Occupy Wall St/Boston

kmp1284

Reaction score
Well at least the ventilation parcel near Dewey Square is being used as a staging area for Occupy Boston.

Well, that's a feather in our cap!

Seriously, I can't wait to see those fleabag hippies tomorrow. It's shaping up to be the biggest freakshow in town since the 2004 DNC(too bad they can't put them all in a cage like back then).

Re: Rose Kennedy Greenway

I recommend teasing them onto the Zakim Bridge so the Herald can run a headline like this:

413400095.jpg

Well, that's a feather in our cap!

Seriously, I can't wait to see those fleabag hippies tomorrow. It's shaping up to be the biggest freakshow in town since the 2004 DNC(too bad they can't put them all in a cage like back then).

At least the Fleabag Hippies aren't asking the taxpayers to pay for the setup of their tents.

Ask Ted Kelly (Liberty Mutual) what his bonus was this year?
Or Developer Joe Fallon Development Fee for Fan Pier project was. A quick 10 Million dollars for his pocket at least.
Between these two developments that cost 118 million in tax dollars. Whoever gave the okay for these types of tax breaks should be arrested.

At least the Greenway finally found it's calling. Do yourself a favor and do not drive down there in rush HOUR. This will be a MESS

I actually gave the Occupy Wall St some props until I heard their demands. Then you have our beloved Mayor helping them by letting them use the city generators to help heat up their tents as they continue to occupy the Greenway. So we have a whole agenda going on here with the Democrats. They want more taxes and are willing to risk a civil war ----Rich vs Poor Great Leaders we have in office.

Well at least we have foottraffic along the Greenway.

The only reason we have this movement going on right now is because Obama wants his Jobs bill passed. It's extremely scary that our President and Dems are supporting a classwarefare Rich against the poor. Tax the Rich and if you don't everyone will rise up against you.

In my personal opinion I can't believe this is happening on the Greenway.

I actually gave the Occupy Wall St some props until I heard their demands. Then you have our beloved Mayor helping them by letting them use the city generators to help heat up their tents as they continue to occupy the Greenway. So we have a whole agenda going on here with the Democrats. They want more taxes and are willing to risk a civil war ----Rich vs Poor Great Leaders we have in office.

Well at least we have foottraffic along the Greenway.

The only reason we have this movement going on right now is because Obama wants his Jobs bill passed. It's extremely scary that our President and Dems are supporting a classwarefare Rich against the poor. Tax the Rich and if you don't everyone will rise up against you.

In my personal opinion I can't believe this is happening on the Greenway.

I'm going to be off-topic for just this post because I just can't stand uninformed posts like this.

You know why there's a class warfare tax? Because everybody is calling for a tax cut. Do you know what this does to the Governments revenue? It decreases it. You end up lowering the government's budget. People call for the government to cut spending. Guess what? They barely gain anything back from it because people like you keep calling for tax cuts that cut revenue to the government. Do you know why the president's calling for tax increase for the rich? Because the rest of you are not willing to do your share.

Take a look at some of the European nations' infrastructure and education. Do you know why they are superior compared to the US? It's because about 25% of their money they make are taxed. The US is more at 15%. The US's tax rate is already really low.

You know what's scary? The people calling for tax cuts that will continue to strain the US's budget. You want to cut the deficit? You want them to borrow less? You want to increase the standard of living here? Then increase taxes to all.

Go take a look at this and educate yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starve_the_beast

Rifle- I thought you would have (and maybe you were out at first) been more supportive of the occupy crowd.

I never read too much into the demands or policy that comes from these types of groups and organizations. These are people with real feelings and frustration with the current structure of government and in particular its role with "wall street". I think it is unfair to hold them to the standard of crafting well defined policy. That's why we have a Republic and not a Democracy. Our elected officials and administration heads our supposed to be the filter of our desires and make them into well thought out and defined policies for the common good (re:social contract). This movement will be a success (I am not a participant in it) if our leaders recognize this to come up with sound public policy on the issue, and I think that most all will agree that the current regulatory and policy structure that led us to this mess is an issue, and instead of being resolved has been skirted and politicized.

