Northern Avenue Bridge Fort Point Channel

Re: Old Northern Ave Bridge

Articles like this remind me how out of touch I am. I never once thought of this bridge as ugly or an eye sore or was afraid to walk across it. I love it.

+1

I never even thought of it falling down, ever. It's a bit rusty, but she's still a beautiful ol' bridge.

I guess the average person doesn't understand how strong a bridge is even in the shape that the Northern Ave Bridge is in.

The bridge won't be completed until 2030? Why so long???

They should just scrape off the rust, paint it green, remove the fences and chains, do some quick touch up work before the real construction phase.

Screw these people, tis the best bridge in Boston.

Maybe they were scared to cross it because the northern end is a parking lot?

So much for proposals to turn it into a Boston version of the Ponte Vecchio:

http://bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1061128148&position=0

I imagine the city is now going to have to spend money to rehab the mechanical parts.

I wonder if the Summer St. and Congress St. bridges even work anymore. Those two would have to open as well if that grand new boat landing across from South Station gets built. Those haven't been opened in even longer than Northern Ave., although Congress was rehabbed not too too long ago and is in generally very good shape. Summer looks like it might be a crapshoot if it'll work. Bridge is in good structural condition but it doesn't look like it's moved in a looooooong time.

As much as we all love Northern Ave., if it comes to the point where it needs a thorough rebuild to continue functioning I seriously doubt it's going to be worth it. Even if not demolished they may have to leave it permanently in the open position before too long if the Channel is going to get the (very welcome!) boating traffic envisioned for it.

I wonder if the Summer St. and Congress St. bridges even work anymore. Those two would have to open as well if that grand new boat landing across from South Station gets built. Those haven't been opened in even longer than Northern Ave., although Congress was rehabbed not too too long ago and is in generally very good shape. Summer looks like it might be a crapshoot if it'll work. Bridge is in good structural condition but it doesn't look like it's moved in a looooooong time.

As much as we all love Northern Ave., if it comes to the point where it needs a thorough rebuild to continue functioning I seriously doubt it's going to be worth it. Even if not demolished they may have to leave it permanently in the open position before too long if the Channel is going to get the (very welcome!) boating traffic envisioned for it.

F-Line -- it can't be left open as it is not designed to support itself for extended time -- it's ends would sag and then couldn't close -- if it is to be left open -- permanent structural modifications need to be made

i think the best long-term solution is to:
1) build two support piers in the channel
2) open the bridge and tie it to the piers
3) build two small pededstrian bridges -- raised to accommodate most boats at high tide
a) one permanent bridge from the center of the Nothern Ave Span to SPID (available at night for trucks carrying materials to/from the Northern Ave Span
b) a small openable bridge from the Northern Ave Span to the FID side of the channel -- only opened for tall sail boats
4) put out an RFP for someone to redevelop the permanently opened Northern Ave Bridge as a restaurant and shops

F-Line -- it can't be left open as it is not designed to support itself for extended time -- it's ends would sag and then couldn't close -- if it is to be left open -- permanent structural modifications need to be made

i think the best long-term solution is to:
1) build two support piers in the channel
2) open the bridge and tie it to the piers
3) build two small pededstrian bridges -- raised to accommodate most boats at high tide
a) one permanent bridge from the center of the Nothern Ave Span to SPID (available at night for trucks carrying materials to/from the Northern Ave Span
b) a small openable bridge from the Northern Ave Span to the FID side of the channel -- only opened for tall sail boats
4) put out an RFP for someone to redevelop the permanently opened Northern Ave Bridge as a restaurant and shops

...or, knock it down.

Look, historical preservation's nice. But more trouble than it's worth is more trouble than it's worth. The day will come when it can't be opened anymore, and they will have to cdecide whether significant rehab or demolition is cheaper. Sentiment can't cloud this. It doesn't serve critical enough function.

If the Northern Ave bridge is the last surviving example of a swing bridge of this type, odds favor it being preserved.

As an example, reconstruction of two relatively short streets in Washington DC. They are restoring the old streetcar tracks, even thought the streetcar has long ceased running on these streets, and will not run on them in the future. Reason: the last tracks of this kind in the United States. (Although I guess there are still some examples in London? Berlin?)

Excavation and alignment last summer
S6300020.jpg

Nearly finished section of street (March 2012)

6846416377_9cdb0642ea_b.jpg

Yes, the old cobbles were put back too.

Boston.com - November 16, 2012
Boston's New Bridge of Flowers
By Carol Stocker
Almost a century before New York's celebrated High Line was converted from an abandoned elevated railroad spur into an aerial park, Shelburne Falls near Greenfield created its famous Bridge of Flowers from an abandoned railroad bridge over the Deerfield River in a true pioneering act of readapting the refuse of the industrial age.

Next summer Boston may have its own "bridge of flowers" over the Fort Point Channel on the historic 1908 metal truss "swing" bridge.

The Boston Committee of the Garden Club of America has contributed $60,000 to benefit horticultural beautification projects for two of the busiest pedestrian crossroads around the Rose Kennedy Greenway. At the Nov. 16 annual meeting, Chair Michele Hanss gave The Boston Harbor Association a $50,000 grant for installation of a horticultural display along the historic Old Northern Avenue Bridge linking the Rose Kennedy Greenway with the developing Seaport District.

