One Greenway (Parcel 24) | 0 Kneeland Street | Chinatown

Re: Parcel 24

Not all of Chinatown should look like Tyler Street, any more than the whole North End should look like Hanover Street.

That's true, Ron. I just hope that the retail rents in this project are affordable for some of the community-owned businesses to move in. And I like the idea of an Asian Supermarket like Super 88 anchoring the Kneeland Street corner, open to the street in the warmer months. Done right, it could be a landmark.

first design>>new BU tower>>new design

But the question is: why did the architects change the design, what do they have to gain from going from the original design to this new one? Surely the BU tower isn't so great that it would change an entire design to a copy and I don't think that it's the same architectural firm.

I personally think the older design was slightly more interesting: it wasn't anything groundbreaking, but it also wasn't the same old stuff that we see around the city.

As Tim Jackson pointed out, I had said the other day that it was massive, but mostly because I walk by the site every day and in person the site seems tiny. On thinking about it though, if the community will swallow it this is the site for high density with south station nearby and the orange line on the other side. I'm not against density at all, but against mega-block developments: they all seem too hulking, and in turn the architects resort to the same few gestures to break up the massing.

I much prefer the organic way cities used to evolve with additions added over time to meet a community's need...certainly the urban character that resulted was better. I can't think of a single mega-project in the city of Boston that gets it right.

On this one, the tower on the corner seems decent, but the middle block is lacking in any major ideas, and so we get the usual kit-of-parts moves to try to break down the scale.

I may be in the minority here, but I actually like the new design better. The old one just seems like a very long bland building, while the new one feels more like separate buildings. It also seems crisper and cleaner, and the use of different colored materials makes it "pop" more.

What did this block look like before it was torn down for the Turnpike?

But the question is: why did the architects change the design, what do they have to gain from going from the original design to this new one?

The BRA insisted that Harvard Street extending to Albany had to be opened, therefore, the open park space. If you compare the original design, the park space (if you could call it a park) was smaller, similar to a courtyard. The request by the BRA to open the extension from Harvard St. to Albany St. forced the change of the the massing from the original, a step down, to the current U-shape design. The other option was to build less units which the developers were unwilling to.

Disclosure: No connection to development team.

Last edited by a moderator:

That's true, Ron. I just hope that the retail rents in this project are affordable for some of the community-owned businesses to move in. And I like the idea of an Asian Supermarket like Super 88 anchoring the Kneeland Street corner, open to the street in the warmer months. Done right, it could be a landmark.

There is 10,000 sq/ft broken into 2 spaces that are allotted for affordable community space. Super 88 market not happening in the market retail space, not enough square footage to fit such a market. The transportation and trip generation analysis presented in the DPIR also does not support the argument there will be any supermarket in the future.

Disclosure: Not part of development team.

The BRA insisted that Harvard Street extending to Albany had to be opened, therefore, the open park space...forced the change of the the massing from the original, a step down, to the current U-shape design. The other option was to build less units which the developers were unwilling to.

A third option wold be to make the the building a couple stories taller on each of the step downs, therefor creating more density. Unfortunately, in this city, that would have probably been shot down almost immediately.

A third option wold be to make the the building a couple stories taller on each of the step downs, therefor creating more density. Unfortunately, in this city, that would have probably been shot down almost immediately.

Not true. How does one explain that 120 Kingston and the State Street building a block away are both taller?

Height can be achieved in Boston, I'm just illustrating how difficult it is to get height built in this city. Can it be done? Sure, but it is very difficult, and it discourages some developers from going high.

Besides the fact that the new design stinks, that "park" is all wrong. Sticking parks on corners like that just sucks the life out of the entire intersection.

Returning to something InTheHood pointed out: the street renderings look nothing like Chinatown. I definitely agree with that, the renderings are rather malnourished, and also the texture and color of Chinatown comment seemed astute. However as I walked through the area from South Station this morning, I was surprised that there really wasn?t a ?riot of color? in any of the buildings. Definitely lots of neon signs, but almost all of the buildings themselves are rather prosaic and probably built before Chinatown was actually Chinatown. I for one don?t want to cut the architects any slack, but is signage really what we are talking about to make the architecture look like Chinatown?

Backing up though, what is the big criticism of the project? For me it looks too bland, and too similar to other projects of the last few years, and is another ?understated modern project that fits in with its neighbors?. But do any of the Goody Clancy projects scream ?cutting edge?? Honestly none of the big architectural firms in town (CBT, Payette, Kallman McKinnel, Jung Branen, C7A, Rawn, Goody Clancy) do anything that I would consider cutting edge.
On looking at the renderings again, it doesn?t seem bad, but it really doesn?t seem to be very inspired. It looks like a slightly bigger version of 1330 Boylston, with maybe a little better proportions. Can we just get something more bold and more original on this site?

You say "nothing like Chinatown"? When I think of Chinatown, I think of the Mass Pike Towers. Parcel 24 is an improvement ...

When I think of Chinatown, I think of the northernmost block of Tyler Street, and the block or two of Beach Street leading to the Gate. These streets are fun to walk around, but I don't expect a whole neighborhood to look like that, not if people are going to actually live in it.

At one time the entire neighborhood north of Kneeland Street looked like that. It was ablaze with neon. South of Kneeland it was less so.

And Parcel 24 is south of Kneeland, so the more restrained look is appropriate there.

BRA approves major residential project in Chinatown
Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman

The Boston Redevelopment Authority approved a $125 million, 325-unit residential project in Boston?s Chinatown neighborhood.

The project, located on land known as Parcel 24, will return housing to an area of Chinatown after 45 years. The area was claimed backthen to make way for a Massachusetts Turnpike ramp.

The completion of the Big Dig has enabled the block, bordered by Hudson, Kneeland, and Albany streets, to be reconnected to the larger neighborhood.

The development team is aiming for an affordable housing goal of nearly 50 percent of the total residential units, including approximately 70 rental apartments, and between 66 and 99 condos. Another 156 to 189 condos will be sold at market rate. The project will be located near public transportation and include environmentally friendly components such as Energy Star appliances, highly durable materials, and efficient utility systems.

The developer, Parcel 24 LCC, is a joint venture between the Asian Community Development Corp. and New Boston Fund Inc. The project architect is Goody Clancy. Construction is scheduled to begin in about a year and take two years to complete. The project will provide approximately 700 construction jobs.

Article URL: http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/10/13/daily60.html

This project is the definition of irony:

A major government-backed construction from decades ago has wiped out ethnic, affordable housing, and now the Rappaports are the ones fixing the scar, and constructing a 50% affordable housing complex....

Their atonement for the West End?

It'll take more than this to atone for the West End.

It was a real feel good session at the BRA when this came up yesterday. I thought the earlier renderings were nicer than the current one, though. Bit of a housing project aesthetic now.

Back