I find it truly comical when tea partiers, republicans, older people in general dismiss these actions as the stupidity of privileged youth. I particularly like reading and hearing comments telling these kids to go out and get a job. Really! just like that. In fact the fundamental argument of these protests is the same as tea partiers, the system failed many and needs to change, and that change hasnt happened. Both extremes would probably answer the same to the following: should companies be too big to fail? should companies be allowed to continue deceptive lending practices or pursue risky financial instruments? should companies making billions and people making hundreds of millions a year pay less of their income in taxes than someone wiping floors, teaching children, designing buildings?

However, instead of seeing the commonality of these fundamental questions on what kind of society there should be, people cry class warfare. Meanwhile, rich people have the same low tax rate, and many in the middle class have real problems paying for school, pay to get to work, paying to live in their house, and buying food. Fortunately, I am not one of these people, and you know what, many of these kids may not be either, but to deny that its a problem experienced probably by a lot of people that are criticizing them is ridiculous. Everybody wants to be successful, I would love to be rich and buy a bought and go on a nice vacation and pay for my kids college someday, and i am working towards that. But i dont want to get to that point and drive by a line at the food bank or free health clinic to do it. That's not the society i want to live in. So when I think about the priorities i want my government to operate on, I want it to be one that supports businesses to grow, and supports people into entering the system. Not one that supports the record profit growth of American companies at the expense of infrastructure and education. I don't want a welfare state for people or companies. There needs to be balance.

Unfortunately, the 99% as they label themselves will fight against each other on issues that they fundamentally agree. Meanwhile the 1% will be left untouched.

Sorry this is a tangent, but i've been watching this stuff for the last couple days and trying to figure out why the vitrol of some older middle class poor people waving flags for palin complaining about medicare and young kids complaining about crushing student debt aren't actually on the same side.

Feel free to move to another thread.

Choo -

Nice analysis. You're right that many on both sides of this "issue" (I'll call it an "issue" even though this whole "thing" is very amorphous). But, I think what you're missing is that there is a real generational divide at play here.

GenY/Millenials have come into the workforce at one of the unluckiest times ever: a weak economy, a degrading mismatch between their skills from college and the jobs on offer, and crushing student debt from having overpaid for a bachellor's degree. The generation is, studies show, largely urban-minded, transparent (the facebook generation) and civic-minded. They look at the suburbs where they grew up and see 1) places they will never afford and 2) places they probably won't want to live anyway.

Meanwhile Boomers and their slightly younger followers have been the "me-too" generation, accumulating great material comforts on debt, large homes, often retiring early to pensions. So now you have a lot of middle-aged people watching their wealth and pensions evaporate, many of them still shouting "me too!" into the wind. And the cries for "me too" will only intensify as this generation becomes older, sicker, and ultimately unable to navigate the cul-de-sacs they call home.

So GenY/Millenials ultimately are seeing, over the last 10 years, a tremendous transfer of both wealth and promise from their generation to meet the priorities of those who are 30-50 years older, those same people who ran up our cumulative debt, lived large, and ultimately lost a lot of their wealth to banks - which, it bears mentioning, maximized their profit in the context of a regulatory milieu that was set up for the benefit of the go-go highly leveraged economy that the Boomers came into and hoped to see continue.

So, both sides are angry. And for legitimate reasons. But for each side, part of the anger is - perhaps legitimately - pointed at those on the other side of the generational divide.

This is anready very evidently true in Europe's PIGS countries (Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain) and it's rearing its head here too, now.

I'm going to be off-topic for just this post because I just can't stand uninformed posts like this.

You know why there's a class warfare tax? Because everybody is calling for a tax cut. Do you know what this does to the Governments revenue? It decreases it. You end up lowering the government's budget. People call for the government to cut spending. Guess what? They barely gain anything back from it because people like you keep calling for tax cuts that cut revenue to the government. Do you know why the president's calling for tax increase for the rich? Because the rest of you are not willing to do your share.

