Northeastern University - Institutional Master Plan

You got my hopes up with the length of that list. Unfortunately it seems most of them fail on the beer half of pizza and beer, and some are a bit of a walk.

I have no specific love for Punter's besides preferring dives. Particularly ones that turn the music off when the B's are playing. Cheap pizza through the wall is a plus. I go there after class because it's quick so I don't miss much, and a quick walk back to the train.

I'm a huge fan of Uno's pizza, but don't always want to pay for it, and the hockey may not be on or with volume.

I need to check out Conor's however, thank you for that. It seems to me the bars are lacking for the student population.

When are they are going to start fooling the public and show the plans that include the football stadium, where the field hockey field is located. And present how they never really got rid football, they just needed a break to re-group.

Myself and many other NU students know there are no plans for a football field or a rebirth of the football program. Northeastern is focusing on improving academics and standing. There are no rumblings anywhere of football making a return, or the whole campus would be talking about it- trust me.

Il Mondo
BHOP
Woody's
New York Pizza
Cappy's
Cappy's II
Sweet Tomato's
Crazy Dough
Little Steve's House of Pizza
Uno's
Conor's

I think you'll survive.

Man.. Cappy's II made a hell of a pie.. back in 2002. Gotta check that out again.

And regarding that mega-block bound by Parker, Huntington, & Ruggles/Louis Prang Streets, NU & Wentworth do have plans for it. Wentworth will soon be relocating its athletic field down campus to where their parking lot currently is, freeing up the majority of the site for R&D space along with additional academic facilities.

Might I add that this currently includes a 19-story tower along Parker as part of the Wentworth R&D Innovation Center:

264041w.png

WIT IMP Amendment - "Project F" - 2012

When are they are going to start fooling the public and show the plans that include the football stadium, where the field hockey field is located. And present how they never really got rid football, they just needed a break to re-group.

If only this was true. Problem is, the field hockey field belongs to Wentworth. But yes I would love to have a small football stadium built. If only Cabot had a large enough footprint to hold a stadium. The location would make more sense than the Ruggles Parking Lot as it's further away from residential houses and thus the affected area of noise pollution would be smaller.

Actually would this be possible?

If only this was true. Problem is, the field hockey field belongs to Wentworth. But yes I would love to have a small football stadium built. If only Cabot had a large enough footprint to hold a stadium. The location would make more sense than the Ruggles Parking Lot as it's further away from residential houses and thus the affected area of noise pollution would be smaller.

Actually would this be possible?

You're joking, right? A football stadium located where Cabot is today would be the least efficient, poorest use of space on the campus. Maybe 10 home games a year, a couple graduations, and some soccer/rugby games. What do you do with the stadium the 250-300 days of the year it's empty?!

Any football stadium on our campus would be an inefficient use of space. Something NU does a lot better than most other universities is getting the maximum use out of all its facilities. I'm talking about classrooms being occupied more hours of the day than unoccupied, our few athletic facilities available round the clock for club/varsity/intramural athletic teams to use, and even parking spaces occupied day and night by either faculty or student residents that commute to co-op.

The master plan is on the right track: an additional 2,000,000+ square feet of academic and research space in the next decade, more than 1,000 beds in new residence halls, redeveloping the Cabot site for more cultural/academic uses, and concentrating all athletic programs in state-of-the-art facilities in an athletic village surrounding Matthews Arena.

Myself and many other NU students know there are no plans for a football field or a rebirth of the football program. Northeastern is focusing on improving academics and standing. There are no rumblings anywhere of football making a return, or the whole campus would be talking about it- trust me.

Thanks for the Downburst!

You're joking, right? A football stadium located where Cabot is today would be the least efficient, poorest use of space on the campus. Maybe 10 home games a year, a couple graduations, and some soccer/rugby games. What do you do with the stadium the 250-300 days of the year it's empty?!

