One Greenway (Parcel 24) | 0 Kneeland Street | Chinatown

Me too. There's definitely some weirdness going on with these cores.

Me too. There's definitely some weirdness going on with these cores.

Briv -- there's an opportunity here

For as long as Boston is booming and using the concrete core technology of building -- they cut a deal with the City Fired Department -- firemen often train on similar towers. But this would give the firemen a good sense of what a modern building looks like when it doesn't yet have any skin.

TTB_tower.jpg

^And why would that be necessary for fire fighters to know? In case a concrete core catches on fire somehow and nobody is in danger? Haha.

I thought this was some modernist church tower I somehow never saw in Boston before.

On the left side is the stair tower, it's just that the steel stairs haven't been installed yet that makes it look so odd. The contractor may block the open side off with CMU (concrete block) or fill it in with shaftwall or other fire rated drywall framed partition. The right side contains the elevator core.

For those arguing about public use - building management has been aggressively trying to get vagrants out of the park. For a while there was a mattress stored in the sheltered area behind the ramp where addicts would sleep. It was filled with trash and drug paraphernalia necessitating a hazmat team to clean up. They put up fencing and hired extra security to try to maintain that.

As far as the new building goes: I noticed on the mock up that it has some pretty small windows. Must be aimed at minimizing energy use. I wonder what the average unit size will be when they're going to for lower income market. It's strange to see anything go up these days that isn't super luxury. Steel has been rapidly going up this week too. I have to imagine they're hoping to get it somewhat enclosed before we get too much snow. I've never seen so much activity in such a small space.

Briv -- there's an opportunity here

For as long as Boston is booming and using the concrete core technology of building -- they cut a deal with the City Fired Department -- firemen often train on similar towers. But this would give the firemen a good sense of what a modern building looks like when it doesn't yet have any skin.

TTB_tower.jpg

The image is of a training facility built by the city for use in the training of the Boston Fire Department.

After WTC, I believe the national building code was changed to prohibit use of 'cinder block' for stairwells.

For those arguing about public use - building management has been aggressively trying to get vagrants out of the park. For a while there was a mattress stored in the sheltered area behind the ramp where addicts would sleep. It was filled with trash and drug paraphernalia necessitating a hazmat team to clean up. They put up fencing and hired extra security to try to maintain that.

As far as the new building goes: I noticed on the mock up that it has some pretty small windows. Must be aimed at minimizing energy use. I wonder what the average unit size will be when they're going to for lower income market. It's strange to see anything go up these days that isn't super luxury. Steel has been rapidly going up this week too. I have to imagine they're hoping to get it somewhat enclosed before we get too much snow. I've never seen so much activity in such a small space.

I know that all 51 of the condos in Phase 2 are designated affordable ownership. And I believe they are a mix of one, two and three bedroom units, but on the small side in terms of square footage.

The image is of a training facility built by the city for use in the training of the Boston Fire Department.

After WTC, I believe the national building code was changed to prohibit use of 'cinder block' for stairwells.

Stellarfun -- I believe that the prohibition is only for unreinforced block --- which is ironic since even unreinforced block would have probably let the people above the impact zone have a chance to escape -- the stairwells in the WTC just had sheetrock for walls

RandomGear posted:
On the left side is the stair tower, it's just that the steel stairs haven't been installed yet that makes it look so odd. The contractor may block the open side off with CMU (concrete block) or fill it in with shaftwall or other fire rated drywall framed partition. The right side contains the elevator core.

Ultimately for new construction the evolution of the reinforced concrete elevator core from just a structural element into an integrated utility and access core with stairwells as well as elevators increases the human survivability of a building

The internal structure of many new buildings also better protect evacuation routes. For those who have watched tall buildings rise since Sept. 11, many will notice that this thick concrete core goes up first. Nicole Dosso, director in the technical group at SOM, said, “There was a real concerted effort to make sure that all the infrastructure for life safety and for egress was sitting behind a protected core.” World Trade Center buildings have gone up with a high-strength concrete never before used in New York City buildings. Their cores are protected by extremely strong walls ensconcing the most essential functions of a building, including mechanical escape routes and stairwells.
https://commercialobserver.com/2016...st-911-buildings-with-fresh-ways-to-get-down/

A lot of the mock ups I've seen use smaller windows than the actual building will have to save space on the mock up--you need to see the relationship of the materials not necessarily the size. I haven't seen the renderings for this, but that could certainly be what's going on here.

Since Phase 2 of One Greenway is still under construction, it is not like the initial sales and rental period has expired.

Back