Take a look at some of the European nations' infrastructure and education. Do you know why they are superior compared to the US? It's because about 25% of their money they make are taxed. The US is more at 15%. The US's tax rate is already really low.

You know what's scary? The people calling for tax cuts that will continue to strain the US's budget. You want to cut the deficit? You want them to borrow less? You want to increase the standard of living here? Then increase taxes to all.

I never called for tax cuts. I think the nation needs to face a deflationary economy at this point. Our country consumes way too much. The people that work hard in life need to be compensate. So raise interest rates for the working class. The real problem in this country is the FEDERAL RESERVE. They are private organization that controls the United State currency. All this interest free money is nothng more than destroying the working class to save the bankers.

Ask yourself this question Why does our Govt officials allow a private organization called the Federal Reserve to print Money that is backed and paid for from the AMerican people but they charge us interest on our Money?

Why doesn't our Govt create American Back Bonds and issue the interest payments back to the American people if the currency is based on faith?

Basically we are paying Foreign Interests who control our banking system, So those are the people that make the RULES.

99% need to look into the mirror and ask how we all ended up in this situation. We'll our politicans make the RULES and bottom line they are supposed to ENFORCE them.

Yes... some people on Wall Street belong in prison for the rest of their lives. But our Politicans are TRAITORS to the American People. When the rules only apply to the Middle Class and poor people you have a very unbalanced society.

As a country we consume way too much. I believe our best bet for a while would be deflation......raise interest rates and bring back sound money. Does it really matter if your kid is playing Ninento or does he have to have Xbox, Playstation 3,4,5 and Wi. That's what our society doesn't get. America is consuming way too much and not being thankful for what we have.

There are many more problems especially the Wars, Mexico, Immigration. Somebody really needs to clean house in Washington. These people have no values or morals. They play both sides.

Choo -

Nice analysis. You're right that many on both sides of this "issue" (I'll call it an "issue" even though this whole "thing" is very amorphous). But, I think what you're missing is that there is a real generational divide at play here.

GenY/Millenials have come into the workforce at one of the unluckiest times ever: a weak economy, a degrading mismatch between their skills from college and the jobs on offer, and crushing student debt from having overpaid for a bachellor's degree. The generation is, studies show, largely urban-minded, transparent (the facebook generation) and civic-minded. They look at the suburbs where they grew up and see 1) places they will never afford and 2) places they probably won't want to live anyway.

Meanwhile Boomers and their slightly younger followers have been the "me-too" generation, accumulating great material comforts on debt, large homes, often retiring early to pensions. So now you have a lot of middle-aged people watching their wealth and pensions evaporate, many of them still shouting "me too!" into the wind. And the cries for "me too" will only intensify as this generation becomes older, sicker, and ultimately unable to navigate the cul-de-sacs they call home.

So GenY/Millenials ultimately are seeing, over the last 10 years, a tremendous transfer of both wealth and promise from their generation to meet the priorities of those who are 30-50 years older, those same people who ran up our cumulative debt, lived large, and ultimately lost a lot of their wealth to banks - which, it bears mentioning, maximized their profit in the context of a regulatory milieu that was set up for the benefit of the go-go highly leveraged economy that the Boomers came into and hoped to see continue.

So, both sides are angry. And for legitimate reasons. But for each side, part of the anger is - perhaps legitimately - pointed at those on the other side of the generational divide.

This is anready very evidently true in Europe's PIGS countries (Portugal, Ireland, Greece and Spain) and it's rearing its head here too, now.

I agree Shepard. The generational disparity is obvious from the composition of the crowds themselves. Im definitely in the younger generation (24) and I have to admit that I feel like I will end up paying for the benefits that my parents and enjoy in their adult life and grew up in that I won't and my children wont, and that a large part of that comes from them never fully paying for what they wanted. Interstate highways, great, but the gas tax no where near funds their operation. Good schools, awesome lets build a lot, but the property tax support is not there. Single family homes, lets build out a house an acre but then not maintain the sewer, gas, and water lines serving them. Now, they are old, not working, and it is our generation that will not only have to continue to build out these future investments, but pay to rebuild the stuff they never wanted to maintain.