Any football stadium on our campus would be an inefficient use of space. Something NU does a lot better than most other universities is getting the maximum use out of all its facilities. I'm talking about classrooms being occupied more hours of the day than unoccupied, our few athletic facilities available round the clock for club/varsity/intramural athletic teams to use, and even parking spaces occupied day and night by either faculty or student residents that commute to co-op.

The master plan is on the right track: an additional 2,000,000+ square feet of academic and research space in the next decade, more than 1,000 beds in new residence halls, redeveloping the Cabot site for more cultural/academic uses, and concentrating all athletic programs in state-of-the-art facilities in an athletic village surrounding Matthews Arena.

There's also field hockey. Regardless, there's absolutely no problem about having a stadium on campus. Many schools with high academic standings have stadiums on campus. One only needs to look at Boston College as an example.

The only way I'd think a football stadium at NU would be viable is if BU also restarted its program and shared the facility, perhaps even with the Revs if their North Shore sites don't work out for whatever reason. Of course, to be equidistant, it would have to be built on air rights over the Pike near Kenmore Square, but a boy can dream...

http://huntnewsnu.com/2012/10/university-buys-hastings-wing/

University buys Hastings Wing
By Anne Steele, News Staff

Mayor Thomas M. Menino announced Wednesday that Northeastern purchased 320 Huntington Ave. from the Greater Boston YMCA, and signed a 20-year lease allowing 67 units of transitional housing to continue to operate in the Hastings Wing of the building.

Vice President for City and Community Affairs John Tobin said the original plan for the YMCA dorm construction project included a provision for third-party developer Phoenix Properties to purchase the Hastings Wing, but during negotiations Northeastern decided to buy the wing to show a commitment to neighbors.

“Some people were saying the university would fulfill its commitment to the city then bail out of the dorm, but this shows a commitment,” Tobin said.

In addition to housing nonprofits, university dorms and classrooms, the Hastings Wings quarters 67 beds over two floors, which are part of the Cardinal Medeiros Program for men transitioning from homelessness to permanent housing.

Tobin said the purchase guarantees the preservation of these units.

“We worked with city to come up with an arrangement to make sure those beds are protected,” he said.

The partnership, assisted by Menino, “furthers the City’s plan to end homelessness by preserving housing opportunities in Boston while also recognizing the need for Northeastern University’s continued growth,” according to a press release from the mayor’s office.

“I applaud Northeastern University for working with us to preserve 67 units of transitional housing in Boston’s Fenway neighborhood,” Menino said in the statement. “I am pleased that the 20-year lease will allow Cardinal Medeiros Program to continue to provide services to the some of our most vulnerable citizens in the Hastings Wing of the building.”

This new collaboration also addresses housing and homelessness in the Fenway neighborhood, which Massachusetts Housing and Shelter Alliance (MHSA) President and Executive Director Joe Finn said the organization is pleased to have the mayor’s support on.

“We welcome this new partnership with Northeastern University and look forward to continuing to provide these critical services in the Hastings Wing,” he said in the statement.

Northeastern President Joseph E. Aoun praised the mayor’s support and guidance through the process.

“At Northeastern, partnering with the community and our neighbors is part of our character as an institution,” he said in the statement. “Once again, the mayor has played a key role in strengthening the fabric of our city.”

Despite controversy over the construction of university dorms behind the YMCA building, Tobin said he thinks the city is more comfortable with Northeastern buying the wing rather than a for-profit company.

“They know who we are, they trust us,” Tobin said. “As far as it relating to our growth with the Y building, I think it’s an important step to making that happen.”

But Joyce Foster, a 12-year Fenway resident and a Fenway Community Development Corporation (CDC) board member, voiced concern over the seeming lack of community input. Foster had not heard of the sale before a reporter called Wednesday night, and she said she did not feel comfortable commenting on the specifics of the plan.

“One of the things that disturbs me is that an agreement has been made without any advance information,” she said. “The community in the Fenway feels strongly about anything that happens here and we want the university to come to us before these kinds of negotiations and that didn’t happen. I find that disturbing and troublesome.”

