Northeastern eyes dorms

Yeah, this building is massive both in depth and height. Oh well, still better than a parking lot AND the projects.

Wow I didn't realize how big this site really was.
The towers seem really tall for that area.

Being a fan modernism (including the more brutal styles), I almost never say this, but this proposal looks downright Stalinist...I hope they change the design, to make it less, you know, prison-like.

I park inside the parking garage right next door very often, and I have been getting a good bird's eye view of the project. They have already done significant excavation on the site, and I believe that it won't be too long before they start going vertical.

It'll take more than just a crown (a la 111 Huntington) to make this project look beautiful. I still can't believe that this monstrosity can come from the same institution that created west village. But what can we do...

Looking at that aerial picture of NEU campus, I was wondering, what's inside the arcade at Ruggles station? If NEU is looking to continue to expand on the south side of the tracks, it seems more than obvious to try to evolve that space into a connector between the two sides. I was thinking they should line it with food places and shops that cater to the college crowd. This would bring the two sides of campus closer together, make the campus and station safer, and possibly eliminate some of the stigma associated with the orange line.

at a meeting about 2-3 years ago, the Vice President of Development or something of NU was talking about the potential of buying air rights over the tracks from the MBTA. I don't think the MBTA wanted to do this, but the Vice President seemed to think that they would come around because of their budget woes they were experiencing.

The biggest problem with building there would be that NU built the rest of its campus assuming that the tracks would not be built on, so (you will notice with the pictures) the backs of the buildings are facing the wall separating the campus from the train tracks, and the tracks are really shut off from the rest of the campus.

But there must be ways around it.

There is a Dunkin Donuts and a 7/11 quickie mart called Nubian Notion in that Arcade, the rest is a open corridor overlooking the lower busway with some historic plaques in the middle. It's a potentially beautiful space that was never developed enough and the finishes permitted by the budget left a lot to be desired.

Ruggles Square is being done by Kim Sung Woo, who did Building D & E at Northeastern with William Rawn. Bill has nothing to do with Ruggles Square now. To be honest I don't think highly of either man due to their tendency to design shell buildings and extremely sloppy interiors whenever an area isn't showpiece. The interior H in the academic portion vs. what I could see of the dormitory lobby and many of the spaces in building D, Berahkis is it?, exhibit what I'm talking about. I've been told the ceilings in buildings A-C having access panels all over the place like a bad case of acne, which is indicative of poor coordination with the engineers or insufficient time in design development.

The little red brick building will be replaced by a 22 story student housing building some time in the next 3-5 years

img3293kh7.jpg

Of the three buildings on the left side of that picture. The little red one should be the last on to be replaced. :?

Sorry, not the best angle, but I was in a hurry

img7402kv8.jpg

two more shots from yesterday, these are from the northern end of the site

looking east.. check out the clounds in these shots!

img7946ix5.jpg

and south

img7948kq0.jpg

Looks like it is progressing pretty quickly. I love how all the colleges actually get work done and always are on top of things, and then the city and private groups take years just to get something beginning, and then when they finally start construction it seems they go slowly.
Anyways, thanks for the pics kz, your pictures are a blessing lol This site would be a mess without you here

This building is SO ugly compared to the other newest buildings from the University. What was the architect thinking! :?

Caught sight of these from Columbus Ave today.
20070902-023S.jpg

From about a week ago, as they were building the 2nd crane with the first one.

DSC_3848.jpg

img0160ov0.jpg

this is the backside

img0161mg7.jpg

and the frontside (facing Columbus Ave)

img0168rn1.jpg

It's time for someone to grab a camera and take a few new shots of this project. The steel is up to about the 10th floor as of today.

I'm patiently waiting for the day when Northeastern annexes Roxbury.

Back