It is something I have accepted, because i still have to drive on the crumbling road, and i think things like HSR to NYC are valuable investments. Further cuts don't solve anything, but they defer and make the problems exponentially worse, yet this is what many (esp. older generation) want because they have the false idea that the taxes are too high. In some key areas, the rich and, they can and should go up. Comparison with the rest of the world proves that.

However, very disheartening is that because of this divide, whether it be left or right, young or old, rich or poor, there still is the issue of will the government make the necessary investments or continue the same path.

I think one of the main failures of the tea party types, is that despite the flag waving and patriotism, they do not choose to unite in a common purpose of building the country to new levels of greatness, but are instead promoting making people less connected to the success of the whole but pushing the tax cut agenda to no end.

Oh, and just to stay on thread topic- Greenway!

You know why there's a class warfare tax? Because everybody is calling for a tax cut. Do you know what this does to the Governments revenue? It decreases it..... Do you know why the president's calling for tax increase for the rich? Because the rest of you are not willing to do your share.

Kent...
I suggest you acquaint yourself with the facts before you stand on the proverbial soap box and vituperate about tax cuts

First both US Federal, and total (Fed, State and local) expenditures as a fraction of Net National Income (or GDP if you are careful as GDP includes government) are at all time highs, as of course is the size of the deficit (excepting WWII period) and in nominal $ the total debt and debt as percentage of NNI or GDP.

There is just no more that can be squeezed out of the economy -- if you increase the tax burden or the equivalent means of siphoning assets from the private sector (e.g. borrowing, or inflating the currency) you will just depress the economy causing tax revenues to fall further.

On the other hand if you cut the marginal tax rates and cut spending to get closer to a balanced budget -- you will spur the economy and seemingly paradoxically you will actually increase the tax revenues -- and eventually you might even be able to get back to the current total of spending -- but at a much smaller fraction of a much bigger economy

Take a look at the effects of the 1981 tax cut which slashed marginal rates and doubled the tax revenues and despite the failure of Congress to make the promised cuts in spending -- ERTA (i.e. the Kemp-Roth tax Cuts) initiated the greatest gain in employment and longest lasting expansion in US history.

This same prescription can be as effective today as it was after the wasted decade of the 1970's culminating in the "Carter disaster," despite the greater impact today of the Obama administration's oppressive regulation of the private sector.

from the wikipedia article -- The Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 (Pub. L. No. 97-34), also known as the ERTA or "Kemp-Roth Tax Cut," was a federal law enacted in the United States in 1981. It was an Act "to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to encourage economic growth through reductions in individual income tax rates, the expensing of depreciable property, incentives for small businesses, and incentives for savings, and for other purposes".[1] Included in the act was an across-the-board decrease in the marginal income tax rates in the U.S. by 23% over three years, with the top rate falling from 70% to 50% and the bottom rate dropping from 14% to 11%. This act slashed estate taxes and trimmed taxes paid by business corporations by $150 billion over a five year period. Additionally the tax rates were indexed for inflation, though the indexing was delayed until 1985.
The Act's sponsors, Representative Jack Kemp of New York and Senator William V. Roth, Jr. of Delaware, had hoped for more significant tax cuts, but settled on this bill after a great debate in Congress. It passed Congress on August 4, 1981 and was signed into law on August 13, 1981 by President Ronald Reagan at Rancho del Cielo, his California ranch.
[edit]Summary of provisions

The Office of Tax Analysis of the United States Department of the Treasury summarized the tax changes as follows[2]:
phased-in 23% cut in individual tax rates over 3 years; top rate dropped from 70% to 50%
accelerated depreciation deductions; replaced depreciation system with ACRS
indexed individual income tax parameters (beginning in 1985)
created 10% exclusion on income for two-earner married couples ($3,000 cap)
phased-in increase in estate tax exemption from $175,625 to $600,000 in 1987
reduced Windfall Profit taxes
allowed all working taxpayers to establish IRAs
expanded provisions for employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
replaced $200 interest exclusion with 15% net interest exclusion ($900 cap) (begin in 1985)

Last edited:

You know why there's a class warfare tax? ....

