Northeastern eyes dorms

DudeUrSistersHot said:
am i the only one that doesnt think this is that bad looking?

I don't think it's as bad as some others are making it out to be, but I still don't find it attractive. And the unfortunate thing is that this look is not specific to this one building. Rather, it has become the defacto style that is applied to all lamely designed projects that are to be completed within the next 5 years. D'oh!

That street is and will continue to be a windswept wasteland.

czsz said:

Indeed...This would still be true if you packed up an entire block of Hanover Street and planted it in this location...Sad to say, but this location stopped being part of a "neighborhood" when they clear-cut it for the Inner-Belt...

... all that is true, but it doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

Something's going on. It looked like they were moving utility lines..?

Same site as above - they were busy driving sheet piles in when I drove by yesterday (hence the crappy picture)

I hope they put up a rendering of the building soon, and I also hope it looks different :)

img2540tm8.jpg

img2543tr2.jpg

new NU dorm complex

Additional images from the architect's website:

http://kswa.com/portfolio/NEUP18/index.htm

"Contextual to its surroundings" I would not describe this as. Only from one of those angles do I like the design. Its projects like these that create understanable NIMBY objections from campus neighbors; a more mixed-use village context design could have been better here I think.
Sorta looks like a prison, "appropriate" I guess being next to the police station.... :?

This is a huge development. It reminds me of a similar monstrosity on soldiers field road owned by Harvard crossed with the Ghery show at MIT.

I thikn I spy more beige precast!!!!! well, more off-white than anything but you know

Sort of looks like a budget version of One Western Ave. However, this stretch of Columbus Ave is so absolutely dismal that I think this may be a welcome improvement.

czsz said:
^ Now that's pessimism.

Are you paying attention, Waldorf?

And here's some more (from someone who often eschews it, to be fair):

Beton Brut said:
Indeed...This would still be true if you packed up an entire block of Hanover Street and planted it in this location...Sad to say, but this location stopped being part of a "neighborhood" when they clear-cut it for the Inner-Belt...

I say: "Bring on Hanover Street!"

Pessimism must be a branch of realism.

I'm glad to see Northeastern Building in this area. In general Northeastern is doing a lot of work to improve and expand there campus.

However, I had always hoped that this parcel would be used as part of a traffic improvement project to align Ruggles street with Melina Cass Blvd. Today this area is a traffic mess and with more development it will only get worse.

And the building does look like the one in Cambridge, but there are two.

I wonder why the smaller mixed-use building fronting on Columbus has yet to see its site get excavated.. would a five story structure of that size be built with no basement? Or is this perhaps construction logistics requiring that that area gets dug out last? Or could NU be holding off on building it?

Ugh... can't wait for that wall of glass. You can put retail on the first floor but when you make the entire block one wall you are defeating the purpose.

^ A blockbuster, for sure.

Didn't the NIMBYs notice?

Oh ... they only look at height.

If the building were taller you could put it on less land.

Back