Northern Avenue Bridge Fort Point Channel

Is this the same competition? It says that the deadline to enter is tomorrow, and it also asks that you consider replacing the adjacent building on Atlantic Ave with a mixed use tower. It also talks of a winter garden, and "rethinking" how the water flows through the Hook site.
Seems pretty strange to me..

On another note, is it assumed that these designs are pedestrian only?

I mean it would be nice if they would do all that. Although I'm not sure how necessary a winter garden is. And I have no idea of what they mean by rethinking how the water moves through the Hook site.

Redeveloping that piece of crap building next to it would be pretty nice though.

Clearance of the Moakley bridge is 16 feet above mean high water.

p. 21
http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/9f285a64-bbd0-4f7d-934b-082d5170495c

The other limitation is Federal Channel width:

Same reference:

"Federal Channel: Fort Point Channel has historically been
an important navigation channel for industry formerly
located in South Bay. A federal navigation channel extends
from Boston Harbor into Fort Point Channel between the
Old Northern Avenue Bridge and the Summer Street
Bridge. The federal channel is approximately 180 feet wide
between the Evelyn Moakley Bridge and the Congress
Street Bridge, and is narrower at other points within the
Fort Point Channel. In general terms, with some very limited
exceptions, structures are not permitted to be located
within areas designated as federal channels. The location of
the federal channel is seen as an asset not an obstacle to
activating the Channel’s watersheet."

I don't think that type of suspension bridge would work well. Remember that the Hook Lobster tower is coming in the next 2-3 years. I just heard today that they are still pursuing it.

I also heard that they only expect the new Northern Ave bridge to carry one vehicular lane and it would be towards Atlantic Ave. The main purpose being that when I-93 backs up into the Seaport/Atlantic/Oliver intersection, those who just wanted to travel down Atlantic Ave wouldn't be stuck on the Moakley Bridge.

There's ample room along the Northern Avenue ROW to fit a structure such as a bridge pylon. It might be expedient to finish that before development on the Hook site starts, either way.

stefalarchitect, I'm blown away by those images. Can you send me that sketchup file? I want to add in a massing model for the Hook dev.

The Guinness™ Channel Bridge, sponsored by Diageo.

3W8fuYJ.jpg

Reminds me of the Beckett bridge in Dublin
snya7r-samuel-beckett-bridge-night-221114.jpg

The Samuel Beckett Bridge is actually my favorite Calatrava bridge. Thanks for bringing it up. I'd love a variation of this in Boston, opposed to the Alamillo.

The Alamillo's tower is striking, but not right for the location in urban Boston. The Alamillo stands tall in the Andalusian landscape, jutting into the air, designed to be seen from afar. While the renders forum members have done scaling down and inserting the Alamillo into Boston are beautiful, the tower awkwardly juts into the Greenway urban environment and clashes with it & buildings around. The Beckett Bridge has more refined & nuanced curves that are focused on center-span rather than the endpoint, which I think is what is needed here.

I dunno guys, I'd be happy with just re-building the bridge in the style of what's there now. If we want to go beyond that, incorporating retail could be a great touch.

All these Calatrava-esque designs just seem like overkill from where I sit. I'd rather put the extra tens of millions to something a bit more productive.

The Samuel Beckett Bridge is actually my favorite Calatrava bridge. Thanks for bringing it up. I'd love a variation of this in Boston, opposed to the Alamillo.

The Alamillo's tower is striking, but not right for the location in urban Boston. The Alamillo stands tall in the Andalusian landscape, jutting into the air, designed to be seen from afar. While the renders forum members have done scaling down and inserting the Alamillo into Boston are beautiful, the tower awkwardly juts into the Greenway urban environment and clashes with it & buildings around. The Beckett Bridge has more refined & nuanced curves that are focused on center-span rather than the endpoint, which I think is what is needed here.

I think that is a great idea seeing the long history of Irish immigration into southie. Makes perfect sense.

Looks great trust me I have a very strong argument in the proposal I have written why this ties into Boston and why this going into the seaport would make perfect sense. The few people I have shown why were like wow that is a beautiful concept. I will post it later on when it is finished, I think you guys will really enjoy my grander vision than just this bridge. Trust me it has a much much greater purpose than just adding a new bridge. That being said I think there needs to be an iconic bridge here with height to be seen for long distances. This alone will make real estate much farther from the waterfront more valuable because those units that cant see the water will still be able to have an iconic bridge view. As development moves deeper into the seaport those parcels will become worth less and less. If they have a skyline view and also an iconic bridge view that value will go up. But my grand scheme is much much bigger than that and I look forward to showing you guys.

Last edited:
I think that is a great idea seeing the long history of Irish immigration into southie. Makes perfect sense.

Looks great trust me I have a very strong argument in the proposal I have written why this ties into Boston and why this going into the seaport would make perfect sense. The few people I have shown why were like wow that is a beautiful concept. I will post it later on when it is finished, I think you guys will really enjoy my grander vision than just this bridge. Trust me it has a much much greater purpose than just adding a new bridge. That being said I think there needs to be an iconic bridge here with height to be seen for long distances. This alone will make real estate much farther from the waterfront more valuable because those units that cant see the water will still be able to have an iconic bridge view. As development moves deeper into the seaport those parcels will become worth less and less. If they have a skyline view and also an iconic bridge view that value will go up. But my grand scheme is much much bigger than that and I look forward to showing you guys.

Beautiful work!

The skyline with this, aquarium tower, millennium, govt center, winthrop would imo become top 5 in the us. Height is nice but it is not everything this would be a beautifully scaled waterfront skyline.

The Massachusetts Historical Commission (MHC) has weighed in about the City of Boston's decision to dismantle and store the NAB:
"The MHC concurs with the Army Corps of Engineer's determination that the proposed project will have an "adverse effect" on the Northern Avenue Bridge. The MHC requests to participate in the review process as a "consulting party" under section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (36 CFR 800.2(c)(1))".

Is anyone going to enter the competition for the design of a new Northern Ave Bridge?????

Is anyone going to enter the competition for the design of a new Northern Ave Bridge?????

If I find the time to actually think this out, yes; that probably won't happen though.
I'm not sure if the judges would approve of what I'm doing but I'm thinking of having three proposals; each one more costly, but more beneficial, than the previous.

NORTH%20AVE%20ISLAND%20BRIDGE_24x36_Board_150psi0001.png

Im a fan of this one...adds a seamless continuation of the greenway with a small beach added...only issue is its a little bigger and longer than it needs to be

01%20Northern%20Ave%20Bridge%20Park%20Submission0001.png

I like this one because its a functional museum...and this will please those who want to just preserve the bridge as is.

Back