You know what's scary? .....

Yes, I know what's scary: that anyone would hold up Europe as an economic model for us. The EU is about to implode from the weight of their social largesse.

There is just no more that can be squeezed out of the economy -- if you increase the tax burden or the equivalent means of siphoning assets from the private sector (e.g. borrowing, or inflating the currency) you will just depress the economy causing tax revenues to fall further.

On the other hand if you cut the marginal tax rates and cut spending to get closer to a balanced budget -- you will spur the economy and seemingly paradoxically you will actually increase the tax revenues -- and eventually you might even be able to get back to the current total of spending -- but at a much smaller fraction of a much bigger economy

"Seemingly paradoxically," huh? You can't honestly believe this trickle down drivel. This theory has failed on a substantial level and is a large part of why are currently in this mess. How do you explain the degradation of the middle class? Bush's tax cuts for the rich not large enough?

"There is just no more that can be squeezed out of the economy."

Please, someone think of the billionaires. Someone defend our massive multinational corporate "persons" with their offshore tax shelters, cheap Chinese labor, and bought-and-paid-for puppet congressmen. If only Joe CEO could take home 22 million this year instead of 20 million, surely he would invest in America and save the economy.

Kent...
I suggest you acquaint yourself with the facts before you stand on the proverbial soap box and vituperate about tax cuts

First both US Federal, and total (Fed, State and local) expenditures as a fraction of Net National Income (or GDP if you are careful as GDP includes government) are at all time highs, as of course is the size of the deficit (excepting WWII period) and in nominal $ the total debt and debt as percentage of NNI or GDP.

Take a look at the effects of the 1981 tax cut which slashed marginal rates and doubled the tax revenues and despite the failure of Congress to make the promised cuts in spending -- ERTA (i.e. the Kemp-Roth tax Cuts) initiated the greatest gain in employment and longest lasting expansion in US history.

This same prescription can be as effective today as it was after the wasted decade of the 1970's culminating in the "Carter disaster," despite the greater impact today of the Obama administration's oppressive regulation of the private sector.

from the wikipedia article -- The Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 (Pub. L. No. 97-34), also known as the ERTA or "Kemp-Roth Tax Cut," was a federal law enacted in the United States in 1981. It was an Act "to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 to encourage economic growth through reductions in individual income tax rates, the expensing of depreciable property, incentives for small businesses, and incentives for savings, and for other purposes".[1] Included in the act was an across-the-board decrease in the marginal income tax rates in the U.S. by 23% over three years, with the top rate falling from 70% to 50% and the bottom rate dropping from 14% to 11%. This act slashed estate taxes and trimmed taxes paid by business corporations by $150 billion over a five year period. Additionally the tax rates were indexed for inflation, though the indexing was delayed until 1985.
The Act's sponsors, Representative Jack Kemp of New York and Senator William V. Roth, Jr. of Delaware, had hoped for more significant tax cuts, but settled on this bill after a great debate in Congress. It passed Congress on August 4, 1981 and was signed into law on August 13, 1981 by President Ronald Reagan at Rancho del Cielo, his California ranch.
[edit]Summary of provisions

The Office of Tax Analysis of the United States Department of the Treasury summarized the tax changes as follows[2]:
phased-in 23% cut in individual tax rates over 3 years; top rate dropped from 70% to 50%
accelerated depreciation deductions; replaced depreciation system with ACRS
indexed individual income tax parameters (beginning in 1985)
created 10% exclusion on income for two-earner married couples ($3,000 cap)
phased-in increase in estate tax exemption from $175,625 to $600,000 in 1987
reduced Windfall Profit taxes
allowed all working taxpayers to establish IRAs
expanded provisions for employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs)
replaced $200 interest exclusion with 15% net interest exclusion ($900 cap) (begin in 1985)

Odd that you example the 1981 tax cut (which was accompanied by a massive increase in deficit spending), but completely ignore the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts.

- How did our economy do in the 1990's?

- How did our economy do in the past decade after the major tax cuts of 2001 and 2003?

