NYC Architecture and Development

Jersey City

Rendering%20by%20Roman%20Pohorecki.jpg

Some proposals that never came to be.

21e2874cc96fe18d442223df4dc3edb7.jpg

399CA8D600000578-3862750-image-a-67_1477159922076.jpg

There was even a proposal to fill the east river. Thank god they didnt. Just as the west end is a good learning tool of what not to do, filling in the last remnants of south bay when it was just an extension of the channel is another example.

medium.jpg

Crazy proposal to dig to bedrock in central park.

central-park-1000-foot-glass-walls-new-york-horizon-yitan-sun-jianshi-wu-evolo-skyscraper-competition-designboom-01.jpg

That beautiful ginormous tower in Brooklyn is actually under construction, I never thought that was actually going to happen. That along with a 900+ footer going up in Jersey City. NYC is truly unmatched anywhere in this world. This building is taller than the Chrysler Building and its a true 1 of 1 of modern gothic art deco.

340-Flatbush-Ave-Ext-gallery-4.jpg

9-DeKalb-Rendering.jpg

340-Flatbush-Ave-Ext-gallery-1.jpg

3.jpeg

bk_supertall_3.0.png

340-Flatbush-Ave-Ext-slide-1.jpg

9-dekalb-avenue-01.jpg

Brooklyn... This is going up in Brooklyn. Amazing.

So this ^ is on the right side of downtown then on the left in Jersey City they have the 950' 99 Hudson under construction as well. Theres going to be 3 peaks when looking at lower Manhattan with the World Trade Center in the center and tallest.

99 Hudson: Jersey City

99HudsonStreet_Jan2015_01.jpg

99-hudson-renderingjpg-e4ccf35343930268.jpg

99-Hudson_Grundy_Pier_Dawn_HR_resize.jpg

99-Hudson-Rendering.jpg

99-Hudson_Skyline-Dusk_HR_resize.jpg

99-hudson-street.jpg

99-Hudson-3.jpg

1454185446_99_hudson_render_hudson_st_entry_courtesy_perkins_eastman.jpg

Bonus Points:

jersey-city-development-560-580-marin-blvd-mecca-rendering.jpg

Jersey is really becoming a major city in its own right.

Jersey City technically isnt NYC...but we all know it is. Anyways heres 1 Journal Square:

one-journal-square-2.jpg

Screen-Shot-2016-08-18-at-4.46.56-PM-copy-3.jpg

one-journal-square.jpg

wework-abandons-journal-square-jersey-city-project.jpg

Upon further review apparently making a huge mistake at 2WTC wasnt enough they had to replicate it across the river.

-887c2b9f45064b34.jpg

-49eb62b4fc745425.jpg

-f58f88133f89b370.jpeg

32378317630_f38cb5c4d9_b.jpg

I'll bet when that is finished no one will be able tell when it was built. We need one or two of those in downtown Boston.

We got one in Liberty Mutual and it looks phenomenal. I don't get why it hasn't been tried since. One of those parcels that can go over 500' that we have left has to put one of these in. We don't have a single significant art deco tower in downtown. For a while we were just out of luck and the time had passed but recently thanks to NYC they have remastered the technique again with modern materials and we can now borrow from them and get it done here once and for all.

NYC had so much to choose from already whether new or old, all we need is one. Just one and Boston takes another step forward into that next class especially once 111 Winthrop is finished. If we ever get one it has to have a copper crown and one of those tiny pointy spires like they used to have. They MUST do a copper crown, all we need is ONE. That would also give us the nod because none of their new limestone towers have had a copper crown and their best towers in years past did. We need to do it, and do it right.

The thing I love about architecture today is that you can do whatever you want. You can go all the way from the cross braced wooden tower that London has proposed that has never been done before and looks extremely modern all the way back to a limestone art deco tower that looks like it was built in 1927. The sky is literally the limit.

That Brooklyn tower.... man, I love SHoP. Not everything they design is a hit, but more often than not they come through in a big way. I will always feel some sense of regret that their designs for Winthrop Square- both of them- were passed over.

I will always feel some sense of regret that their designs for Winthrop Square- both of them- were passed over.

Truer words...

I like the first proposal. The second showed a mastery of form, materials, and context that we rarely see in Boston.

I have some general NYC pics, buildings, skylines, etc. Does anybody know where the appropriate place to post them is?

^^^ Paperless, WOW! Great work. Thanks for sharing.

^^^ Paperless, WOW! Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you.

Been here two years. This was a random sampling. I've got a lot.
I guess I could just open up my Flickr account and let everyone see.
In a way, that's better, it's a shame on some of these to have to reduce the size.

I may still post a few more here from time to time.

The view towards lower Manhattan with the supertall in Brooklyn, Jersey City, Central Park Tower, Hudson Yards, along with a completed WTC complex, 45 Broad st. and many more ...etc. This is no joke of a skyline right here. Tri peaks when looking up from the narrows.

PicsArt_08-25-05.22.30.jpg

Last edited:

Back