The "Harbor-Link Gardens" proposal will transform the bridge, once considered an eyesore by many, with planters of labeled hardy seaside perennials and shrubs and with blue colored paving.

The Boston Committee's Blossom Fund also presented $10,000 for the Christopher Columbus Park Circle Project to JoAnne M. Hayes-Rines, president of Friends of Christopher Columbus Park. This seed money will underwrite redesign of the misconceived pedestrian circle at that waterfront park.

Pedestrian use of both areas has greatly increased since completion of The Big Dig.

The office of Mayor Thomas M. Menino's issued his statement of support: "Beautifying this bridge will attract more visitors to the popular Harborwalk and act as a fitting gateway to our rapidly growing Innovation District. Improving the Northern Avenue Bridge will also create a visual link to the Rose Kennedy Greenway, and I commend the partnership of public, private and non-profit sectors to help get the job done."

At its annual meeting at The Country Club in Brookline, Hanss also presented Vivien Li and landscape architect David J. Warner, of Warner Larson Landscape Architects, with an Asian spruce, the first plant for the project, which is scheduled for spring completion. Li is president of The Boston Harbor Association, which has succeeded in creating the 40 mile Harborwalk which surrounds and is connected by the bridge. "This generous support will help to set a standard for future plantings and sustainable design along the waterfront," she said, adding that local businesses will help with long term maintenance. Nearby luxury hotel developer Eric Sachsse voiced support and called the modest initiative "exceptionally impactful." Landscape architect Warner Larson will provide pro bono services for the design and oversight of the installation.

Funding from the Boston Committee of the Garden Club of America is raised from a membership of 1100 women from 14 garden clubs in Greater Boston and southern New Hampshire. Said Hanss, "The mission of our consortium is to support horticultural initiatives in Boston that can have an impact on a greater number of people than similar projects each of our member clubs undertaking in our individual communities. Making horticulture and open space a priority in Boston will have a ripple effect throughout the region."

The Boston Committee meeting's speaker was Don Rakow, director of the Cornell Plantations, which encompasses 150 acre arboretum and over 4300 acres of natural areas at Cornell University. His research focuses on the history and management of public gardens. He said urban parks began a revival in the1990's with the return of affluent populations to the city's center. (He mentioned that the Boston Common, created in 1634, was the nation's first urban park.)

Major trends in public gardens that Rakow identified including children's gardens, and efforts to broaden use with multi-lingual signage, wheelchair accessible entries and distribution of free passes at churches and WIC sites.

Public gardens are also wrestling with climate change, Rakow said. Staff at the Arnold Arboretum have documented that many plants are blooming 10-14 days earlier in the spring than those collected in the past as herbarium specimens for Harvard.

And if its still needed after Hurricane Sandy, here's another climactic change caveat: on August 28, 2011, rain runoff from Hurricane Irene (at that point a tropical storm) flooded the Deerfield River and engulfed the Bridge of Flowers in Shelburne Falls.

The bridge idea sounds lovely, but what's wrong with Christopher Columbus Park that would need more work now? It just got a major redesign a few years ago.

I wouldn't mind if they dug up that hideous stamped asphalt and replaced it with real stone.

As for the bridge, I'd like to see some more active uses, like pop up shops, food carts or perhaps the ArchBoston save-all, a beer garden?

I love the shopworn, industrial feel of the Northern Avenue Bridge. They want to cover it with flowers like some early 90s urban renewal project primarily focused on hanging geraniums from lampposts? Screw that.

czsz, have you been to the bridge in Shelburne Falls? It's gorgeous ... and it's also a piece of old infrastructure, creatively repurposed.

I think it'll be a nice addition. The problem with the Northern Ave Bridge IMO is the crap on either end. If they want ti to be a connection between the Innovation District and the Greenway, the area around Hook's Lobster needs some serious work.

czsz, have you been to the bridge in Shelburne Falls? It's gorgeous ... and it's also a piece of old infrastructure, creatively repurposed.

It's a cutesy rural bridge for a cutesy rural town. The problem with Boston is that it continues to believe it's cutesy rural town, which it hasn't been since the 1640s. That's why it has proposed shadow bans, fanatical NIMBYs, open space cults, and few nice things.

Honestly, this will make a very popular and well-used connection between downtown and the Seaport once the latter is more fully developed...does it need to be "activated" with landscaping or uses? Let people appreciate the beauty of its urban industrial aesthetic as-is. Form follows function, we don't need solutions to follow problems that aren't there.

All that said, this bridge in CT is probably a better precedent for what these people would try to achieve with the Northern Ave. Bridge than the one in Shelburne Falls:

flower+bridge+2.jpg

flower+bridge+3.jpg

bridge_2a.jpg

The current condition of the bridge, with 2/3 of it blocked off and unusable by anyone, isn't really acceptable in the long term.

Oh, I get it, it's a High Line. Srsly, if you talk about it like that, it makes more sense and is more appealing.

Back