don’t give us a Courtyard by Marriott! Jeebus, will there be an Olive Garden or an Applebees in there?

Dear Lord, is that white PVC in that first pic - - of the “lobby”? Don, please don’t give us a Courtyard by Marriott! Jeebus, will there be an Olive Garden or an Applebees in there?
The rotunda structure currently exists as shown in the rendering, including the rain feature in the middle. I think they just want to fill in the central court with green because the building is empty of workers. It was just a couple years ago you couldn't get a seat in there for lunch. And it's not like the newer developments are taking away companies/ workers. I know two people that work in the seaport (late 20s-30s) and one in assembly (60ish); they still work from home. I'm not surprised that someone wants to change the Italian marble either, it's to lavish these days. I hope someone takes it and stores it though. It will come back in 20 or 30 years. And that bar has always been too small for the first floor. A large first floor space; the bar should be 100' long along the windows, with people sitting at the bar facing the windows, not a wall with one or two TVs. The bar layout in the rendering looks like the current layout. I was surprised when it opened as a Palms restaurant? That establishment was a greatest generation/early boomer bar-restaurant from back the (black and white TV) days. I don't think anyone got it. Come to think of it, just get rid of the bar. Put in a Tesla showroom (with a speakeasy bar).
ip.png

Last edited:

Back