And, btw, rich individuals are NOT "Job Creators".

Corporations are.

Lower corporate tax rates (while closing loopholes) and raise taxes on the top 1% of individuals by 2-3%. They will make it back on the increased profits from their corporate holdings.

"Seemingly paradoxically," huh? You can't honestly believe this trickle down drivel. This theory has failed on a substantial level and is a large part of why are currently in this mess. How do you explain the degradation of the middle class? Bush's tax cuts for the rich not large enough?

"There is just no more that can be squeezed out of the economy."

Please, someone think of the billionaires. Someone defend our massive multinational corporate "persons" with their offshore tax shelters, cheap Chinese labor, and bought-and-paid-for puppet congressmen. If only Joe CEO could take home 22 million this year instead of 20 million, surely he would invest in America and save the economy.

It's really tough to blame Wall Street when our Politicans make the rules. Why do the taxpayers pay for Govt Agency's that are supposed to police the regulatory system? How much does the SEC cost a year to be the Watchdog for the American Taxpayer.

The ex-head of the SEC Christopher Cox should be in prison. He just turned a blind eye to all this. Hank Paulson Treasury Secretary and Timmy Geithner is supposed to work for the American Taxpayers. What were their solutions bailout out the people that got us here in the Trillions.

What is the Federal Reserve doing? Trying to create Hyper-Inflation and destroy all the working class and savers of this great nation. They are trying to destroy the backbone of hardworking American Morals.

Why isn't Ex-Head BOA Kenny Lewis in Jail. Basically Paulson and Geithner told him to buy Merril Lynch because he is doing an honorable thing for America. Kenny Lewis was accountable to all his BOA Shareholders that trusted him as CEO.
Mr. Lewis should be right next to Bernie Madoff for this type of dealing.

Paulson and Geithner should be held on the death penalty at this point.

What is the FBI doing? NOTHING.......Looking for Terrorists. We'll just read the paper at home we have the Foxes controlling the Henhouse.

The Sheep are completely clueless---

The use of the RKG by Occupy Boston might merit discussion in this thread.

But this level of political debate has no applicability whatsoever. Plenty of other online channels exist for this. Or maybe thread can be dedicated to politics on ArchBoston for friends, members and whoever else wants to participate.

Rather than seeing Occupy Boston as a socialist/statist/libertarian movement, I think we should just recognize it at as being anti-Facist. Face it, that's what we have now, the government treating everyone like peons and doing everything they can to make corporations cushy and protected. Bailouts are bullshit, let the mismanaged companies rot.

Most of the "anti-authoritarian" protestors would be quite happy with an authoritarian regime if they were the ones in charge.

If you gathered up a large group of Tea Partiers and OWSer's and asked a simple question:

"Was the government bail out of large banks and corporations complete bullshit?"

I'd bet you would get a resounding, uniform "YES!"

You really have to love the Hypocrisy from Deval and Menino towards the Teaparty and Occupy Wall St. Movement. Free Electric, trash pickup, All Night police security for the Occupy Wall St crowd.

Teapartiers are still paying the permit fees.

I actually believe our Politicans think they are STALIN, Nooky Thompson. It's a matter of time when people will see that it's the Politicans playing both sides.........

I always hated Obama but I never thought he would try to cause classwar and Honestly seeing how Deval and Menino are acting something is not right with this movement. I believe it's Obama forcing the Republicans to accept his job bill or ELSE........ Pretty crazy.

I think the city's response is actually very smart. Would you be confrontational, then have them chased around, tear gas, that whole situation? They arent causing any issues, I went by there today for a doctors appt. (actual dr. not in a tent) and it was no issue.

This is why public spaces exist! as much as we love PO Square, this could never happen there.

This isnt a commercial activity, like a parade or concert, which i think should have permits. But I think gatherings like this shouldnt need a permit. If a city can deny a permit, its stifling democracy. The Tea Party shouldnt need one either if they did something similar- but if i remember correctly they set up a stage and have a giant bus come in, thats not a gathering, its a show and should be registered.

Back