Tobin stressed that there is currently no plan to do anything new with the Hastings Wing.

“Down the road, if it comes to pass, it will be Northeastern’s responsibility to make sure that [transitional housing] program is still in place somewhere in the Fenway neighborhood,” he said.

He also said the university is proud of the negotiation.

“This really happened between President Aoun and Mayor Menino and both gentlemen instructed their teams to get the deal done,” he said. “It’s good for both organizations and it’s really a total win for MHSA. I think it was a good idea to buy it outright to show our commitment to project for the long term,” he said, pointing out that Northeastern already has a presence – and a long history – in the building.

“Northeastern was born literally out of the YMCA basement so this relationship goes back to 1898 and I don’t think anyone is looking to ruin 114 years of good relationships. I think that was the main motivation,” he said.

There's also field hockey. Regardless, there's absolutely no problem about having a stadium on campus. Many schools with high academic standings have stadiums on campus. One only needs to look at Boston College as an example.

Yes, but those schools aren't confined to 73 acres surrounded by a hostile community that would have a fit if Northeastern tried to expand its footprint.

I love how the Mayor "announces" things when he's not even in our country.

I'm a mixed bag on this one. I laud the effort to keep the program but to have transitional housing so close to students, especially students that will one day live here, can be seen as a problem for any future students that have to pay the cost of dorming and live in a location where their safety can be compromised. A better solution would have been to find a place to relocate the transitional housing.

Of course with the outspoken community, that wouldn't be possible (since they themselves would object the idea of having to live close to these former homeless men). All in all, the losers are the incoming students.

Goodness, campus is going to get dense... and tall! The majority of the planned developments have the potential for at least 10 stories, with the tallest being up to 25 stories where Burstein and Rubenstein are located on Huntington Avenue. That's easily taller than West Village G,m and might be taller than the MassArt dorm.

As a current student I'm rather put out I won't be able to enjoy this....

Goodness, campus is going to get dense... and tall! The majority of the planned developments have the potential for at least 10 stories, with the tallest being up to 25 stories where Burstein and Rubenstein are located on Huntington Avenue. That's easily taller than West Village G,m and might be taller than the MassArt dorm.

As a current student I'm rather put out I won't be able to enjoy this....

This

We can always fork over another 200k and get another undergraduate degree right?

Now, all Northeastern has to do is find the $$$$ to build all this.

If only half of this plan is realized in the next decade, it will be a great accomplishment. The Matthews addition, the Gainsborough Garage site, Cabot site and Columbus quad projects should get priority. Oh, and please demolish that dreadful Forsyth Building! It was a dump when I was a student 40 years ago and is an eyesore in the middle of the campus today.

Thanks dshoost88 for posting the link.

Now, all Northeastern has to do is find the $$$$ to build all this.

If only half of this plan is realized in the next decade, it will be a great accomplishment. The Matthews addition, the Gainsborough Garage site, Cabot site and Columbus quad projects should get priority. Oh, and please demolish that dreadful Forsyth Building! It was a dump when I was a student 40 years ago and is an eyesore in the middle of the campus today.

Thanks dshoost88 for posting the link.

Indeed... as I understand, Northeastern's financial situation, while not precarious, is certainly not the best either. I expect a big fundraising push. Maybe those big donations will continue to roll in?

I agree with the prioritizing, Cabot and Columbus especially. Cabot is a tremendous eyesore on the University's main thoroughfare, and new academic space is sorely needed.

I had no idea Forsyth had been used in that capacity for that long. I know it was an old parking garage (hence the inclined floors indoors...) but I didn't know it had been academic space for such a long time.

The IMP talks a lot about improving pedestrian use on Forsyth street, and clearing up the muddle of paths on campus. This is good. The rush of students crossing Forsyth between classes completely clogs the street to all forms of automobiles, and there is honestly no straight path through campus without going through some sort of loading dock space.

We'll see what happens. I, for one, am excited.

Back